alien3t
Approved Member

Kyosho beetle rere

Post by alien3t »

ca-rj
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho beetle rere

Post by ca-rj »

That makes sense. I hope after this they will consider an Optima re-release.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

An Optima re-re would certainly be intriguing, but seems to me Kyosho would really be opening a big can 'o' worms with that one. The Optima was an awesome car, but there were so many weak links that might need to be addressed with a re-re.

-Modern slipper gear would be required, as with the Scorpion;

-Weak shock towers always getting bent, needs to be addressed;

-Weak front chin skidplate always folding up with front-end collisions, must be somehow redesigned;

-Chain always getting loose, requiring frequent re-tightening of those several frame-rail screws, removing links, etc.; would it be re-re'd with the popular and necessary belt conversion?

-Original final pinion gear too weak, needs to be machined from hard-anodized aluminum or steel instead.

But yes, I'd certainly be interested to see how Kyosho would implement an Optima re-re.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Coelacanth wrote:But yes, I'd certainly be interested to see how Kyosho would implement an Javelin re-re.
In all colors of the rainbow, meaning orange, yellow, green, blue, and red.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

What, no pink or purple??
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Some of the flaws of the Optima could probably be easily improved now, and would be worthwhile if the fixes were applied to another rere as well, and some would be a little harder
But I have to say that I would rather have the Optima rereleased with some of the flaws in tact than see it done with a shaft drive for example

I suspect it would be belt

What would be really cool is if they rere the Optima with belt drive and some fancy new ball diffs which it turns out get used in their next flagship which is now belt rather than shaft drive

I think I have said it before but I anticipate the original Ultima would be a definite for a rere seeing as it won the worlds, maybe they could do a replica of the worlds car in some way, which had a grand total of three standard parts lol

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Definitely "NO!" to a shaft-driven Optima...it ain't no vintage Tamiya! :P It would either have to be belt-driven or chain-driven, provided the latter had a stronger chain that won't stretch as much and the car was designed with a better way of tensioning the chain/belt.

I think the Optima was arguably the more winning car, it kicked nothing but a$$ and Optimas took nearly all top 10 spots in that fated ROAR championship race...was that in 1986? The Ultima happened because of the Optima, I would suggest. :) (The Ultima would indeed be *easier* for Kyosho to re-re, though.)

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

Coelacanth wrote:An Optima re-re would certainly be intriguing, but seems to me Kyosho would really be opening a big can 'o' worms with that one. The Optima was an awesome car, but there were so many weak links that might need to be addressed with a re-re.

-Modern slipper gear would be required, as with the Scorpion;

-Weak shock towers always getting bent, needs to be addressed;

-Weak front chin skidplate always folding up with front-end collisions, must be somehow redesigned;

-Chain always getting loose, requiring frequent re-tightening of those several frame-rail screws, removing links, etc.; would it be re-re'd with the popular and necessary belt conversion?

-Original final pinion gear too weak, needs to be machined from hard-anodized aluminum or steel instead.

But yes, I'd certainly be interested to see how Kyosho would implement an Optima re-re.

If they addressed the weak points of the Scorpion so well, the Optima will be a cake walk for Kyosho.

It's an interesting release, the Beetle was not very popular. I guess their strategy is "milking" lol. If they really want to milk some more, they'll release the side winder next. Then hit us over the head with a Tomahawk, and finalise the poison sting with the Turbo Scorpion

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The Beetle release sounds more like Tamiya, making re-re's of cars that used very similar parts; as you said, "milking". A Tomahawk couldn't be far behind the Beetle; all three have virtually identical/interchangeable chassis parts.

I think the Optima poses significantly more structural and design challenges than any 2WD chassis. ;) I'd love to see them do it, of course!

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Is the front wheel on the box art car mounted backwards?

http://cdn9.rccaraction.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/kyoshobeetle.jpg?43230e

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

You´re right, it looks awkward - Possible some kind of computer generated picture.
Or perhaps, the first take on the re-re beetle front wheel?
Gone fishing

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

The nostalgia in me says awesome! The collector in me says for crying out loud please stop!

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Are they going to do a 7-ribbed front tires? That would be realistic and cool. Wish they could up the body a little, add more details to it, possibly make it from hard plastic like tamiya. For performance and racing, a laxen works just fine though.

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

BLOODYHELL, its got a caged like bumper!!! I so want that

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/kyosho-announces-beetle-re-release/

Its gonna look aggressive with that and a pair of spot/fog lights upfront 8)

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

Lowgear wrote:The nostalgia in me says awesome! The collector in me says for crying out loud please stop!
I kinda agree with this, except re-releases are already a thing, so we might as well enjoy them.

I bought a brand new Beetle from Scottish racing legend Jimmy Hamilton for £50, built it and raced it at the first Scottish off road national meetings in 1985.
I'll be getting my pre order in soon :)