Outrage ST clean-up

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longardeaux

Outrage ST clean-up

Post by longardeaux »

Hi! I'm new here :)

Short version: I have acquired an Outrage ST with a busted diff gear and am restoring it to functioning condition

Longer version: when my brother was in college he bought an RC boat at a garage sale, took out the radio and servos, and had me sell the remainder (hull and motor) on eBay. He got more for that than he had paid for the whole thing and bought an Outrage ST (no body, radio, or servos) from eBay. He put the radio and servos from the boat into it and had a grand time. Later it was upgraded with a Futaba ESC, and some time after that it stopped working. "Something wrong with the transmission" he said, and gave me the truck. By that point I was in college and didn't have any money to put into it (I was too busy spending my money on skateboards, but that's another story) and eventually forgot that he had given me the truck.

Fast forward about a decade to now; I have a four year old who loves it when I get out my old toy-grade RC stuff (Nikko Road Shredder, Land Shark, Aero Thunderbolt, Tyco Fast Traxx, Radio Shack Bedlam (yeah I loved anything with tank treads)) and I decided it may be fun to get something hobby-grade. Problem is, I still don't have much money (the four-year-old has two younger siblings) so I told my brother to keep an eye on craigslist for me (he loves craigslist).

He texts back the next day with, "you've got that one up in storage that you haven't done anything with..." and I realized I had forgotten all about his giving me the old Kyosho. I drove up to where it was and stopped at a local hobby shop on the way home to see if they could tell me anything about it. It mostly drew low whistles and "I haven't seen one of these in years... good luck!" but they were gracious enough to figure out what model it was and give me some pointers on what to look for.

Armed only with "there's something wrong with the transmission" I decided to tear it apart and see what was wrong. Spoiler alert: one of the side gears in the diff had been shredded into four pieces.

Since making that video I ordered a set of Optima diff gears for the re-release of that vehicle because I had read that the Outrage used the same gearbox as the old Optima. Long story slightly longer, they don't quite work but I sure got close. I have now ordered the correct gears and am waiting on USPS to mosey to my house with them. In the meantime I've completely disassembled the truck and cleaned nearly every part of it (time-lapse video forthcoming) and it's starting to look decent. Now if only USPS would show up...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Outrage ST clean-up

Post by Coelacanth »

Welcome longardeaux, your story was a great read, and reminded me of mine. After digging up my old Optima car and parts sitting in a couple of boxes in a closet for many years, and doing a proper resto job on it, I also found my younger brother's Marui Galaxy in a box. I didn't even remember that he'd left it with me, or how it ended up with me.

As I unboxed it and checked it out, I noticed how bad the suspension and other parts of the Galaxy were, and decided to resto-mod it. I ended up giving it back to him as a birthday gift, it was quite the surprise when he saw it again! It didn't look very much like the original car, mind you... :twisted:

So, good luck restoring your bro's Outrage. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

longardeaux

Post by longardeaux »

Update:
While cleaning the truck I got some contact cleaner on one of the tires which promptly cracked the rubber, but it's holding together well enough for now. The correct gears arrived and I got the truck fully reassembled with a healthy dab of new Kyosho grease in that diff which now spins smooth as a... I dunno, something smooth.

When I reinstalled the rear shocks I put them on the middle of the five possible mount points on the lower wishbone, because this is what the Outrage manual depicts. I'm not sure if the dogbones are just a little too short for this configuration or if the outdrives were too worn, but while testing on the workbench one of the dogbones slipped loose. I moved the shock over one spot and the same thing happened, this time chipping a piece off of the outdrive. I moved it over one more spot to the outermost mount (lowest stance/shortest travel) and everything seemed to function properly. Incidentally this is where my brother had the shocks mounted when I disassembled the thing. He must've known something I clearly didn't :roll: :lol:

The truck at that point drove like a champ, though it steers more quickly to the left than the right (even when the trim is set properly) so I don't know what's up with that.

I bashed (that's what we cool kids call it, right? bashing? I'm new to this) around for a while yesterday and had a ton of fun; got it out again tonight and on a crooked landing one of the rear axles snapped :| thankfully the same eBay seller that had the correct diff gears also has the correct wheel shafts along with beefed up (hardened steel) outdrives.

The guy at the local hobby shop warned me that an old vehicle would "nickel and dime" me (of course he wanted me to buy a new one; easier to find parts and all that) but for all I'm learning and the $40.70 total investment so far (ignoring the incorrect gears I bought) I'm totally happy :mrgreen:

Pictures and video to follow in the next few days.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

longardeaux wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 pm When I reinstalled the rear shocks I put them on the middle of the five possible mount points on the lower wishbone, because this is what the Outrage manual depicts. I'm not sure if the dogbones are just a little too short for this configuration or if the outdrives were too worn, but while testing on the workbench one of the dogbones slipped loose. I moved the shock over one spot and the same thing happened, this time chipping a piece off of the outdrive. I moved it over one more spot to the outermost mount (lowest stance/shortest travel) and everything seemed to function properly. Incidentally this is where my brother had the shocks mounted when I disassembled the thing. He must've known something I clearly didn't :roll: :lol:
Often, on Kyoshos, the manual instructs to put a ring between the bearing holding the diff and the diff outdrives (I assume these are the ones that slide over the diff axles and attach with a set screw?). That might solve your issue.

longardeaux

Post by longardeaux »

EvolutionRevolution wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:11 am Often, on Kyoshos, the manual instructs to put a ring between the bearing holding the diff and the diff outdrives (I assume these are the ones that slide over the diff axles and attach with a set screw?). That might solve your issue.
Thanks! I have new outdrives on the way so I'll check it out when they arrive. In the meantime, here's a video (including some driving!)