Raced My LWB Optima Mid today

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

alcyon
Approved Member

Raced My LWB Optima Mid today

Post by alcyon »

On the 8th of February, which is today, I raced my LWB mid in the 4WD class. as you all know the vintage class is non existent here, so I had to pit my Mid against all the modern cars. In total we had 15 guys racing today.
The competition consisted of in order .
1. X ray XB4
2. Durango DEX 410 V3 & V4
3. Caster S10B

So 1st heat in the morning. I used the green custom special body. Had quite a few skirmishes with a beginner who whacked on my car. I also crashed a lot as I lost my rhythm and there is some lack of power, as my 8.5T failed a week before and I didn't want to buy any motors as of yet, so I used my trackstar 10.5T motor from my Lazer ZX. I brought the ratio down to 7.9, and also I almost maxed out the motors endbell timing to get maximum speed. The 5100mah saddles I used lack power and I had problems clearing some short spurt jumps.
This is my result.

2nd heat. A fellow next to me had a look at my proline M3s and he remared that I might get more grip if I flipped the tyres the other direction. Since I had nothing to lose and my 1st heat was dismal, I tried it. Also I used my ORCA 6000mah stick pack and cable tied it tightly. The car was much better this time, it was rather quick and I made fewer mistakes, and I had the punch to clear the short spurt jumps. Indeed I improved my placing and cut down my lap times substantially, but I was miffed that had I not made any mistakes I could have gotten 13 laps like Ramesh with his XB4.

3rd heat
Again, another good run, the best of the day. I made almost no mistakes and the car was easy to drive, I took the 1st position for 2 laps before some screw ups, and also a 10.5T against 8.5 and 7.5 is no match. As a result of less mistakes, I managed to net 13 laps !

I was stoked that I am one of the guys who made 13 laps. not only that, I beat a sponsored driver name Azman Azam, which I have never ever achieved before in my life, he always beats me.
So I qualified 5th in the A final.
we ran 3 mains

1st Main
At the start off I went and drove clean lines as the first few cars piled up. Kept my cool and got the lead for while, before Ramesh with his XB4 got the better of me, then Shem with his DEX 410. I traded places a couple of times up and down, but finally managed to keep at 3rd.
2nd Main, Same sotry, another good run, with great challenge from William with his caster S10B, overtook me, but some how he made too many mistakes, and my mid caught up, overtook him and stayed consistent even though he had more speed, again maintained position at 3rd.

3rd Main, same thing, a massive pile up in the 1st turn, and I lead for a while, made a few mistakes and also wasn't fast enough as the shem and Ramesh, so ended in 3rd, but I did slip to 5th once but managed to chase back to 3rd before the 4 mins mark.

Sponsored Kyosho driver David Lim with ZX6 was set to win but he had durability issues today in all 3 finals, if he was sorted I would have been 4th..
Still happy with the way it turned out as a lot of people took my Optima Mid seriously today, William even joked that he wants to get the race organizer to ban customized cars like mine .

After the race, I ran my SWB mid, and I was totally amazed at how it handled. With the MId arms and Durango normal shocks, and gear diffs, the car was really quick and went through the corners very quickly with only an occasional spin out, I dare say that I may have been able to go one place up with the SWB, I don't know why it drives so well, even though I put so much effort into my LWB. It could be the short arms and small bore shocks works well on this track. I am going to try the SWB in the next race.

notarex
Approved Member

Re: Raced My LWB Optima Mid today

Post by notarex »

Nice job- It's good to see a mid holding its own. As a side note, if I could go back and pick my own name - it would be "Dragon Loong" :mrgreen:

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Well done mate, you see a good car in the right hands will go far. Now ive got competition
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Nice work Rama mate congrats,so much more rewarding driving an old girl especially when they hold there own in competition.. :mrgreen:

CHKTM
Approved Member

Post by CHKTM »

Nice to hear the Optima did well, did you get out and race the Scorpion the other day?

