Kyosho Beetle build

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mAdMan

Re: Kyosho Beetle build

Post by mAdMan »

Man that 4x4 chain driven with "torsion" wire suspension is really cool! I would love to see more photos of one. Thanks for sharing that.

I decided to paint the buggy. Don't shoot me! I painted it Herbie :lol:

And swapped wheels with the Scorpion.

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Hey madman, actually the suspension is normal shocks with coil overs, ha ha ha, it works so well, I have blue You-G shocks on mine with internal springs inside the shock body, its still a work in progress, suspension sure works fine on it,

man that paint job is SUPER 8) , i love it cause its simple and elegant, for the longest I could not figure what color to go with but I love military color so I chose olive drab for the genderless SS body with german cross decals on the doors and for the vintage SS body some british racing green, have the tamiya paints bought already, need to prep body, apply undercoat and bamn, paint it, one color, baby, simple and beautiful, easy too!

Waiting on a few hop up goodies from Chris RC before I start.

I will soon upload some pics of the datsun so you can see, been taking a lot of pics showing step by step progress, its a truck, it has ladder chassis, it is like 1/9 scale so very easy to work around.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice! All it's missing are the "53" numbers on the hood & doors. :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mAdMan

Post by mAdMan »

ron wrote:Hey madman, actually the suspension is normal shocks with coil overs, ha ha ha, it works so well, I have blue You-G shocks on mine with internal springs inside the shock body, its still a work in progress, suspension sure works fine on it,

man that paint job is SUPER 8) , i love it cause its simple and elegant, for the longest I could not figure what color to go with but I love military color so I chose olive drab for the genderless SS body with german cross decals on the doors and for the vintage SS body some british racing green, have the tamiya paints bought already, need to prep body, apply undercoat and bamn, paint it, one color, baby, simple and beautiful, easy too!

Waiting on a few hop up goodies from Chris RC before I start.

I will soon upload some pics of the datsun so you can see, been taking a lot of pics showing step by step progress, its a truck, it has ladder chassis, it is like 1/9 scale so very easy to work around.
Thanks! I spent like an hour masking haha. Post some pictures of your olive drab jobs I'd love to see that Datsun.
Coelacanth wrote:Nice! All it's missing are the "53" numbers on the hood & doors. :mrgreen:
I'm still contemplating that. I don't know if I want to go full Herbie, or just use the paint job as an underlying theme. The Kyosho stickers with the orange cut out and split red and blue to put white in the middle would match really well. Hmmm...

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I like it!
:D

I'd say go for the post-apocalyptic Herbie vibe.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

mAdMan

Post by mAdMan »

I did some minor stickering

Thanks you Diggley. The wife likes it, I told her I built it for her, which I kinda did. 8)

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

again very nice beetle, love the milky white very much, the small details looks cool, cosmtize it to your liking,

My color will be olive drab, it will be mate finish of course, for the vintage beetle it will be britishi racing dark green and clear for that gloss finish.

uploading 100+ pics for the beetle and kyosho datsun, will post flickr link as soon as I have created the respective albums,

bought a traxxas 380 brushless 8T for the datsun, I know its a little too small but the scale is perfect, hope it works with the right gear ratio, I will use all 1/16 scale stuff on it too keep the electronic density low.

Nice your Mrs is loving the beetle! 8) Not all wives share that passion!

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

AND HERE IT IS, KYOSHO TRUCK

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110872915@N05/albums/72157667867000676

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE BEETLE ALBUM AGAIN, i added in a few new photos of cb 89 like shocks - 1886s, short red anodized shocks to the buggy as upgrades and TMS dually front wheels, super nice!

mAdMan

Post by mAdMan »

This is so cool thanks for sharing it. I'd love to own a truck chassis like this now.

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

madman, I had seen 2 very much complete that went for around $100, very builtroppf simple design and every thing works in perfect harmony to each other, and very functional. I like the simple and unique design, I'd take this over the tamiya hilux or blazer as preference. I am just trying to add some custom parts to it to make it better in terms of lightweight, more scale looking and just gorgeous. It is bigger than 1/10 scale for sure, size of the blazer and hilux. My traxxas 380 brushless for 1/16 scale application came today, its a very good size for this truck, and it is heavy as some 540 cans. I know it will work. Like I said I am going with smaller and more compact electronics, don't want to hide that beautiful mechanics with wires and what not thats associated with the electronic system of yesteryear. modern electronic systems are more compact and very efficient, low heat motors with very high torque etc.

You can also try RC4WD, check out their range of off road truck chassis, you will be blown away, real aluminum C-channel like ladder chassis, leaf springs, pumpkin axles and all.

well how does the beetle drive?

mAdMan

Post by mAdMan »

ron wrote:madman, I had seen 2 very much complete that went for around $100, very builtroppf simple design and every thing works in perfect harmony to each other, and very functional. I like the simple and unique design, I'd take this over the tamiya hilux or blazer as preference. I am just trying to add some custom parts to it to make it better in terms of lightweight, more scale looking and just gorgeous. It is bigger than 1/10 scale for sure, size of the blazer and hilux. My traxxas 380 brushless for 1/16 scale application came today, its a very good size for this truck, and it is heavy as some 540 cans. I know it will work. Like I said I am going with smaller and more compact electronics, don't want to hide that beautiful mechanics with wires and what not thats associated with the electronic system of yesteryear. modern electronic systems are more compact and very efficient, low heat motors with very high torque etc.

You can also try RC4WD, check out their range of off road truck chassis, you will be blown away, real aluminum C-channel like ladder chassis, leaf springs, pumpkin axles and all.

well how does the beetle drive?
You have me looking at RC4's now lol.

The beetle doesn't handle like the scorpion. Its so far from aerodynamic :lol:

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

hmmn, now that mention it, there would be a lot of drag on the rounded and 'blunt' body of the beetle. at the speeds that can travel, drag does become a big factor for sure. I am pretty rusty and fluid mechanics but these small toys experience laminar flow or low Re flow, drag is quite high. No wonder the beetles were not so popular :-( Well I love the shape, I'd take it over scorp or toma anytime. I love the looks, more than performance.

RC4WD, great aren't they?? talk about scale chevy, land rover and land cruiser bodies, they have some freaking scale ones that are just WOW. Thought about a body for the datsun chassis I have, will wait a bit, I can be just fine without the body.