Optima steering link (sc-89) substitute?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Grunger73
Approved Member

Optima steering link (sc-89) substitute?

Post by Grunger73 »

Greetings,
My Optima is missing the right side steering link. Is there a substitute that I can use instead of the overpriced sc89 package? I realize that these things are pretty common but I'd like to stick with something that I don't have to modify and looks like the original.
Thanks

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Optima steering link (sc-89) substitute?

Post by GoMachV »

Don't tell anyone but the rerelease scorpion tie rods are a perfect match :mrgreen: I just ordered a few off eBay. Look for the people parting out scorpions
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Grunger73
Approved Member

Post by Grunger73 »

GoMachV wrote:Don't tell anyone but the rerelease scorpion tie rods are a perfect match :mrgreen: I just ordered a few off eBay. Look for the people parting out scorpions
Thanks for the great tip. Speaking of the scorpion, would the re re shock spring clamps fit on the optima shocks?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yes, the red shock parts are a slightly different color but fit great! I used them on my Stinger
Attachments
image.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Grunger73
Approved Member

Post by Grunger73 »

GoMachV wrote:Yes, the red shock parts are a slightly different color but fit great! I used them on my Stinger
Thanks! Was the rest NIB? Looks very clean.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yes built mostly from nip parts. The shocks were re anodized
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39118
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Grunger73 wrote:Greetings,
My Optima is missing the right side steering link. Is there a substitute that I can use instead of the overpriced sc89 package? I realize that these things are pretty common but I'd like to stick with something that I don't have to modify and looks like the original.
Thanks
A pair of Lunsford titanium turnbuckles with the same approximate length could probably be had for cheaper than OEM replacements...and would be a much more durable upgrade, plus make adjustments easier. 8) I'd need to confirm but I believe the rod length is about 48 - 49 mm...or 1-15/16".
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Grunger73
Approved Member

Post by Grunger73 »

Coelacanth wrote:
Grunger73 wrote:Greetings,
Thanks
A pair of Lunsford titanium turnbuckles with the same approximate length could probably be had for cheaper than OEM replacements...and would be a much more durable upgrade, plus make adjustments easier. 8) I'd need to confirm but I believe the rod length is about 48 - 49 mm...or 1-15/16".
Thanks. I was contemplating going with the Lunsford turnbuckles as they do make life a lot easier but I think I would rather keep the stock look for now. My digital calliper doesn't have a battery at the moment but when I measured the left side rod with a ruler I got about 50mm. To make life simple , I'll just buy the Scorpion re re set since it's already been proven to be compatible. As for the shock clamps, I purchased an alloy set mad by dhawk-racing. The colour looks good on these. Has anyone used these before?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Grunger73 wrote:As for the shock clamps, I purchased an alloy set mad by dhawk-racing. The colour looks good on these. Has anyone used these before?
If they're the alloy rings with a hole for a set screw in each, be careful with those. Unless you use nylon set screws, the steel ones will bite into your nice anodized surfaces and make lovely o-shaped pips. I've never been a fan of that design. pargu2000's alloy clamps are more expensive, but they have the same design as the original plastic clamps, using a screw to tighten together the opposite clamp-ends. The screws never touch the surface of the shock bodies.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Aluminum on aluminum will always tend to scratch up the body so try to make your decision once and lock it down
Factory Works website