What has happened over the past thirty years with the Scorpion?

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Hcp22
Approved Member

What has happened over the past thirty years with the Scorpion?

Post by Hcp22 »

What has happened over the past thirty years with the Kyosho Scorpion?

For the moment I’m (was) the “lucky” owner of two NIB Kyosho Scorpion’s that differ thirty years in age. So I'm going to build the new one, and compare the parts with the old Scorpion and try to point out the differences between the parts. I will start with the boxes, and then star with the actually building as you know are almost done.

When you compare the boxes they look the same at first, but when you look closer you will see there is a big difference. The 2014 one is always on top...

Her is a close up on the technical spec, still 2014 first.

When lift the lid it looks like this.

This is the first time sins -97 I'm assembling a new kit, so here we go.

The first thing I notice after opening bag A & B is that all the aluminum parts is thicker than the original parts. And the resembles with the -85 works Scorpions/Tomahawks is almost spot on. But knowing that Kyosho hired the original designer was hired form HPI for this project it came as no surprise. Mr. Akira Kogawa was also team driver and her is some pictures of Akira's works Tomahawk.

First out is the chassis rails, they are almost identical except for bit more kick-up and that holes for the bumper slightly moved forward on the 2014.

As I told you earlier are all aluminum parts except for the chassis rails about 0.5-0.75mm thicker. All screws underneath are countersunk on the 2014 compared with original Scorpion that had button head screws. This was a perfect brake after jumps on the old car.

Next is the servo saver: They are almost identical, spot the difference... the new one is on the right side. I also notice the new spring is as weak as the old one. So to get this to work on a runner you need to put a 1mm thick washer underneath the spring.

There is also a part that you only fine on the Tomahawk; the distance is mounted with the front shock towers rear screws. A new feature on the new car is that the front arm shaft has markings that will help you line it up and in the right angle. But when I compare this to the original manual this would be the wrong angle, the arm shaft should parallel with the kick-up. One thing that still is missing is a set screw on the arm shaft holder to keep the arm shaft in place. At least that's my opinion... but that’s easy to fix.

The rear sus plate in one piece appeared first on the Turbo Scorpion; the old version is in two pieces.

Next is the gearbox and here Kyosho had done the most of the modernization. The gearbox is preassembled, the only thing you have to do it to drop in the RB5 gear diff. This means that the RB5 ball-diff will also fit.

Back in the days Kyosho newer sold anyball-diffs to the Scorpion; they only made some for their works cars.

That wasn't any problem because others did. The most legendary is the Thorp/Dirt Burners ball-diff. Others were MIP, Nodis and some others.

One thing that puzzles me is that Kyosho didn't make an adjustable motor plate this time neither. They still insist to only have two gear ratios. This problem has already been taken care of by Dwayne in California. And Chris (REC) has said he have some idea how to make an adjustable motor plate.

They have equipped the new gearbox with a slipper clutch, but it doesn’t look that good I think. I might be out of line her, so correct mi if I’m wrong.

The rear shock tower also has its roots from the turbo version; it has three attach screws to the gearbox. Originally there were only two screws.

When attaching the gearbox to the gearbox plate, don't tighten the screws. The resend is that Kyosho done the fitting of the driveline a bit too tight. On the old Scorpion you had the problem with losing dog-bones all the time. So this time they rely tighten it up, but they over did it. The mounting holes on the gearbox plate should have been a few tenth of a millimeter further back. At least that’s my opinion.

The rear arms are a bit different, the new ones on the left. The rear arms pivots are also different; the new ones are mad out of steel and the old ones is in aluminum. Now you have to try to get the rear arms move up and down freely.

The 10mm socks first appeared on the Turbo, the original ones had outer diameter off 8mm.

When assembly the shocks, do not forget the almost invisible gaskets/sealing’s.

When I assembled the rear motor cage I noticed that the plastic is much harder than the original one. But the bumper is softer than the original. Now it starts to look like a Scorpion…

I have chosen to go with a red radio tube sins I had advance paint job in mind. Kyosho had done some upgrading sins last time (30 years). Nowadays you can bolt the steering servo instead of using double-sided tape and a strap. I noticed that you can use any type battery packs.

But on the other hand they kept the old “cable tunnel” instead of upgrade it to the Turbo version. On the turbo version you can slide down the cables to the “cable tunnel”.

If you gone run a brushed motor with two cables than it’s okay, but I gone run a 17.5T with 4 cables in total, then it will be a tight fit. So I did my own modification with my Dremel...

The body is almost the same as the old Scorpion except for the drivers head made in ABS.
I'm not that fond of "box-art", so instead of yellow I did mine white. So that's my "advance" paint job guys, no masking, just a rattle can...

When I was trying the body I discover that the front shock towers is too close to radio box as it was on the old Scorpion as well. So I did as I use to do, just bend the shock towers slightly and problem is solved.

The roller bar are made out of the same harder plastic as the rear motor guard. A new fetcher is a hock that snap around the aluminum roller bar.

