Kyosho Optima Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

machvolum
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Optima Build

Post by machvolum »

I finished restoring the shocks I have. They aren't that pretty but it will have to do for now until I can find some new ones. The piston collars were badly damaged, but i tried to sand them and polish them as much as possible. The shock collars were broken and two were missing but Pargu had some nice replacements made out of aluminum. I also found some aluminum end caps on ebay that look nice.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Great project
What did you use to polish the plastic parts after you sand them and what grade of paper did you sand them with

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

HKS_TRD wrote:Great project
What did you use to polish the plastic parts after you sand them and what grade of paper did you sand them with
I really haven't had many plastic parts to sand. I have been replacing the parts with new parts if they are too badly damaged. Otherwise Just some fine grit sandpaper and spending lots of time to make it smooth.

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

Done with the front. I thought id put the wheels on just because :D

I am also using original screws.. hard to fine ones that aren't all rusted or damaged..

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

Turns out I got more done tonight than I thought. :D

pottok
Approved Member

Post by pottok »

Very nice restoration, good job :P

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

pottok wrote:Very nice restoration, good job :P
Thank you very much. I have now installed original electronics including mounting the resistors where they were originally. I had to make a resistor protector out of a damaged upgraded one but it's temporary until I can make a real one. Still waiting on original radio Astro GX-202E.. it may be a while.

Now on to the painting....

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Looks good, I have the same car, it was probley the most fun I had restoring and building out of all my projects. I bought decals,tires, and body set overseas somewhere respectable? cant remember name (wasn't cheap I do remember). I have about half painted and got to the black/white tiny stripe around back end and got so frustrated I put it away.....about 1 1/2 ago.lol.

Yours looks great keep the pictures coming.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

slapshot1979 wrote:Looks good, I have the same car, it was probley the most fun I had restoring and building out of all my projects. I bought decals,tires, and body set overseas somewhere respectable? cant remember name (wasn't cheap I do remember). I have about half painted and got to the black/white tiny stripe around back end and got so frustrated I put it away.....about 1 1/2 ago.lol.

Yours looks great keep the pictures coming.
Oh.. Sorry to hear that the paint scheme was giving you headaches. I know it is a rather intricate coloring scheme that isn't well documented. If you don't mind, I'd like to see some pictures of yours as well as what colors you decided to use. I agree that this model is very complex and I have enjoyed assembling it with the random parts I had laying around. I think it has come together nicely. It will be a wonderful 30 year old show piece. I do intend to drive it, but only slightly. I do not want to destroy it, I just want it to be functional like it was meant to be. Not sitting on a shelf collecting dust. :)

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Bill, I've made a discovery. The heatsink cover comes in a pack by Graupner (the German division of Kyosho I think), search for part number 4928/34. Others parts are contained in the pack but it has what you're looking for.

Good progrees BTW, looking really nice so far. :D

Keith :wink:

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

keithrc wrote:Bill, I've made a discovery. The heatsink cover comes in a pack by Graupner (the German division of Kyosho I think), search for part number 4928/34. Others parts are contained in the pack but it has what you're looking for.

Good progrees BTW, looking really nice so far. :D

That's awesome Keith! Found one on the bay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4928-34-Graupner-Kyosho-Optima-Boards-Set-NEW-/321733379580?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D321733379580%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=qQXunTendp33OMy0V7wjtkiWV5M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Now on to the radios and paint...
Thank you!

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Glad I could help and that you found one, I searched ebay but didn't see any listed. I found a pack here while looking for something else.

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Very nice! You are doing (did) a wonderful job on this restoration. I am also planning on an Optima build soon. I have all my parts stored in a shoe box, but I think I finally have everything I need to finish it. I have a TBG body already cut for it but I am having someone else paint the boxart scheme for me. I had the same issue with shocks. There is a company called Dhawk-Racing on ebay that also makes aluminum parts. They had a sale not to long ago on their Optima shock collars and spring caps, So I picked them up.

Good luck on finding the servo set you want.

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

Well, I am still looking for the original box art servos, receiver, and radio. This is what I found in the mean time. This is the radio that is on the box at for the Turbo Optima. It should suffice for now.

-Bill

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

This is a pain in the a** I practiced on an original tire that I had but going slow is going to be a challenge considering I shake a lot :)

More to come. Stay tuned!