Optima Mid Questions/Help

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

billpete
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Questions/Help

Post by billpete »

The packaging got thrown away (overzealous recycling girlfriend!) so I cannot remember. I might try to get back to the store and see.

I can take a pic if you want.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sure, I'd imagine someone here has seen them before. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Ok, here they are:

You can see the picture with the hub in it, how the hub will not fit in smoothly. I could force it in there with some effort, but getting the hub out with be a challenge.

Thoughts?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

billpete wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 5:07 pm You can see the picture with the hub in it, how the hub will not fit in smoothly. I could force it in there with some effort, but getting the hub out with be a challenge.

Thoughts?
Made in China...sorry, that's all I got. :? The wheels look like they're meant for 12mm hex, but bad QA happened. Both vintage Kyosho and most modern RC car wheels are all metric 12mm hex, I don't believe there was a Standard equivalent that was close. So all I can suggest is those wheels are just a bit off.

Do other 12mm hubs have the same fitment issue in those wheels? If yes, then it's the wheels. If a caliper measures all your 12mm hubs to be exactly 12mm, then again, it must be the wheels.

I thought I'd seen all the Chinese knock-off wheels on eBay, but there you go--I never saw those ones before. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Yeah I think that the wheels are the culprit.

They do work with some other plastic hex hubs I have. They will go on my hotshot as a general purpose run around wheel.

I was hoping to use them on my mid, since it is the only car I have running right now. I did order some other wheels/tires and once they are in I will be GTG.

Thanks for the help!

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Ok guys, shock questions now.

My mid has the platinum shocks on it. The plastic end on one of the rears broke, and a pretty thorough search of the net shows little to no replacement parts available for the platinum shocks.

Right now, the plan is for this to be a runner--no racing for the time being.

Anyone with some shock recommendations?

Will the re-re Optima shocks work on the mid?

Thanks!

BP

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

billpete wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pmThe plastic end on one of the rears broke, and a pretty thorough search of the net shows little to no replacement parts available for the platinum shocks.

Right now, the plan is for this to be a runner--no racing for the time being.

Anyone with some shock recommendations?

Will the re-re Optima shocks work on the mid?
Bill, are you referring to the black ball-end that threads onto the shock shaft bottom? Replacing those ball-ends should be as easy as unscrewing it and replacing with a good one. You should have no trouble finding those 5.8mm ball-ends all over eBay. I actually replace those with 4.8mm ball cups and 4.8mm aluminum ball studs, I get rid of the larger open 5.8mm pillow balls (as Kyosho calls them) as they let dirt in and wear out the ball-ends quite quickly, with the result that the shocks, camber links or tie-rods start popping off frequently.

This pic shows what I'm talking about; I use these 4.8mm ball studs and cups pretty much everywhere, substituting them for the OEM pillow balls and open ball-ends for shock bottoms, tie-rod ends, camber links and even stabilizer ends.

If you're talking about the plastic adjuster ring thingie, those would indeed be a pain to source, as they're specific to only those Platinum shocks.

billpete
Approved Member

Post by billpete »

Hey!

Thank you for the reply.

I think that we are talking about the same time.

Here is the picture of my broken one:

Are we talking about the same thing? This end screws into the bottom of the shock--the plastic end is threaded to screw into the shock, not the shaft, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Ahh, so it looks like that ball-end has external threads to screw into that round aluminum part, and the aluminum part with the plastic ring threads onto the shock shaft, from the looks of it...

If the shock shafts are 3mm threaded at the bottoms as I expect, you could probably remove that whole aluminum ring deal and replace them with typical shock ball-ends and bottom spring perches. After you screw on a ball-end, the plastic spring perches are simply slotted through the shaft and pressed onto the ball-ends.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

OK, platinum shocks are unlike any others due to Kyosho designing a externally adjustable damping system.

please look at this thread for an exploded view:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22427&hilit=platinum+instructions

the short answer is platinum shocks require specific ball ends so you need to find a replacement if you intend to use it. The good news is that occasionally they pop up as part of shock lots and you an probably get one in relatively short period just keeping your eyes peeled.

otherwise, the re-release shocks will fit or you can find old kyosho golds, readily available aftermarket ones like 3racing, etc. or even associated shocks.

those wheels just have a really tight 12mm hex on them. molded vs machined there is a wide variation in tolerance for these hubs and wheels.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

hah, that's funny....TamiyaDan and I were practically typing the same stuff at the same time, HA.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If you want to run it, you might consider buying a set of these, I've heard they're very good repros of the original Kyosho Gold shocks. I'm not a fan of the Platinums and wouldn't use them except for a shelfer.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/381671878040

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah, definitely not the first time our replies looked alike, :lol: :lol: :lol: