Big Brute Fix-4/4 Pics

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Winger
Approved Member

Re: Big Brute Fix-Body Paint Update 3/9

Post by Winger »

The saga continues....

I got the parts truck/car (Hi_rider Corvette) from Sam which is much nicer than this BB, so I hate to tear it up to fix this BB and another reason mentioned later.*

I did win a lot of parts that had some of the parts needed to complete this BB project: http://postimg.org/image/6w5yt6q21/
The rear axle hubs, wheel hubs and pin retainers, knuckle arms and two wheels/tires which is why I got this stuff. Was hoping the wheels were good.....WRONG. I had to "weld" them back together as I gently removed the rubber tires. The wheels seem strong enough now to run around in the back yard...but VERY gently (the way of the BB). I took the tires and ran them through the ultrsaonic cleaner for 30 minutes each then put them in a plastic bag with an armor all equivalent to let them soak up some juices while the actual build awaits: http://postimg.org/image/57upm36br/

Onto the next auction which lead me to an original LeMans05 motor, an original Kyosho Pulsar Pro 2000 in the box, a Futaba ESC, an original MSC, knuckle arms and an *engine to a Hi-Rider Corvette. I thought it was so cool to actually find the controller still with the original box. This is the same controller I got with my kit, which I eluded to in my story in a previous post.

Seller finally got the bearings in stock so they are all ordered now. Now the wait for them to arrive....

I am considering using a MSC since I have an original correct one for this model.

And another auction...waiting on the B Block from UK.

Couple more pics:
1. New Parts to Project, http://postimg.org/image/mqwx7c2zh/
2. Tires, http://postimg.org/image/59o35t7w7/
3. Wheels (really rough): http://postimg.org/image/gkfa1ycfd/

Paint still dragging along slowly....

Oh, also working with snaab to see what options we have for tires/wheels (see his tires thread).

*I might just save the truck from Sam for a later project. It sure is a good piece compared to this project. Thanks a ton to Sam for this model.

Update: TBG is having a 20% sale, I have had a Protech 2 body on my ebay watch list for about 2 years for another resto., I needed a Tamiya Fox body for a model I got from someone on this site (I think) the Hi-Rider Corvette body seemed really inexpensive and this BB body probably will not turn out so, I bit the bullet and ordered these four bodies. Oh, and the wife was out cooking a pie. :lol:

Winger
Approved Member

Re: Big Brute Fix-Parts Update 3/12

Post by Winger »

Bearings arrived and I was able to get this mostly built.

The rear axle shafts that came in a parts lot I thought were for the BB were actually for the USA1 and stick out really far, so I ordered the correct ones last night (BB14).

Need to research a steering servo saver solution and want to avoid the original part since I have had a few of them break on previous models. This is difficult due to the thickness of the original design that appears over-designed (opinion). Looking into an aluminum solution with the integrated spring.

Tried to use a Kyosho MSC, but it just wasn't working out. I have a Futaba ESC that I will now use if it works. Probably better since I plan on driving this occasionally.

Didn't realize shipping from UK would take so long. Still waiting on B-tree...

Will try to find a decent set of used Mud Thrasher tires, which I think will fit the original BB wheels. In the meantime I will use the wheels and tires from the Hi-Rider corvette I got off Harry697.

Doesn't look much different although it is MUCH better now: http://postimg.org/image/c0t8cj93t/

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Re: Big Brute Fix-3/28 Build Update

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Wow, so clean......

You going to dump the crappy shocks or keep it stock?

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

keeping the crappy stock shocks. Brutus probably couldn't complete a lap if she tried. :lol:

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

I decided to swap the Trinity Midnight into the truck from the stock motor. I think it will be a good fit in this truck. Also, the correct rear axles arrived and installed. So I got the tires and wheels all mounted. Waiting on B-Block from the UK.

As soon as I get everything put together and it runs I will see about cleaning the old body with Brutus driving. He is the mascot for this build, so at the very least I would like to get the sticker off and reuse that.

I will repaint the Hi-Rider wheels "chrome" and use them until I can get a set of tire for the original BB wheels. Ultimately though, I plan on using HPI Mud Thrasher tires from the HPI Wheelie King, but I need to do some more research to make sure they fit.

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

0404152108.jpg
0404152109.jpg
0404152109a.jpg

notarex
Approved Member

Re: Big Brute Fix-4/4 Pics

Post by notarex »

Nice! How's it run?

Winger
Approved Member

Re: Big Brute Fix-4/4 Pics

Post by Winger »

Thanks. I ordered a B-block from the UK a month ago that has still not arrived, so I am unable to take it for a run. I hope to make a video of it running and check top speed.

I also need to come up with a servo saver solution. I really do not want to go with the original parts. Considering an aluminum one with internal spring.