Kyosho Optima Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

machvolum
Approved Member

Kyosho Optima Build

Post by machvolum »

Ive been sourcing parts for a while to rebuild an original 1985 Kyosho Optima. Things are coming nicely. :D

Reduced to pieces

Gross wheels with slick sand super tires

After thorough cleaning

Sanded and bleached wheels with reproduction sand super tires

Polished and starting re-assembly

This project is quite a lot of work, but I am open to suggestions as I go along. As well as trying to source more parts when I need them.

More to come..!

-Bill

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Optima Build

Post by Coelacanth »

That looks awesome so far, Bill...you put the chain on the right way, too. Lots of people (myself included, at least once) put it on with the open ends of the links to the inside. It looks like you're building it up as a normal Optima, not a Turbo--though I see some Turbo parts there in your original pile. Good luck with the build!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Good start - polished parts look great, and you have a nice straight front skidplate and bumper brace, which is the envy of any old Optima owner.

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

Coelacanth wrote:That looks awesome so far, Bill...you put the chain on the right way, too. Lots of people (myself included, at least once) put it on with the open ends of the links to the inside. It looks like you're building it up as a normal Optima, not a Turbo--though I see some Turbo parts there in your original pile. Good luck with the build!
Thank you. Yes I am being very careful with how I am building it including trying to make the original heatsink for the resistor mounted on the left side as well as trying to find an original astro gx202 radio system. I may have to paint some servos and the receiver red..

Original resistor plate

Radio on box art

As far as the turbo Optima parts, I will be making one of those as well. :D

-Bill

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

markbt73 wrote:Good start - polished parts look great, and you have a nice straight front skidplate and bumper brace, which is the envy of any old Optima owner.
The front brace was hard to come by absolutely. I have lots of broken ones :cry:

notarex
Approved Member

Post by notarex »

Wheels look like night and day, nice job!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's another tip, I don't even think it's mentioned in the manual: Be sure to remove the thin plastic film from the smoke-colored chain guide covers. These initially come with a protective plastic film, same as you find on cellphone displays and such nowadays...and if you don't remove it, and happen to install the covers with the film-side inward, that film often comes loose and ends up ganking up your diffs/gearboxes.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

notarex wrote:Wheels look like night and day, nice job!
Thank you so much! It took hours to sand and clean them, but I am happy with the result. Its now just missing the iconic white letters. I was reading somewhere that a white extra fine sharpie paint pen works well for this. Anyone concur?

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

Coelacanth wrote:Here's another tip, I don't even think it's mentioned in the manual: Be sure to remove the thin plastic film from the smoke-colored chain guide covers. These initially come with a protective plastic film, same as you find on cellphone displays and such nowadays...and if you don't remove it, and happen to install the covers with the film-side inward, that film often comes loose and ends up ganking up your diffs/gearboxes.
I peeled it off when I was sanding it. It looks much better now. And I wont be doing much if any driving of this beast. especially since im putting all this work into it. I may drive it around a little bit just for fun. I will definitely be making a video if it comes to that.

-Bill

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I painted my white lettering with a tiny paint brush and dont be afraid to take a break from that job. your eyes wil look like this guy>>> :shock:
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Hey Bill, glad to see you went with my suggestion and made a thread of your Optima, looks good in the pics. :D As for the white tyre lettering, I found some fine tip paint pens called "jellyroll" or something of that effect. I haven't really used them on any decent tyres yet but I tried it on an old worn OT-30 tyre and it seems they should work well. I'll see if I can find a link to them.

BTW, I still have to take those pics for you too.

Link to Gelly Roll pens, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-White-Sakura-Gelly-Roll-Pens-Set-Gelly-Roll-Markers-Anime-Manga-Art-Drawing-/231520681611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e7b53e8b

Keith :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I have those Jellyroll pens, I bought an assortment of those in fluorescent colors during my days modding computer cases. They indeed work well on hard surfaces but the "ink" would probably rub off with a flexible tire rubber surface...unless it was just for show. I think other people have recommended Sharpie oil-based paint markers for tire lettering, they come in white with fine and medium tips. You can get them at any craft store or even Walmart.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Paint-Marker-Extra-Fine-Tip-White/product_SAN35531_2-CA_1_20001

Some people on RCTech have used these to do fine lines on Lexan, but I've found the paint can be scraped off quite easily with a fingernail and I doubt large areas of this paint would stick well to Lexan, but I've heard it works well to do tire lettering.

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will go with a extra fine sharpie. I will just take my time doing it. I am waiting on some things in the mail, as I am at a standstill. Will update with more pictures. Im still looking for the resistor protector if anyone knows where I can find one. :?

-Bill

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Last time I did tire lettering, not more than 27 years ago, I used a 1/1 car lettering pen and a toothpick.
Still scares me to think of it :)

Great job on the rims - they look like new.
Are You going with a box art body?
Gone fishing

machvolum
Approved Member

Post by machvolum »

DennisM wrote:Last time I did tire lettering, not more than 27 years ago, I used a 1/1 car lettering pen and a toothpick.
Still scares me to think of it :)

Great job on the rims - they look like new.
Are You going with a box art body?
Scares you? oh noooo lol Thank you for the complement this is taking me a lot of work in my spare time. Yes I am going to paint it box art. I am having some issues at the moment trying to find the correct colors, pinstripe tape, and the missing decals (most notably the notorious number 5). Also I have never painted anything with this complex of a paint scheme, so I have two shells. One to practice on and one to final :wink:

-Bill