Optima Mid ZX Hybrid build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Optima Mid ZX Hybrid build

Post by Kyoshojoe »

I decided to build an Optima Mid Lwb Lazer zx hybrid. I am using parts from several donor cars.

The first donor was a TF-4R which graciously traded its one-way for a gear drive and its spring-tension diff shafts for wave washer tension shafts.

I am using a derlin center gear and a lite-sink motor mount. Being that this will be a runner I had some used mid gear boxes with the wing mounts broken off the rear so I made an inspection hole that will get a cover plate.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid ZX Hybrid build

Post by Coelacanth »

I've got a diff question for you, or anybody else who's checking this out: I'm using a similar ball diff in my OptiMutt car, but it lacks that little round black & clear rubber plugs that you insert into one end to cap off the adjusting screw...does anybody have some spares or an idea to fabricate a substitute?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

I've got a diff question for you, or anybody else who's checking this out: I'm using a similar ball diff in my OptiMutt car, but it lacks that little round black & clear rubber plugs that you insert into one end to cap off the adjusting screw...does anybody have some spares or an idea to fabricate a substitute?
I've heard of cuting down ear plugs to use as dust covers. A hole punch set from harbor freight and a peice of craft foam works too.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

The second car I pillaged for parts was a Lazer zx with a drilled graphite chassis, graphite ZX-R shock towers and servo saver shafts. I used maxxum front arms and zx rear arms, the maxx arms have the same exact geometry as the lazer but have the sway bar link mount hole that the mids use.

The final donor was a first gen Lazer ZX-5 which i took Alloy hubs, servo-saver and Cvds.

this pic shows a classic mid front suspension using the zx-5 sp rear cvds. I will find out the part number and dimensions and post

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

I am using an Optima Mid LWB drive train mated to a ZX graphite chassis plate. The mounting holes were near perfect and I only had to modify the rear gear box holes and drill new ones for the top deck support. I had to file the front chassis where the front gearbox ears mount to clear them but other than that a near perfect fit.

Here are some pics of the progress.

So far I am really liking the way this project is coming together. I will get a list together of the parts and compatability. I will post more pics soon.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Some more progress, got the top deck, wheels, servo, and steering linkage installed. Have to figure out a battery hold down and a center brace but at least its looking more like a car now.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Kyoshojoe wrote:The final donor was a first gen Lazer ZX-5 which i took Alloy hubs, servo-saver and Cvds.

Man, that's a sweet-looking ZX-5. I love the body & paint, that's certainly different, something you don't see every day! Are you keeping the beefy front wheels & tires on your final build?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Kyoshojoe wrote:I decided to build an Optima Mid Lwb Lazer zx hybrid. I am using parts from several donor cars.

The first donor was a TF-4R which graciously traded its one-way for a gear drive and its spring-tension diff shafts for wave washer tension shafts.

[url=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/kyoshojoe1/media/OptimaMidZX023_zpsa20de34b.jpg.html][
why do that the diff is better with the spring and nut.......

mvh isobarik

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

I used the better diff set up in this project as i dont really use the tf

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Man, that's a sweet-looking ZX-5. I love the body & paint, that's certainly different, something you don't see every day! Are you keeping the beefy front wheels & tires on your final build?
Thanks, the body came with a car I got off fleabay so I can't take the credit there. I am keeping the wheels on this car for now, I'm always swapping parts from one car to another so who knows where they will end up in the future.

Made some more progress, got the electronics installed and the battery situation worked out.

Its been raining for a week and a half now so I havn't gotten much wheel time to dial this puppy in, but the couple of times I have been able to run it were awesome. She handled like a dream and was extremely agile and stable. Mostly running on pavement and short grass. In all honesty its only drawback right now is the servo is too fast and super sensitive making it tend to over correct at higher speeds.

I took a picture next to a SWB optima mid roller to show a comparison. I am leaning towards getting a TBG lazer zxr body for it

Here is a list of the mods:

-Optima mid LWB drive train, top deck, and belt covers
-Litesink motor plate
-Robinson Racing 85 tooth 48 pitch spur gear
-derlin center gear
-Spring tension rear ball diff
-front one-way bearing
-lazer zx graphite chassis
-maxxum front arms
-lazer zx rear arms
-lazer zx-5 PN racing 7075 aluminum front and rear hubs and steering blocks
-Kyosho fs2 turnbuckles
-front and rear cvds with hex pin setup
-velvet shocks
-chassis isolated steering servo mount
-lazer zx-5 servo saver
-front and rear sway-bars
-turnbuckle adjustable rear toe block and lazer zx-5 suspension mount
-lazer zxr graphite shock stays
-rear skid plate
-hobbywing 35amp brushless esc and 3500kv motor
-spektrum 2.4 reciever
-longitudinally mounted lipo battery
-clip on motor cooling fin

Can't decide if its more of an Optima or more of a lazer.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Looking good

What are the silver pieces on the back of the rear gearbox?

I would still consider it an Optima Mid because of the gearboxes, I built up something similar in this thread and I class it as an Optima Mid based on that fact

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34445

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

The rear skid bends up to capture the hingepins and keep them from sliding out. I had a adjustable toe suspension mount that I used on this project. I put a zx5 suspension mount in rear front. the zx5 mount let the hingepins pivot without binding and thus I was not able to use e-clips and had to basically come up with a way to keep the pins in, The skid also helps to brace the mounts.

Jester_The_RC_Guy
Approved Member

Post by Jester_The_RC_Guy »

Kyoshojoe wrote:The rear skid bends up to capture the hingepins and keep them from sliding out. I had a adjustable toe suspension mount that I used on this project. I put a zx5 suspension mount in rear front. the zx5 mount let the hingepins pivot without binding and thus I was not able to use e-clips and had to basically come up with a way to keep the pins in, The skid also helps to brace the mounts.
glad to see another floridian in the forums!

Jester_The_RC_Guy
Approved Member

Post by Jester_The_RC_Guy »

i should get a lazer zx chassis to do this with, cheaper than the optima mid lwb chassis, and fits quite well according to you
also, see this zx chassis, bit pricey but may be worth its weight in gold. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-LAW54-Aluminum-HD-Main-Chassis-Conversion-Set-Lazer-ZX-6-/131574784394?hash=item1ea277e18a
also, did you use a lazer top plate, or a optima mid lwb top plate?
once again, these the cvd's you use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-Lazer-ZX-5-SP-60-5mm-Universal-Swing-Shafts-KYOLA258-/271946592163?hash=item3f5147afa3

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I´d say that´s the normal price for a ZX6 Chassis - either carbon or aluminum.
Gone fishing