The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: Real cars have 4 wheels

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Nice wheels!
Mr. ED wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 5:41 pm
These renderings show some of the work put into the design: trying to keep in thin walled but strong. the prints will be much duller. No way to print a shiny part just yet.
Seems like some high-end industrial grade machines are getting closer at producing less matte parts though. Just last weekend my dad showed me some rocket engine parts made from 3D printed nylon and also steel (!), rapid prototyping (crude) and closer to production (quite smooth, about the same finishing as molded parts, cast iron-like finishing in the case of the steel parts). The printing resolution was also quite a bit higher than what usually comes out of Shapeways and the like. Pretty impressive.

aircooled

Re: MR ED 's ultima hop-ups

Post by aircooled »

Hi there,

just stumbled across this thread and was wondering whether those 3D parts are commercially available somewhere?
Cheers
Bertin

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Not quite yet, but I'm open to work out something. Shoot me a pm with the part(s) you'd like and your country of residence.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

BIG UPDATE on Ultima Hop-ups

Post by Mr. ED »

Around the start of July I noticed Tamiyadan posting pictures of his home-routed ultima shocktowers and assumed he was working on an Ultima.
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=41777&start=360
Having seen his 3D printed work in the same thread, I decided to offer him the cad data for the hop-ups you've seen in the previous posts.

As it turned out, the shocktowers were not part of a project, but now we had something to work on together.
Dan has put in lots of work to make the parts design printable with filament printers and solve dimension inaccuracies.
We also extended the model to serve as a mock-up for further hop-ups still in the pipe-line; Dan working with the LWB ultima2 Kelron chassis, me with the SWB of the gen1, pro and turbo chassis.

Time for some pictures:
b1ncSGy.jpg
Dan's Ultima II with the new front bulkhead, hinge-pin brace, C-carriers and bumper. Possibly also printed steering knuckles... Dan?
Body mount and battery posts were also printed, and the G10 shocktowers and topdeck are all Dan's making.
mail3.jpg
Whoopsie: seems my measurement was off just a mm, or half of that, on the height of the rear bulkhead attachment to the gearbox.
steering_start.jpg
First version of a hopped-up steering set-up by Dan. the final version will use 10x5mm bearins instead of the 11x5mm ones shown here.
mail2.jpg
The rear bulkhead has no hop-up value and was just drawn in a basic shape to complete the mock-up. Dan decided to print it anyway and you can see some of the changes for the filament printing.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

So what's next?

Well, I hope Dan can put up some pics witht the printed wheels, as I can't find them in the over 250 mails we've exchanged in less than 2 months :shock:

Neither of us are planning to set up a commerce around them so we're leaning towards making the files available on thingyverse or shapeways. I still have to look into that and make sure the right version gets uploaded. We have many versions of certain parts; original corrected, for mock-up, for print... I hope Dan knows which is which :mrgreen:

I also want to add a printed motor guard to the list of hop-ups.
And I have started on a new rear arm and axle carrier combo. As it stands the inner hinges are quadra symmetric, but the outer hinges not yet. The new combo aims at fixing that.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Last post for today, well maybe.
I would like to complete my CAD model with a mock-up of the Turbo Ultima chassis and top deck: for completenes and as a base for a body/cage design.
Unfortunately I don't have a fresh (un-cut and straight) chassis to measure up, and no original top deck at all.
If anyone could trace a top deck on a piece of paper with a sharp pencil, scan it and PM it to me. That would really help me move forward.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

What are your intentions for the upper? Are you needing it for mock up, or will you be selling them? I can provide a DXF or DWG or even a pdf of my upper but not if you will be my competition LOL!...hope that makes sense.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Sure. That makes it even easier for me.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The quadra symmetrical arms are in place now, but the rear axle carrier needs a little correction still. The bal link and bolt are rubbing the wheel . I only noticed after assembling everything.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Started a first attempt at a cage style body.
What do you think?
rough idea.png
Note the new topdeck. Big thanks to Jeff. It would have taken a lot more time without his dwg.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

looks good, like a scale baja crawler. For a sand rail, I'd think you might want to lower the cage a little. depends on what you are going for.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I want something tubular, that would look right at home if parked between a wild-one and this:
030146ed.jpg
It's probably going to be higher than a stock ultima body cause I want to keep the 2.2 wheels and long shocks but put them to better proportions. And I'll probably widen it to a double-seater too... To keep the legal width but not have the wheels stick out as far.
Retro is key for this one.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yep, that will be COOL.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Your cage design indeed has a distinct Wild One look.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3