Scorpion 4x4 Build project

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Scorpion 4x4 Build project

Post by Dadio »

I'm pretty chuffed that it still looks so much like a Scorpion , I've had to make a couple of compromises , the wheels and tyres ,cvj's etc but I feel I still have the essence of scorpion in the design.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Painting went well and I've given the chassis and wheels a scrub , I'm just waiting on a new set of decals and I'll get some finishing photo's before she gets all grubby and scratched up , after the photo session it's gloves off and a video of her getting some proper rough and dirty driving .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Dadio wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm Painting went well and I've given the chassis and wheels a scrub , I'm just waiting on a new set of decals and I'll get some finishing photo's before she gets all grubby and scratched up , after the photo session it's gloves off and a video of her getting some proper rough and dirty driving .
Honestly, I can't wait to see a vid of that pre-optima 4wd that kyosho should have done bitd :!:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Well not going to enter the Build Of The Month this month as I'm still waiting on the decal sheet too arrive :( i'll put her in the next open contest , she's all clean and ready on the shelf but I'm not going to drive her till after the finished photo's , i hate detailed cleaning ! The decals should arrive in a day or two so its not long to wait ,then her real life begins ! none of my cars are shelf queens , even my Dog Fighter yz834-b gets driven from time to time but the Scorpion is in for a much harder life :D

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

A few finished pictures , video soon.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Very very cool!
Next up is the Turbo Scorpion :mrgreen:
Gone fishing

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

My paint scheme is heavily Turbo Scorpion inspired obviously , I'm waiting and watching to see when the Turbo parts are on sale , I really want a white tub and wing , I'm no fan of the yellow tub and wing in fact it haunted me when I first built the kit ! I painted over the yellow tub with white paint but the yellow die in the plastic leeched through , even after 6 coats it was still coming through , I thought it might be some transparency causing the effect so I painted the tub internally as well but it still turned yellow , that's why I got the black tub and that took the paint just fine , strangely the yellow wing took the white paint just fine .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Well i made a short video with the help of a friend but its not great quality , its a stills digi camera taking video , i have now got trouble with the chain tension so i need to make a tensioner , i guess as the chain has run in and stretched a little . Anyway it was no surprise and i always expected to need a tensioner
https://youtu.be/8Zch4oMkta4

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Great build! 8)

I've been running mine to sort out any problems before I video it. I have added a top chain guard because on heavy acceleration there was a lovely "Cracking" sound as the chain smacked the underside of the body> :lol:
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I heard people removed a single link from the chain once it's run in on optimas bitd.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

its really surprising how much difference a single link makes , i was lucky with my dogfighter not to need a tensioner but i do on this one .
i made up a couple of extra pulleys last night , a rear one on an adjustable mount that i'd already fitted but not used and another fitted to a servo horn that i can swing to add tension , i'll road test again tonight as it was late when i finished working last night .

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 pm Well i made a short video with the help of a friend but its not great quality , its a stills digi camera taking video , i have now got trouble with the chain tension so i need to make a tensioner , i guess as the chain has run in and stretched a little . Anyway it was no surprise and i always expected to need a tensioner
That's REALLY cool - the 4wd side of it is obvious here, no stock scorpion could ever accelerate that hard and look that balanced!

Superb building job!

(and utterly crappy driving at 0:07 :lol: )
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Dadio wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 pm Well i made a short video with the help of a friend but its not great quality , its a stills digi camera taking video , i have now got trouble with the chain tension so i need to make a tensioner , i guess as the chain has run in and stretched a little . Anyway it was no surprise and i always expected to need a tensioner
That's a pretty good test run. The way it drives reminds me of an Optima with that unmistakeable chain sound. 8)

Compare to this, with also utterly crappy driving, but I blame part of it on the wrong choice of tires for the gravel road: :P

https://youtu.be/7jv-2dYfyQQ
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The tensioner works well but I now have a glitchy ESC , it was one of those mega cheap 120a esc's off eBay that I had to hand , a better one is now coming , I still can't get over the wheelies it pulls , I thought with all the added weight up front it would not happen , I guess I need to release the slipper clutch a bit more .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

1300GT wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 pm Great build! 8)

I've been running mine to sort out any problems before I video it. I have added a top chain guard because on heavy acceleration there was a lovely "Cracking" sound as the chain smacked the underside of the body> :lol:
I still can't wait to see that car run , on any build like these there are always little things to sort out , some you expect and some are a surprise .
Later on I found that one of the 6mm flanged bearings in the trunions (king pin replacements) had broken , probably when I cartwheeled it in the video clip , I was kind of expecting that too but not the way it failed , I expected the race to break up but only the flange had sheared off leaving the bearing intact they were from a batch of cheap Chinese bearings I've had for ages and I've replaced with a better one so I'll see how long it lasts , I'm kind of planning on either going to 7mm bearings or making top arms , I really don't want top arms as it's just too big a visual change ..........
Still a work in progress I guess but at least I can now drive her again .