Finally got around to building progress and gallop.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Finally got around to building progress and gallop.

Post by rccars4sal »

This has been years in the works. I bought 3 cars, all complete, but in rough cosmetic shape. They had been for the most part stored in the open, and very dusty, grungy. All had been run very little, and at least 1 had been run like once or twice by mu calculations,, as the tires were not hardly scratched. All 3 cars came seperately. I also had a decent stash of used spares from building PGs a longggg time ago.

So, fast forward,, in trying to rebuild them I initially got caught up on the rear diffs. They werent going together perfectly,, locking up and stiff. I decided to continue them. One car has a slightly notchy diff, the other 2 are smooth as silk.

All 3 cars are mechanically sound, solid and capable of running with no problems. 100% complete except for tires. All the bent servo arms are in good shape as are the chincy little ball ends. So, its possible to install radio gear and run them. Oh, missing speed controlls, but I wouldnt consider that a loss. They would get an ESC pretty much right off even back in the day in my care.

All the lexan parts are rough. The progress body is slightly flexed when fitted to the car, so eventually they will all split in back at the seam between the cabin and rear section. When I got them, the bodies were in much better shape, but even storing in non flexed, not mounted condition has left them falling apart. Oh well. The gallop roll cage is fully complete, and in excellent shape.

Some strangeness in the build. According to the gallop instructions, the gallop gets a front diff, AND the front 1 way wheels. I thought that gallop had traditional front axles and diff. According to my parts pile, I also have only enough 1 way axles for the 2 progress cars,, and not for the gallop. So I built them as follows,, progress cars having spool front drive and 1 way bearings in the wheels. Progress has front diff and standard front axles.

The tires look good,, but when pressed or flexed in any small way they crack up and fall apart. Im still looking for tires to fit these very odd size wheels. Not willing to pay for 30 year old oem tires that might or might not be just as bad as these.

Click pics to goto the photobucket page.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Finally got around to building progress and gallop.

Post by tamiyadan »

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Good job on the resto´s

Regarding the tires - I´d go for Marwan´s repros of the following:
Rear = Kyosho Turbo Scorpion SC84 Rear Tires (spiked tire) 1 pair
Front = Kyosho Optima Sand Super OT30 (spiked tire) 1 pair

Not MUD*STARS but with tire-lettering they´ll look good
Gone fishing

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I found some rere proline rc10 classic tires. They fit perfectly. Fronts and backs will be same, but oh well,, proline rubber is superior, and they look like a period correct hop up. So,, I can outfit 1 car anyway. Was also considering the j concepts 1.7 tires,, but none in hand, so will have to wait.

Ive also got some proline speed hawg III rears that will fit right on with minimal mods. Those are a really small diameter though and they look fantastic, but in my mind the gearing is waayy off,, so it kinda ruins the image. Function over form, even when form is really cool looking.

Really impressive how the plastic held up to the rebuilds. Its just really good formulation because a typical abs part would be cracked up at every screw hole. The pg plastics even the shiny stuff has held up beautifully.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Yes, I remember seeing all the cox kyosho imports at the toy store in local shopping mall back in the eighties. Years ago, the progress I ran was a cox version. I had outfitted it with full ball bearings, and powered it with a lemans 240st. It was a riot, spitting up gravel like nothing else could. Most of my rc cars were sold to guys who are still active members of Tamiyaclub and rc10talk,, surprising that I never see any of my old stuff.

There was a guy in EU somewhere who hada massive collection and personal museum. He ended up with 2 of the 4-10s I built pretty sure. Another fellow in Japan with a hobby business and huge collection did alot of trading with me,, and thats how i ended up with a big stash of Tamiya coffee cars. Good times,, yep, uhh huh.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

You have noticed fronts and rears are different diameters?
Gone fishing

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Sure. I had been working on the tire dilemma for about 2 years. What I didnt know is that I had collected 2 pairs of rere rc10 tires, and 2 pairs of rc10 dual sport rear tires. The rc10 buggy tires are a slightly better fit. Front wheels are 45mm, and rears are 40mm.

Originally, some duratrax 1.6 tires were tried, but those have to stiff of a rubber compound, and the ones on hand were flat profile, very tall, and just didnt work. Apparently, the rc10 buggy tires were not tried untill just 2 days ago,, because I never remembered if they would fit. What would be cool is if there some dirt hawg tires in 1.5 and 1.7 sizes. They would be perfect.

Huntit123

Post by Huntit123 »

xxxxx xxx xx xxxxxxx xx xxxxx xx xxxx? x xxxx x xxxxxx x xx xx xxxx xx xxxxx xxx.

please read through the rules about trading/selling outside of the b/s/t area.
Thanx

Todd