Optima mid vs Lazer?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Twister

Re: Optima mid vs Lazer?

Post by Twister »

Welshy40 wrote:Lazer by far a better car, mind ypu my buddy Rama aka Alcyon may say otherwise. You can still buy chassis and all varients including my design the tub. Also all towers, steering plates, L braces all from fibrelyte and belts are being made again and sold on ebay, so not too hard to race it. Im still racing mine and can beat the new cars easily and have proved this numerous times but did create a cf rear gearbox so i could tension the belts to handle a 4.5 brushless. It wheelies sometimes and is so much fun to drive unlike the new cars sold now.
Well sir you are clearly the champion of lazers ang rightfully so, i'm very happy to hear that the tubchassies i aviable again
I am a sucker for hop-ups and especially carbon stuff :) we raced in Norway last summer and the lazers were whispering silent and suspensionwise it was the smoothest. It made quite an impression. A perfect combination would be a swb Lazer ha ha :lol: a swb mid is purely a nostalgic pick and lazers for the win i guess. Thank you all for great advice :D

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Lol welshy40..i wouldnt say the lazer isnt great..but in my opinion the biggest advantage handling wise the lazer has over the mid is suspension. You place the better suspension in the mid you also get the handling.
they just have different ways of transmiting power.
modifying too much of either cars can get very expensive.i would suggest the ultra necesary parts only.
For me that would be the vts system ..and the right springs ..tyres and caster blocks and ball diffs if on low traction surfaces.. the 120gbp tub chassis should only be on the total fanatic's list 8)

Twister

Post by Twister »

alcyon wrote:Lol welshy40..i wouldnt say the lazer isnt great..but in my opinion the biggest advantage handling wise the lazer has over the mid is suspension. You place the better suspension in the mid you also get the handling.
they just have different ways of transmiting power.
modifying too much of either cars can get very expensive.i would suggest the ultra necesary parts only.
For me that would be the vts system ..and the right springs ..tyres and caster blocks and ball diffs if on low traction surfaces.. the 120gbp tub chassis should only be on the total fanatic's list 8)
Yes the suspension is impressive on lazer, i have bought a zx-rr and i am hoping to post my progress with tranforming it into a mean machine in this thread. I have not given up on the mids though, you simply can not have to much kyosho :D

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Thanks for the nice words Twister, really made my day. Looking forward to seeing it.

Ok I am a lazer fanatic through and through and do admit Alcyons mid with those mods is as good as mine, no harm in having both. Also Alcyon makes some really good option parts for both cars including the layshaft which ive helped design with him and tested. Vts is the only way forwards) with both cars

120 gbp for the tub is cheap when you consider its hand made unlike the pre programmed flat parts which are cut by machine. Still am happy that we have finally got the layshaft sorted.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

Welshy40 wrote:Thanks for the nice words Twister, really made my day. Looking forward to seeing it.

Ok I am a lazer fanatic through and through and do admit Alcyons mid with those mods is as good as mine, no harm in having both. Also Alcyon makes some really good option parts for both cars including the layshaft which ive helped design with him and tested. Vts is the only way forwards) with both cars

120 gbp for the tub is cheap when you consider its hand made unlike the pre programmed flat parts which are cut by machine. Still am happy that we have finally got the layshaft sorted.
I will get my lazer sorted in a few months. I am having durabilty issues with the front suspension blocks..i have solced the problems with the rears. Also i have to get proper springs for the lazer . I find that durango stock bb springs are perfectly suited but i only have one set. I will get a set copied and my zx should be ready to rumble again.

Twister

Post by Twister »

I would like some advice comcerning suspensionarm strenght. While cornering with the car on a tight track and racing and rubbi'n is tolling on these vintage vehicles. How do you prepare your lazer for tough racing?I have heard of som weak spots in/on the front bulkhead. Solution? Dont hit stuff off course but i have an habit of doing just that :shock:

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Hej twistar kul att du hittat hit :)

Things to do

Front gearbox is weak so for strenght use an shocktower that are connected on top
La-30 the inner pinn holders front and back are also a weak spot so getting the
FF ( front front ) in alu ( expensive) or in carbon ( cheap ) i have the carbon version
Works great cant take the hole credit for it since whelsy made the drawing for me Thanks James

Avaliable From fibre-lyte

Mvh isobarik

MattiasL

Post by MattiasL »

You really don't have to worry about the suspension arms. I broke one, but only after trying very hard on an indoor carpet track. I made a front front hinge pin brace from aluminium with very simple tools, ie a handheld drill and a file. Careful measuring is the most difficult part about it.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Twister wrote:I would like some advice comcerning suspensionarm strenght. While cornering with the car on a tight track and racing and rubbi'n is tolling on these vintage vehicles. How do you prepare your lazer for tough racing?I have heard of som weak spots in/on the front bulkhead. Solution? Dont hit stuff off course but i have an habit of doing just that :shock:
I use a semi circular front tower under the ZX section on fibrelyte but redesigned it and made the bottom pillar thicker and also made it 4mm thick and has resolved it from breaking. Ive also got alloy pivot blocks and have put a soft thin shock seal between the pivot block and wishbone to stop slop, washers will also work.
Also dont use the carbon fibre wishbones, standard are kevlar reinforced and unlike the brittle carbon fibre version is hard to break.

Pm me if you want help and advice as well as Iso.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below

cheropache73

Post by cheropache73 »

I know, old post. But I prefer the Lazer just because they seem like a nicer car overall.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

That they are, simple and can change the rear belt on a standard car in five minutes flat. Its a great car and fun to drive, not boring like the current 4wd cars.

Sponser links below