Kyosho Tomahawk box art decals

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Kyosho Tomahawk box art decals

Post by hibernaculum »

Hi guys. A few months ago, I remember reading some of the threads about the original RC10, and the impressive efforts some went to in recreating the original box art car. Both in terms of parts and decals.

Kyosho were just as notorious as Associated for not including all the decals necessary to reproduce the car shown on the box photo. The Scorpion, Tomahawk and Beetle are good examples.
In an effort to break down precisely what decals the Tomahawk box art car uses, I've spent far too much time doing this...

It's still a work in progress...

Clearly when the Tomahawk was created, Kyosho assembled the box art car and used whatever decals were around. Sadly, those were not all included in the kit.
But they must have come from other kits Kyosho had already produced - cars produced in 1983 or earlier.

In the above image, the decal names in red are the ones I have not yet located on other Kyosho decal sheets.
Would anyone like to help fill in the gaps? :)

I'm looking for the likely source of:
- Yellow KC roof light decals. Lots of cars have white versions, but the Tomahawk has yellow ones.
- "Off Road Racing SPECIAL" decals on the flank on each side. I believe I have located "SPECIAL", but still looking for the "Off Road Racing" part in smaller type.

If I can find the missing ones, I'll update the graphic and keep it hosted on my site.
Then I'll analyze another car :wink:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Tomahawk box art decals

Post by GoMachV »

Wow, that's dedication!

As far as numbering on detail sets, Progress was 204, gallop was 205, and gallop mkII was 207...so it's whatever came right before that series I suppose. That may be a mash up sticker or one from a number set?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:Wow, that's dedication!

As far as numbering on detail sets, Progress was 204, gallop was 205, and gallop mkII was 207...so it's whatever came right before that series I suppose. That may be a mash up sticker or one from a number set?
Javelin 209
Turbo Raider 207
Gone fishing

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Post by hibernaculum »

gomachv wrote:Wow, that's dedication!
Thanks gomachv. I've updated the graphic a bit with more findings....

EDIT - I have located a source of the "203" numbering. It had to have existed on some earlier decal sheet, but nevertheless, the correct typeface numbers can be found on the Cox Bandido decal sheet. Graphic has been updated to reflect this.

Only "KC" and "Off Road Racing" to go...

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

One problem in now solved with the re-re Tomahawk is that the re-re has two rear side mirrors. The original only had one in the kit, but two on the box picture.
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Post by hibernaculum »

Hcp22 wrote:One problem in now solved with the re-re Tomahawk is that the re-re has two rear side mirrors. The original only had one in the kit, but two on the box picture.
This is true. Did any other Kyosho model use those same mirrors?
If no other model used them, Kyosho must have molded the original mirror for one side, then shaped a second one to suit attachment on the other side, for the box art photos.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

A thing about decals is that Kyosho made pre-production sheets. I know when I got my pre-production Kyosho PRO X it was only call PRO and a special decal sheet that differ from that one that came with the PRO X kit 8-9 month later. The same happened with my pre-production Kyosho Triumph, so this is probably the explanation for the missing decals for the Tomahawk.
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

hibernaculum,
could you post a hi-res scan of the original Tomahawk decal sheet?