Optima Truck Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Optima Truck Build

Post by Coelacanth »

I have some NIP chains in my parts stash, I can send you one for the price of shipping from Canada to USA. I can probably send it in an ordinary envelope between some pieces of cardboard, without even any Customs hassles. PM me if you're interested.

When you said the sound happens at regular intervals, and seeing the chain with that wonky link, I agree it could be the chain. Too bad that replacing it is a pain, unless you detach a link and feed it through like shown in the manual. It's doable but you might have to use harsh language.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Thanks! I'll PM you on that chain. I got it figured out. It was that one link that was tweaked a little. It was binding or catching or something. I pulled that link off and straightened it out as best i could. It fixed the problem for the most part, but under power in reverse you can hear a slight "tick" every time that link goes through the front diff. I think Ill just replace this chain for peace of mind.. I took apart the chain at the top and then tried to feed it back through after fixing it. Fail! :!: :lol: I got it through the rear diff ok but once I got it to the front I managed to bind up the chain to where I had to take apart the front diff housing just to get the chain out. All in all, I only had to take half the car (i mean truck) apart. 8)

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Progress update! :D I got the body today from TBG and rough cut the perimeter of it just to see how it will fit. The wheelbase is spot on and the width is perfect. This body gives it a more realistic scale appearance with just enough tire sticking out to give it a mean stance. I have to fab up some body mounts now and do some more trimming around the wheelwells, but I think this will work. :D
Attachments
DSC08908.JPG
DSC08909.JPG
DSC08910.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

That looks awesome! I really like the tire and body choice!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Here's what I came up with last night for body mounts. I wanted something strong and easily replaceable so I made some basic angle pieces out of Kydex and used them to mount traxxas slash body mount parts. It looks like it will work well. I plan on putting this truck to the test from the backyard to the track and I don't want the vintage Optima inside to be in danger of damage more than it has to be.
Attachments
DSC08913.JPG
DSC08912.JPG

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice, looks pretty much similar to the original Kyosho Rampage truck body mounts. In fact, I might actually like yours better, they're leaner and less clunky-looking. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Got around to the body last night. Finished up the trimming until it doesn't rub the tires at full suspension compression. Started throwing some paint at it last night and realized I was out of silver. So after a trip to the lhs this morning, I finished putting the color down. Working on a front bumper for it next and adding some decals.
Attachments
DSC09246.JPG
DSC09247.JPG

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

Got some decals on it. Used mostly original Optima decals to give it that "Optima flavor" combined with some Toyota decals. I didn't like how the simulated spare tire was so glossy from being painted on the inside, so I taped it off again and sprayed it on the outside with satin black to give it a more realistic rubber look.
Attachments
DSC09249.JPG

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

You nailed it!
Gone fishing

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

The bumper is a modified Traxxas Slash piece. As you can see, I put a full interior in it complete with Leonardo the ninja turtle as a driver. I know----unnecessary weight and blah blah blah. :roll: For me, the ninja turtle, was too 8) Now I need to get to my neighborhood track on a nice day and scratch up this new body with some testing. :shock: I'm going to use the 19t arconite as a baseline motor and then try some other brushed motors I have laying around. I've got a couple new 14t quads I would like to try out with this truck. With the higher center of gravity and the taller soft sidewall of the tires, I'm expecting more of a tendency to traction roll than in a low slung buggy configuration, but I'm going to play around with it and see what kind of performance I can get with it.
Attachments
DSC09250.JPG
DSC09251.JPG
DSC09252.JPG
DSC09253.JPG
DSC09254.JPG
DSC09255.JPG
DSC09256.JPG

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

"Like" :lol: I'm really liking the direction you went with this. Everything flows and fits so well. Except for Leo. He sticks out like a sore thumb, but looks very 8) behind the wheel! And now I have the cartoon theme song stuck in my head.

Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines... Raphael is cool but rude (give me a break), Michelangelo is a party dude!!! :mrgreen:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

:lol: