HELP optima turbo ?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

al.48
Approved Member

HELP optima turbo ?

Post by al.48 »

Hi all, just acquired an optima (chain drive) well its on its way ! So will post pics when its driven here, what I need to get what I know of are driveshafts what fits cvd, uj, ? And how can I convert to 48 dp on spur gear, been a long time since I played with optima, (I forgot) cheers guys have a good one. :P

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: HELP optima turbo ?

Post by DennisM »

Search for Robinson, tufnol and perhaps Thorp.

Be warned, prices are a bit high :shock:

Looking foreward to seeing some pictures.
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I believe Kyosho made 62.5mm U-joints that were perfect for upgrading the Optima's dogbones, W-5061. You can also still find Kyosho CVDs with 62.5mm bones, KYOUM522, but they have 5mm straight axles with cross-pins to secure the wheels with 12mm hexes, unlike the tapered-hole hexes used by the Optima series. Those can be pretty expensive and will require you to find wheels meant for 5mm axles; or drill out the axle holes on vintage wheels to fit them (vintage wheels only have a 4mm outer hole so new Lazer CVD axles won't fit without reaming them open).

65mm and 68mm Lazer CVDs are dirt-cheap as aftermarket companies like 3Racing make them, but they will require longer control arms and camber links. If you go that route, you end up modernizing your Optima quite a tad, maybe not something you're planning on undertaking. The easiest option is to stick with the stock dogbones, which are very common and usually cheap. The next easiest option is to be patient on eBay and hope you can find a cheap set of W-5061...which won't be easy. The most complex option, going with CVDs involves a fair bit of resto-modding, something I did with most of my cars: CYANide, Barney & OptiMutt.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

Wicked, thanks for that, quite like the sound of modernizing it, so I would need arms and carriers as per " Barney" that then makes shafts "easier" :lol: , would like post pics but can't download so it will have to wait for arrival, cheers all. Take care.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

al.48 wrote:Wicked, thanks for that, quite like the sound of modernizing it, so I would need arms and carriers as per " Barney" that then makes shafts "easier" :lol: , would like post pics but can't download so it will have to wait for arrival, cheers all. Take care.
The rear alloy arms are a pretty easy mod, they're on eBay and are probably cheaper than a nice set of original arms. They're exactly 5mm longer than stock arms so 68mm Lazer CVDs are a perfect fit. You can use the stock rear carriers. The aluminum arms are an almost perfect swap-in for the stock arms but you'll need some spacers to eliminate slop for the carriers. I have an assortment of aluminum spacers with 3mm holes in various widths, they're cheap too. About the only thing you really need to modify is drilling holes in the back of the arms to mount the rear stabilizer and getting a set of modern 12mm hexes with cross-pins to mount wheels...and you'll be able to run any modern 12mm hex wheels, provided they have enough negative offset.

The fronts aren't that easy, mind you. :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

Thanks for that, can I not use lazer front and rear ? arms and hubs, cheers. Have a good one.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think you can use Lazer front arms but I haven't done this with any of my cars. Keep in mind that Lazer arms are very long compared to normal Optima arms; widening your front track that much on a relatively short wheelbase chassis will probably make the steering super-twitchy and unpredictable. I think Lazers use minimum 73mm CVDs in the front, compared to the Optima's 62.5mm. That's a full 2 cm wider track than stock. Maybe someone else here has tried that combo on a comparably short wheelbase Optima and can comment on the handling characteristics?

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

With everything I have read zx5 rear shafts are 65.5 mm long so am I in with a chance ? What does everyone think about this : zx5 arms carriers hubs etc hopefully zx5 driveshafts, carbon fiber shock towers, topdeck, and motor guard, large bore shockers ( not sure what make yet) opinions everyone, cheers all, have a good one.

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

What rear diff can I use for belt ? Can't find a mid rear diff anywhere found belt and front diff no rear, help !! Cheers all. Anyone know if laser diffs are the same ?

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

Can I use sg-25 for front and rear diffs to get belt drive ? Cheers all, have a good one.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

al.48 wrote:Can I use sg-25 for front and rear diffs to get belt drive ? Cheers all, have a good one.
Yes...but you'll find the rear diff is becoming a very expensive part these days. Just the rear diff alone will set you back close to $50 and up. Crazy prices! It's almost a better idea to find an Optima Mid parts car.

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

Can you not use half optima diff with sg25??

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

Getting excited !! Should be here in day or two :lol:

al.48
Approved Member

Post by al.48 »

Belt ordered ! Plus two sg25 diffs, all sorted !! All I need is the postman now !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

al.48 wrote:Can you not use half optima diff with sg25??
No...but you might've figured that out already. :)