Next Kyosho Rere?!!!!

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Next Kyosho Rere?!!!!

Post by Coelacanth »

The most iconic choice would be the original Optima. There might be better choices in terms of design (and original design flaws) and what could better handle modern electronics, like the Mid, but the one that would make the biggest splash would absolutely be the Optima.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

+1
Gone fishing

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I would rather see the javelin return
But the optima is cool too and i would very much like to see which improvements they would come up with.

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

Coelacanth wrote:The most iconic choice would be the original Optima. There might be better choices in terms of design (and original design flaws) and what could better handle modern electronics, like the Mid, but the one that would make the biggest splash would absolutely be the Optima.
That's true. Just like the Ultima design is better than the Scorpion. But this is about bringing back the iconic, legendary buggies, and I believe they're on a path to bring back most of Kogawa's masterpieces, one series at a time. If we respond well enough by buying these in numbers, I won't be surprised if we'll see "everything" from the Scorpions to the Mids :roll:

I think Kyosho have closely watched Tamiya's re-releases, and waited for the Tamiya catalogue to "dry out" before entering the ring themselves. Probably trying to avoid going head to head with them, like back in the 80's.
IMG_6398sm.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I'm not a big fan of re-releases, but as long as they make all the parts easily distinguishable from the originals it would be more acceptable.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I love the re-releases. Makes a great way for us old-timers of the sport to get "new" versions of the ones we had as a kid, since there'd be no way in heck we could afford to buy NIB original versions, and if we could, we'd never build or drive them due to the cost and scarcity. I picked up a new Wild Willy jeep recently, for stupid cheap. There's no way I'd ever have been able to buy a NIB NOS version. Heck, even the tires for the original are insane in price. Same goes for the re-re RC10 worlds, I got a brand new one, and I never even had a brand new one as a kid! So it was that much better.

As for the difference between new and old parts, personally, I don't care. As long as the car looks the part, I don't care how old the parts on it are. I know there are a lot of guys out there who *need* original old parts on their cars, but I figure there's just as many guys like myself who don't care. Some of my vintage shelf-queens have new-release parts on them. Anyone who comes over to visit doesn't know the difference, and as a result they don't care either.

If the re-re Optima comes out, I'm in! like the RC10, I never had a brand new one, but did drive a used one when I was younger. So the re-re will allow me to not only buy a new one, but also build it myself. Opportunities like that almost never happen in life. I can now do what I was never able to as a kid. Very cool.

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

What you said, yellowdatsun!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm probably one of the biggest Optima fans around. That said, I'm not into box-arts or collecting RC cars as an investment, so chances are I wouldn't buy an Optima re-re, which may surprise some. But, I'm definitely intrigued by how Kyosho might address the issues the original Optima had, if they do...the lack of a true slipper gear, certain aluminum parts being far too weak (shock towers, front undertray especially), a front bumper design that always resulted in the chain being loosened and needing constant adjustments to tighten it...unless the chain was extra-strong and the bumper/chain tension relation was improved, would they re-re the Optima with the belt conversion? Or keep it with the chain for that distinctive sound?

All good food-for-thought! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

The purists would hate it, but guys like myself would love it if it already came with the belt conversion. That's probably THE most important upgrade you can make on that car. I did it on mine way back when. Never had an issue with not having a slipper, or the other issues mentioned.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

yellowdatsun wrote:The purists would hate it, but guys like myself would love it if it already came with the belt conversion. That's probably THE most important upgrade you can make on that car. I did it on mine way back when. Never had an issue with not having a slipper, or the other issues mentioned.
You've never had an Optima with bent shock towers or front chin skidplate? Wow...either you're exceptionally lucky--or you haven't owned many Optimas! ;)

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Coelacanth wrote:
yellowdatsun wrote:The purists would hate it, but guys like myself would love it if it already came with the belt conversion. That's probably THE most important upgrade you can make on that car. I did it on mine way back when. Never had an issue with not having a slipper, or the other issues mentioned.
You've never had an Optima with bent shock towers or front chin skidplate? Wow...either you're exceptionally lucky--or you haven't owned many Optimas! ;)
Haven't owned many, would be the right answer. Owned one Optima, and one Optima-mid. Both were "play" cars and never driven in anger at the races.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The Mid was a much more robust design, resolving all of the design flaws of the original.

As for the original/Turbo Optima/Salute/Javelin, if you buy 10 used ones, you'll be lucky if one or two of them has a completely straight front skidplate. 2/3 or more will have bent shock towers...especially the rear. ;)

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Don't forget bent frame rails where the bell crank mounting screws go through the rails.
Mids had their own issues like stripped center gears. Broken gearboxes and belt slippage. Best bet is to avoid solid objects completely.a

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I know some people have seen bent frame rails...I didn't mention it because I've had maybe 15 Optimas pass through my hands (my own, parts & previously-owned & abused cars, my buddy's 3 Optimas) and none of them had a bent frame-rail. I'm sure it happens with a serious front-end crash directly into a brick wall, but I wouldn't consider the frame rails a weakness. Perhaps the little 2.6mm threaded holes getting stripped out by careless builders trying to force in 3mm machine or tapping screws is a more common problem. :)

tagger
Approved Member

Post by tagger »

I would buy a re-re Optima in a heartbeat, and a Javelin, Mid and Ultima. I might have to get 2 of each though so I can run one and display one.

I have RC10's and Jrx's that are all runners and ex-racers. I don't feel same about displaying them as I would with the Kyosho's - they are absolutely beautiful designs that used to have me staring at the box art in hobby shops.

I had 3 mids from my racing days and a Salute with belt and ball diffs. Sold them about 7 years ago for next to nothing. Serious regret there.
Also raced an Ultima Pro with lots of goodies on it which made way for my first Losi.

Come on Kyosho, do it! Release them about 6 months apart so the minister for war and finance doesn't detect the massive hole in the bank account!