The wheels are updated to one piece wheels, the old ones had 3 pieces at the rear and 2 at the front. The first tires that came with the Scorpion had Good Year on the sidewalls, later it was Sand Super. Now you have Good Year on one side and Sand Super on the other side. One thing they did in the factory was to put the tires in the blister pack before the paint was dry. So part of the Good Year printing is still in the blister pack.

Another difference between the rear tires is the blocks. The new ones have smaller blocks and come in 3 different compounds as the front tires.

So what do I think about the Kyosho Scorpion 2014? Well I would say this is a copy of the -85 Kyosho Works except for the slipper. Just like this 3 team cars at the Japanese championship in 85 with their drivers.

Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

RC10resto

Re: What has happened over the past thirty years with the Scorpion?

Post by RC10resto »

Well done Lars 8)

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Thanks Lars. :D
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Good write up, Lars.
And nice pictures - Thanks
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Excellent writeup and comparison...I just love how this looks, all the aluminum-nums get me all hot and bothered in a way Tamiya re-re kits don't. :oops:

If I had the budget right now, I'd love to have one of those and go to town on it. You can bet there'd be polishing, especially the rough edges of the shock towers and such, to give them a nice, smooth surface, and there would definitely be some anodizing. And the last color you'd ever see on it would be yellow. I love how Lars' build looks in red & white. I think I'd do one in mostly black ano with red ano bits here and there, with black body & red/orange accents.

Maybe someday...
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks Lars, superbly done :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Thank you guys; there are some minor things that I forgot, so I will update the first post later on. :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Just beautiful Lars, you really did a superb job, all that editing must have taken a long time :shock:

There are a lot of bits I LOVE about the new re-release. I thought I would get the trailing arms, but looks like they are a tad thicker and very much rounded, compared to the original, they are thicker. I prefer the slim nature of the original, they look more stunning. These trailing arms were what got me hooked onto the scorpion buggies, I had first seen them on Mr. Eds hybrid racer, looked cool. Well they did make a beefer rear trailing arms for strength, both had sharp defining contours for shape unlike the re-release. Thats just my personal preference, I don't think anyone would be so super critical about these details, its not like tamiya sand scorcher front trailing arms, those are REALLY beefed up :!:

I like the front shaft caster locks, beautifully cast, looks better than the original, it has that bold look that will catch your eyes when you look at the front.

I'd prefer the orignal tires, here I guess Lars has the old new vs the new, look how shiny the old ones look vs the plain texture of the new ones, I love the GOODYEAR ones, looks real. But the re-re tires are just as nice as the old ones, same form and better performance with the smaller block patterns.

The gearbox cover is the best, the stealth design is just perfect, its a looker.

Gearbox not as nice looking as the original cause of the extra screw mounts but with the added benifit of metal gears and ball diff, easy installation of diff, its as modern as you can get, and they have stayed very true to the original even with all these modern design add-on.

These are beautiful buggies, changes are there but minor, a few loose ends, generally it is a very improved buggy.

Once again thanks for the comparison Lars!

Bo Wallen
Approved Member

Post by Bo Wallen »

Well done Dr Scorpion Now wee know. By the way How was your Scorpion packed........did it survive transportation ?
RedBoxRacer™

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

nice work Lars. will we be seeing this car at the next vonats?
i'm planning of running mine there. i had a similar paint/look planned, might have to change that up now. :wink:

i love that roof. i'm going to have to get one of those.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Bo Wallen wrote:Well done Dr Scorpion Now wee know. By the way How was your Scorpion packed........did it survive transportation ?
Yes it did Bo and it was super well packed my friend! BTW: it was a Sidewinder

kaiser wrote:nice work Lars. will we be seeing this car at the next vonats?
i'm planning of running mine there. i had a similar paint/look planned, might have to change that up now. :wink:

I don't know, it leans towards the Tomahawk R again, it has two more race under the belt sins VONats 2013.
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Bo Wallen
Approved Member

Post by Bo Wallen »

Hcp22 wrote:
Bo Wallen wrote:Well done Dr Scorpion Now wee know. By the way How was your Scorpion packed........did it survive transportation ?

I don't know, it leans towards the Tomahawk R again, it has two more race under the belt sins VONats 2013.

Hmmmm.......Sidewinder...........did not see that......When i can stand on top of the box (230 LBS) it's good for shipping :o) Your Suite is ready for vonats.
RedBoxRacer™

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

The front end of this buggy looks like the Tamiya SRB's. Is that a coincidence or was it intentional? Do those shocks fit the SRB? Great work - I really did not know anything about Kyosho buggies.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Riverside Race Team

Post by Riverside Race Team »

Hcp22 wrote:
I am glad you were happy with the packing I have been the receiver of some bad packing,,So I try to make things I ship make it in one peice... :D

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

This is a really nice write up with the comparison of new and old parts. I must add one of these to my wish list. :wink:
Jeff