Another "My first Optima"

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Saxon11

Another "My first Optima"

Post by Saxon11 »

Hello all, first post but i have been lurking around checking out all the lovely cars people have. Havent really been able to get into RC since i was a kid with a Taiyo Bullet. Always wanted something like a Hornet or Frog, but the ultimate was a Kyosho Optima/Javelin. I remember having a catalogue I used to pour over as a kid.
Now i'm old enough to be able to spoil myself and say i'm doing it to spend time with my boys ;)

Anyway I was able to pick this up off eBay fairly locally, which i was very happy about as i'm not sure if there are all that many around in Australia, with a view to tidy it up and have some fun. Its a Turbo and seems in pretty good nick, from what i have read and learnt while browsing forums such as this it seems to be only things missing are the rear Stabiliser and the bottom chassis plate, as well as the Gold Shocks (has anybody got any idea what the shocks are that are fitted?). Oh it has the belt drive upgrade too which i'm quite happy about.

Anyway here she is and i'll try to keep you updated with my progress. Would like to update the screws as well as there seems to be a few missing. Seems i can get most from Kyosho US, except for the M2.6x15 bind screws for the servo saver which is missing but i'll keep looking. Any comments or direction welcome, cheers Steve
Attachments
IMG_0727_sml.jpg
IMG_0728_sml.jpg
IMG_0729_sml.jpg
IMG_0730_sml.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Another "My first Optima"

Post by Coelacanth »

Very nice example there, it's so rare to find used Optimas that don't have bent or broken bumper braces and the ever-familiar bent-up front skidplate...and now in one week, two new members find used Optimas with these parts in great condition! And both belt conversions to boot...lucky bastages... :lol:

Finding a full set of Gold shocks in decent condition could be a challenge. There's always some on eBay but the nice ones fetch a pretty penny.

There are a few places selling screw kits for the Optima, I used the stainless steel set offered by RCScrewz.com:

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info.php/p/kyo006-kyosho-optima-series-vintage-stainless-steel-screw-kit/products_id/482

One minor issue I have with this set is the 4 screws used for the bottom front of the skidplate, which include the ones securing the steering setup, are button-head screws which stick out too much. I prefer to use the kit's original screws as the heads are very flat and don't protrude from the bottom nearly as much. But the quality otherwise is excellent, I used those sets for both my CYANide & Barney cars.

Good luck with the resto, looking forward to the tear-down and progress pics!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Very nice. Looks like fun! Look forward to updates.

notarex
Approved Member

Post by notarex »

Looking good! How do the shocks function? I would keep them if they work fine.

Saxon11

Post by Saxon11 »

Thanks guys, the shocks seem to function ok. I haven't run it, but the back sits up quite high due to the lower mount being used. I'll have to get a longer mounting bolt because the cap of the shock hits the tower if i try to mount to the top mounting hole. I'll muck about with them on re-assembly if i don't get hold of some reasonable :P gold shocks :)

Thanks for the heads up on the screw set Coelacanth, i might have to look into them.

OffCamber

Post by OffCamber »

Funny, think I recall seeing this car on ebay a while back....long while. Pretty sure I have the same set of shocks too (see below). They were made by a seller named "Lohas" on ebay. Doesn't look like he has anything posted for sale right now but sometimes in his listings you will see the shocks in the back ground mounted on a car. He also has sold in the past aluminum wheels that are often compared to Tecnacrafts.

As for the shocks, sadly can't yet say how well they perform. Have had them for over a year but have yet to run.....story for another time.

Anyway, sharp looking car. Oh yes, almost forgot about to mention screws. It's a little effort assembling a list of all the screw sizes you need but there are a ton of Axial screw kits on ebay that will work nicely. Just look for the size (ex. "m3x8") and axial and you'll find lots of options. All Hex heads, better than the standard phillips.
Attachments
3-3-2015 9-15-46 PM.png
3-3-2015 9-15-46 PM.png (231.61 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
3-3-2015 9-15-46 PM.png
3-3-2015 9-15-46 PM.png (231.61 KiB) Viewed 1991 times

Saxon11

Post by Saxon11 »

Thanks OffCamber, its funny you mention that Lohas seller, i did notice the shocks on one of his ads. I was going to shoot him a question on them.

