Kyosho Ultima find.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Ultima find.

Post by yellowdatsun »

Anyone know where I can find a set of non-stock wheels that fit this car? I can find the "1984 Corvette" wheels on ebay, but I've always hated those. They have the front Prolines on ebay, but not the rears. Would be nice to match my front CRP wheel with a set of rears. I've been to a bunch of local hobby shops, one let me dig through their NOS parts bins, a few others said they had zero vintage Kyosho parts. So I'm kinda stuck, and stumped. If I *have* to, I'll get the Corvette wheels, but I'd really rather not. I always thought they didn't fit the look of the buggy, as they look like 90's on-road wheels, and not dirt racer wheels. Anyone?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Tamiya's fox wheels would be a nice match with the pro-line fronts; once you get the gold plating removed.
But they won't fit the axle or 12mm hex, so you'd need to get creative on that.
Or, you could get some full-dish wheels and add the hole pattern yourself...

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

If your interested I've got a set of Hot Trick rear stub axles for adapting RC10 wheels to the Ultima....plus a set of the RC10 rear Proline wheels.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Actually just looked back and your thread and saw you used 2.2's up front? Maybe you can try Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo wheels at the rear. They're the the correct offset for an RC10 and use a 12mm hex so maybe they'll work on an Ultima.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Contact richierich, he just asked for an identification of wheels and tires. And those were what you need.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Phin wrote:Actually just looked back and your thread and saw you used 2.2's up front? Maybe you can try Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo wheels at the rear. They're the the correct offset for an RC10 and use a 12mm hex so maybe they'll work on an Ultima.
Forgot about those...those should indeed work.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Phin wrote:Actually just looked back and your thread and saw you used 2.2's up front? Maybe you can try Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo wheels at the rear. They're the the correct offset for an RC10 and use a 12mm hex so maybe they'll work on an Ultima.
Very interesting, I'll take a look online to see what they look like. Thanks for the tidbit.

As a side note, I can make RC10 wheels and bearings work fine up front, using a very thin tube slid over the front axle. So getting RC10 wheels to work on the rear would be great. The hint about the stub axles would work perfectly. I can find vintage RC10 wheels all day long.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

The 1/16 E-Revo wheels came as plain dish wheels and as JConcept Rulux.

There's an OFNA dish wheel that might work too but I can't remember what car it was for. :?

Shouldn't need anything to fit RC10 wheels on an Ultima since the outer diameters on the bearings they used are so close. 8mm and 5/16" are practically the same size. After market wheels were typically sold as fitting both cars.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Phin wrote:The 1/16 E-Revo wheels came as plain dish wheels and as JConcept Rulux.
The 2.2" Pro-Line Desperado wheels for the 1/16 E-Revo were the ones I was thinking about. They have a nice spoked look, 2.2" diameter, 36mm width, so almost perfect specs for 1:10 offroad 2.2" rear wheels...but finding a front to match might be...interesting. For a 4WD like the Optima series, they'd be perfect. 8)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pro-Line-2737-03-Desperado-2-2-Wheels-4-Traxxas-1-16-E-Revo-/390805320037?hash=item5afdcff165
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Due to a kind member on here, I got some RC10 conversion stub axles, and a rear wheel set to match my fronts. Yay! Progress! I'm on my mobile, so no pics yet. Still looking for tires for the rear 2.0 Rims that don't look too out of place with the fronts. I think the "2.0" Is where I'll have my issues.

debating on leaving the body basically stock, or trying to create some side pods to hide the metal trellis frame. Believe me, I REALLY love the trellis frame, but it just doesn't look like a real buggy, from any decade. This is truly a hard decision. I could always make one that is easily removable. The realistic roll bar and driver are what made me come up with the idea.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

GoMachV wrote:This is the second time I've seen that roll bar mount. Very cool setup! Surely someone out there has info on it?
When I was in CT a few weeks ago for the VONats, my friend Bo shows me an Ultima with the exact same roll bar mount. And it’s handmade, not machine made, at least his is :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Hcp22 wrote:
GoMachV wrote:This is the second time I've seen that roll bar mount. Very cool setup! Surely someone out there has info on it?
When I was in CT a few weeks ago for the VONats, my friend Bo shows me an Ultima with the exact same roll bar mount. And it’s handmade, not machine made, at least his is :D
A month ago or so I was linked to ask someone overseas about about some javelin parts and the person I contacted stated he had none but I could use Ultima parts which he sent me a picture comparison of them side by side and the black ones looked just like the ones in the OP's pictures. Didn't have the roof section on it to compare but the parts looked exactly like these they way they mount up. Don't know if they were factory or handmade but he stated there were more of the Ultima's made like that than the Javelins. Of course this is all unverified but maybe set up a search for Ultimas :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Looking at my roll bar mounts, the front and two sides could have easily been home made. Whoever did it did a good job, but they're nothing more than L shaped aluminum with holes.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Figured it was time for a picture update!

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Looking great! :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback