Optima is back!!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

_timmy_
Approved Member

Re: Optima is back!!

Post by _timmy_ »

they seem to be pretty scarce! Banzai Hobby is the only place i've found them so far and a few on ebay us.

2BornotB2

Post by 2BornotB2 »

Any recommended hop ups before I start buidling? I saw that PPM came out with a whole line of replacement Carbon parts.

Nice eye-candy, for sure:
http://www.redrc.net/2016/05/cox-optima-2016-carbon-fibre-option-parts/#more-112207

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Post by hibernaculum »

Lowgear wrote:I don't think the Optima being re-released is going to hurt the market all that much. Especially for hop-ups and nice to new condition stock parts. If you're restoring an original or are a collector, you still want the original parts of course and are willing to pay accordingly.
Agree with this 100%.
yellowdatsun wrote:All depends on who the collector is. If it was me, I don't care whether it's a new or old part when I have redone some of my vintage cars. I don't have any problem putting a 2014 part on my 1984 RC10. Why you ask? Because anyone I show it to won't know the difference, and I'm just happy it looks correct. Personally, I think these new releases (cars and parts) are likely killing some of the guys asking stupid prices for NOS parts/cars. Plus, people like me never could have owned or restored a vintage model we used to have, because we used new parts in the restorations, or just outright bought a new car.
2 cents... Original is original. Nothing ever replaces an original. And long term, original is always worth much more to collectors.

Filling an original car with reissued parts is totally fine if you never intend to sell. But being able to say something is 100% original if you do sell one day, is worth quite a lot as it removes all doubt from the minds of buyers. And this applies to every single genre of collecting on the planet - from furniture to movie posters to toys. R/C cars are still a relatively young collectible (3 or 4 decades), but they are no exception to the laws of collecting that apply to every collectible in the world.

When it comes to the Kyosho reissues, the fact they are mostly remolded/recreated cars, made in China this time (not Japan), and the fact NIB originals are in some cases extremely rare (who here owns a NIB original Kyosho Beetle?), values of original kits and original cars in exc cond., are pretty unaffected by the reissue kits. IMHO. (FWIW - I seem to get requests almost on a weekly basis, for help with finding original kits, parts, etc from collectors out there who are undeterred-by or uninterested in the reissued kits).

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

The reason I made my comments is precisely because I have no plans to sell. Unless something unfortunate happens, and I *have* to sell them. But even then, they are worth what someone is willing to pay. None of my cars are 100% original, and their value is adjusted accordingly. I'm just super happy I can have them on my shelf to admire.

tintin74
Approved Member

Post by tintin74 »

hibernaculum wrote:
Lowgear wrote:I don't think the Optima being re-released is going to hurt the market all that much. Especially for hop-ups and nice to new condition stock parts. If you're restoring an original or are a collector, you still want the original parts of course and are willing to pay accordingly.
Agree with this 100%.
yellowdatsun wrote:All depends on who the collector is. If it was me, I don't care whether it's a new or old part when I have redone some of my vintage cars. I don't have any problem putting a 2014 part on my 1984 RC10. Why you ask? Because anyone I show it to won't know the difference, and I'm just happy it looks correct. Personally, I think these new releases (cars and parts) are likely killing some of the guys asking stupid prices for NOS parts/cars. Plus, people like me never could have owned or restored a vintage model we used to have, because we used new parts in the restorations, or just outright bought a new car.
2 cents... Original is original. Nothing ever replaces an original. And long term, original is always worth much more to collectors.

Filling an original car with reissued parts is totally fine if you never intend to sell. But being able to say something is 100% original if you do sell one day, is worth quite a lot as it removes all doubt from the minds of buyers. And this applies to every single genre of collecting on the planet - from furniture to movie posters to toys. R/C cars are still a relatively young collectible (3 or 4 decades), but they are no exception to the laws of collecting that apply to every collectible in the world.

When it comes to the Kyosho reissues, the fact they are mostly remolded/recreated cars, made in China this time (not Japan), and the fact NIB originals are in some cases extremely rare (who here owns a NIB original Kyosho Beetle?), values of original kits and original cars in exc cond., are pretty unaffected by the reissue kits. IMHO. (FWIW - I seem to get requests almost on a weekly basis, for help with finding original kits, parts, etc from collectors out there who are undeterred-by or uninterested in the reissued kits).
Definitely agree with your 2 cents. All my optimas are 100% original. The re-release is great for replacing parts on my runner and racer optima, but my shelfers will never get reissued parts...

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Whipped up a Pro style upper deck to move the battery forward 8mm. Getting the servo linkage going will be the next step. It's a tight fit with the servo in the back
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

mamadoesn`tletme wrote:
egalsim wrote:Going to try and race mine in 4wd class :D

White rims for racing:

nice!

Does anyone knows where to get spares?
RCMart

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Anyone noticed yet that Kyosho Japan has listed a MASSIVE number of options for the re-release Optima on their site?

Complete list until now:
No.OTH244BK - 5sp Wheel 43mm - (Black/2pcs/OPTIMA)
No.OTH244SC - 5sp Wheel 43mm - (SatinChrome/2pcs/OPTIMA)
No.OTW111 - Hard Main Chassis - (7075/OPTIMA)
No.OTW123 - Front Shock Spring Set - (S/M/H /2p/OPTIMA)
No.OTW124 - Rear Shock Spring Set - (S/M/H /2p/OPTIMA)
No.OTW118GM - Aluminum Front Upper Pivot - (Gunmetal/OPTIMA)
No.OTW119GM - Aluminum Servo Mount - (Gunmetal/OPTIMA)
No.OTW101 - Ball Diff - (for Belt Drive/OPTIMA) - New ultra smooth ball diff for the Optima belt drive configuration.
No.OTW101-01 - Ball Diff Gear - (OPTIMA)
No.OTW101-02 - Ball Diff Shaft - (OPTIMA)
No.OTW101-03 - Ball Diff Screw - (OPTIMA)
No.OTW102 - Stabilizer - (OPTIMA) - New front and rear sway bar set for grip surfaces. Front 1.5mm and rear 1.6mm bars minizes roll and increases traction.
No.OTW103 - Carbon Rear Plate L - (OPTIMA) - Light weight 2.5mm carbon fiber plate. Same durability as the stock plates but 5g lighter.
No.OTW104GM - CNC Motor Plate - (Gunmetal/OPTIMA) - 4mmm machined aluminum motor plate. Durable plate with cooling fins to keep tempertures low.
No.OTW105 - Carbon Front Side Plate - (2pcs/OPTIMA) - Light weight 2.0mm carbon fiber side plates. 5g lighter without compromising the durability.
No.OTW106 - Carbon Front Sus Plate - (OPTIMA) - Light weight 2.5mm and 2.0mm suspension plates. Compared to the stock aluminum plates the carbon fiber plates are 2g lighter and with the same durability.
No.OTW107 - Carbon Front Shock Stay - (OPTIMA) - Light weight 3mm carbon fiber shock tower. Compared to the stock aluminum plates the carbon fiber plates are 2g lighter and with the same durability.
No.OTW109 - Carbon Rear Shock Stay - (OPTIMA) - Light weight 2.5mm carbon fiber shock tower. Compared to the stock aluminum shock tower the carbon fiber shock tower is much lighter and with the same durability.
No.OTW110 - Carbon Radio Plate - (OPTIMA) - 1.5mm Carbon fiber radio plate. Durable and light weight!!
No.OTW112 - Hard Front Support - (7075/OPTIMA)
No.OTW114 - Metal Servo Saver Conversion - Precision servo saver set. 7075 aluminum steering wiper with ball bearings for linear steering control.
No.OTW115GM - Aluminum Radio Post - (Gunmetal/OPTIMA) - Durable machined aluminum radio post.
No.OTW116GM - Aluminum Front Hub - (Gunmetal/OPTIMA) - Machined aluminum front hub for increased durability and precision.
No.OTW117GM - Aluminum Rear Hub Carrier - (Gm/OPTIMA) - Machined aluminum front hub carrier for increased durability and precision.
No.OTW125 - Universal Swing Shaft - (2pcs/Optima) - 3.2mm thick universal swing shaft increases efficiency in the drive train. New design can be installed without the 2mm spacers allowing more suspension stroke.

Some of these parts (universals, alloy suspension bits, etc.) will also fit other Kyosho models...and I bet a lot of people will be quite happy with them.

(yes, I'm back...work got really busy and in the way :( )

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

EvolutionRevolution wrote: (yes, I'm back...work got really busy and in the way :( )
Good to see you back. 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Thanks. :)

Forgot to post the web page, which also has pictures:

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/newparts.html

(you need to go back to previous months to see all the parts)

Based on the list, which is missing numbers OTW108, 113, 120, 121, and 122, I expect we will see some more options.

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

How do I go about getting those alloy rear hubs considering I am not in Australia

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

HKS_TRD wrote:How do I go about getting those alloy rear hubs considering I am not in Australia
Wait until they are released and find a shop willing to ship outside of Japan, I guess. They'll probably also end up on Ebay.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Optima and Scorpion parts list on Kyosho Japan site: http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/option/pdf/vintage_160301.pdf