Great info regarding the screws too. Thanks very much.

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Looks like a nice buy there Steve, as Coelecanth mentioned it's getting difficult to find any chain drive model Optima with a straight lower guard and front brace these days. I bought a 3rd Turbo Optima around mid last year, I'll have to take some pics and post them up in my Optima thread.

If I'm not mistaken the motor looks like a G20 (I think) like the ones that came with the Lazer ZX-5 RTR. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Keith :wink:

Saxon11

Post by Saxon11 »

OffCamber was on the money - i found this website today - http://www.rc-lohas.com/product_rh_shocks.html . At least now i know where they came from :)

Hi Keith, the motor is indeed a G20, not sure what its like yet, but see how we go once she's together.

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Those motors aren't too bad, until you get rock or something inside them that damages the internal plastic fan causing it to overheat and cook itself. That's what happened to mine anyway.

Keith :wink:

Saxon11

Post by Saxon11 »

Have little to update at this point. Have commenced the cleaning process and have ordered some screws. Got hold of a sway bar kit as the rear bar was missing. I think the only other thing I will need is a new body as the original is a bit rough. Will worry about this last though.

Oh, i will need tyres, any recommendations for wheel and tyre sets? Don't have to be correct as i was thinking of getting a set for running and save the originals for display.

Pics of dis assembly to follow

Cheers,
Steve

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

One annoyance about the original Optima series that makes finding modern aftermarket wheels a pain is the use of tapered axles and hexes mated to those tapers. There's a bazillion 12mm hex hubs all over eBay but they only work with 5mm straight axles and 2mm cross-pins. This is a problem because the modern wheels have 5mm holes in them, not 4mm, so they can wobble, and because hexes with only a friction-fit on the tapers sometimes slip with powerful motors. I guess that's why they invented cross-pins, they eliminate any possibility of slipping.

That all said, the tires shown in your pictures aren't originals, they're not even Optima tires from the looks of it...so run 'em if you want. :)

As for tire options that fit 2" Turbo Optima wheels...if you want to drive around on pavement, CustomWorks Street-Trac rear tires are a perfect fit. They need foam inserts though.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNTK7&P=M

Tamiya Hot Shot tires are also supposed to fit the 2" wheels, and since those are re-re's, should be easily available, and come in 2 styles (Hotshot/Boomerang, and Supershot):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMIYA-HOTSHOT-Tires-Rear-SUPERSHOT-BOOMERANG-TO31-/131414936872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e98f0cd28
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-TIRES-Hotshot-Boomerang-Supershot-Super-Sabre-Bigwig-RC-Tamiya-19804446-/351337611485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cd5a80dd
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Returning_Jim
Approved Member

Post by Returning_Jim »

My "Crawltima" has 1.9" tires on Optima wheels. The difference, with the soft tires I'm using, was not enough for me to realize that I was stretching them to fit.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's a topic on here you might find interesting, but obtaining these Dirt Paw tires is a bit of effort. A few of us got together back then for a group purchase and had a member in Europe ship one of us these tires, as they don't ship to Canada. Once he received them, he distributed them to us. It was extra cost in shipping, for sure, but after it got all divvied up, it was worth it. The tires are very close to the original Turbo Optima style. They're a perfect fit for 2.0" Turbo Optima wheels.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20140

EDIT: I just found this; looks like the same tires, sold with wheels & inserts...can't figure out a price though, as it's Made In China. Might be worth looking into:

http://www.arprc.com.tw/product-detail-433821.html

I like their road tire design too:

http://www.arprc.com.tw/product-detail-433822.html

Saxon11

Post by Saxon11 »

Great information, thanks guys.