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

CHKTM wrote:Nice to hear the Optima did well, did you get out and race the Scorpion the other day?
I have not bought any 2wd buggies yet. I did see a guy on youtube who drove a scorpion really well and i am tempted to get one. But a buddy of mine who is also into vintage buggies..let me drive his 93 worlds rc10 re re..and i was totally blown away by how it handles..it was so easy to drive and i immediately got the hang of it .in fact i drove it better than him, and even lapped some 4wds in practice..i didnt want to hand him back the rc10...i think the 93 worlds car is what i wanna get to race in 2wd. I am pretty confident i can nail the top 3 with it. The guy who owns that rc10 drove it to a 4th place victory..i think i probably can go up to 2nd..

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Do it Rama mate join the dark side or is that light side .. They are quite cheap right now also which is good and they basically build themselves their so easy and maintenance is a joy compared to some kits especially Vintage 4WD's...

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Its great to hear the Mid is performing so well.
Do you have any plans to make a layshaft for the VTS slipper with a shorter spring like you have for the Lazer or is I not needed for the Mid?

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

HKS_TRD wrote:Its great to hear the Mid is performing so well.
Do you have any plans to make a layshaft for the VTS slipper with a shorter spring like you have for the Lazer or is I not needed for the Mid?
Yes I have a new layshaft for the Mid that can use VTS, but you need to do a slight modification to space out the gear cover so that it wont hit the VTS. Also with VTS you cannot used any finned motor plate. IMHO the standard B4 slipper is already great stuff, especially with the white standard slipper pads, which slips smoother and does not stick to the plates after it cools down. I had great results with the standard B4 with white pads on my SWB mid. I am using the VTS on my LWB for this race, and I don't find it to be that much advantageous, perhaps if I were using a very low turn motor that might not be the case, but with a 8.5 and above, the standard B4 works great. If you still want a VTS optima Mid shaft, its available. All the new shafts I sell from now on brings the spur closer inside, hence VTS compatible, and I will include the shorter spring too.

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

[youtube]8Ei3LWWwOSk[/youtube]
Last final of the day, notice after the first big jump, one buggy annoyingly forced my OMCS into the track barrier, costing me some time, and placing me 9th. Luckily I managed to wiggle my way out and fought my way up. In some laps you don't see my car, it because the camera man just missed it as his frame of view was just a tad over the path my car was travelling.

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

Good stuff!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

nice track! i like the fact that it's loose and dusty. makes it a challenge.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Mate, one day I am going to have to bring my Lazer over and show you some real speed :lol: but congrats, never thought you'd go so far a couple of years back but with a little perseverance and great design skills look at you now.

Oh yes talking of 2wd, this is in my cupboard and is a sweeter ride, never the less the repro kinwald is worth buying as it has a B4 slipper so vts will work.
Attachments
IMG_20150208_135621.jpg
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

alcyon wrote:
HKS_TRD wrote:Its great to hear the Mid is performing so well.
Yes I have a new layshaft for the Mid that can use VTS, but you need to do a slight modification to space out the gear cover so that it wont hit the VTS. Also with VTS you cannot used any finned motor plate. IMHO the standard B4 slipper is already great stuff, especially with the white standard slipper pads, which slips smoother and does not stick to the plates after it cools down. I had great results with the standard B4 with white pads on my SWB mid. I am using the VTS on my LWB for this race, and I don't find it to be that much advantageous, perhaps if I were using a very low turn motor that might not be the case, but with a 8.5 and above, the standard B4 works great. If you still want a VTS optima Mid shaft, its available. All the new shafts I sell from now on brings the spur closer inside, hence VTS compatible, and I will include the shorter spring too.
How much closer to the motor plate does the spur gear sit with the new layshaft, and how much shorter is the new layshaft overall?
Is the VTS just a two plate setup on the outer end of the spur gear but its the same single plate as the B4 on the motor plate side of the spur or am I getting confused
Maybe a couple pics of your new setup would help

Oh and have to say its really really pleasing to see your Mid perform so well

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Great job!