Handling comparison of a Kyosho Scorpion/Beetle rere vs RC10 Gold

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ea77

Handling comparison of a Kyosho Scorpion/Beetle rere vs RC10 Gold

Post by ea77 »

Considering the Kyosho

But I'm on the fence. In the videos I've seen on youtube looks like the car has a tendency to understeer, and one comment was that it was nose heavy in flight.

Like to hear from owners of a Scorpion what their thoughts were on the cars handling characteristics. Is it neutral, how does it compare to an RC10 gold?

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Handling comparison of a Kyosho Scorpion/Beetle rere vs RC10 Gold

Post by Phin »

You just have to look at which car modern cars developed from to suss out which has better handling. ;)

Semi-trailing arm suspensions tend to oversteer the more traction the surface you're running on has. As track surfaces improved a-arms became the clear choice for suspensions because they were more adjustable and could maintain consistent tire contact with the track surface.

I love me the Circuit 1000 cars but the main reason to run them nowadays is the fun factor. If you're concerned enough about handling that it's going to determine which side of the fence to land on then you should go with the RC10. Or split the difference and find yourself an Ultima. :)

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I agree with Phin although there´s people on this board who can race the Scorpion - But then again, I guess they could succesfully race a can of tuna on wheels.

If the last buggy You drove was a SRB or hornet/grasshopper, You´d be very pleased with the Scorpion.
If You´re a Kyosho fan, I´d look for a Turbo Ultima, Pro or XL.
Gone fishing

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

http://youtu.be/d1B6EHCnA3I

(posted by CHKTM in the scorpion thread)

looks pretty good to me. i'm gonna race mine on a large outdoor track for as soon as the winter is over.
until then i'll try it out indoors.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

I guess it would be hard to do a direct comparison unless you've got both buggies on the same track and do lap times with them both but to be honest I don't think the Scorpion would be left behind, it has astounded me with how good it handles just out of the box and I'm sure there is improvements to be made. I've just fitted a 9.5t brushless and it can handle that power perfectly easily. I have had older RC10s before and own a GT also so I'm familiar with their handling and I like the Scorpion to drive better. In all honesty I'm tempted to race the Scorpion against the modern electrics at my local track and I'm sure it'd do well. I found the handling very neutral out of the box the balance was good for me but there's a heap of infinite adjustment in the front end to play with. One thing I have found is after a few hard crashes the caster adjustment had moved a little. I used a bit of green locktite on the shaft then bolted it down, I had a few big crashes after this and it hasn't moved again. To be honest I think this buggies handling was way ahead of its time.
Heres a little video I did using a 20t brushed motor earlier.
http://youtu.be/yYid1Ktc0E4

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

DennisM wrote:I agree with Phin although there´s people on this board who can race the Scorpion - But then again, I guess they could succesfully race a can of tuna on wheels.

If the last buggy You drove was a SRB or hornet/grasshopper, You´d be very pleased with the Scorpion.
If You´re a Kyosho fan, I´d look for a Turbo Ultima, Pro or XL.
Hey Dennis, not trying to be smart but do you have a re re Scorpion or have you tried one, I ask this because I would have thought the same had I not driven the new Scorpion. The last buggy I drove was a 1/8 Hong Nor X1CR to a national title and I can say I'm very impressed with the Scorpions handling.
I have owned an Ultima Pro and can agree it is a sweet ride for sure also.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Maybe the shocks might be more effective on the RC10 possibly, the std shocks on the Scorpion may be smaller I'd say, they work quite well on the track with std 25wt oil but for bigger jumps I'd say heavier oil would be better, possibly the RC10 might handle these bigger jumps better with stock shocks. The buggy jumps quite well in general I felt but it is super soft out of the box.

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

[youtube][/youtube]
ea77 wrote:Considering the Kyosho

But I'm on the fence. In the videos I've seen on youtube looks like the car has a tendency to understeer, and one comment was that it was nose heavy in flight.

Like to hear from owners of a Scorpion what their thoughts were on the cars handling characteristics. Is it neutral, how does it compare to an RC10 gold?
Buy an RC10, at least AE might support their customers unlike Kyosho who suck at supporting anyone who supports them.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

CHKTM wrote:
Buy an RC10, at least AE might support their customers unlike Kyosho who suck at supporting anyone who supports them.
They do? I thought that was only a problem in the early 2000nds when they dropped Great Planes as a distributor...