Big Brute Jeep Project

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RCveteran
Approved Member

Big Brute Jeep Project

Post by RCveteran »

The original body is gone and on it's way to becoming a monster version of my real Wrangler. This is the JK body many use for crawler projects off Ebay. Stripped for paint of trim and such. I've had crawlers and get bored. Big brute is more my style. Real Jeep photo included. It's Mopar Plum Crazy Purple but on Jeep they call it Xtreme Purple Clearcoat :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheelbase-275mm-Body-Jeep-JK-1-10-RED-1-10-RC-Crawler-Yellow-/321969041579?hash=item4af6d9b0ab:g:nM8AAOSwGotWjfjI

Wheelbase was perfect match and stock body mounts. Like it was meant to be, Need to prime and have Mopar matching paint ready to go.
bRUTE.jpg
pUNK MICH FORUM.jpg
Still in Big Brute trim here. This is overall very nice condition Brute.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25198&p=256973&hilit=big+brute#p256973

RCveteran
Approved Member

Re: Big Brute Jeep Project

Post by RCveteran »

purple.jpg
primed.jpg
Primer needs to dry overnight (or at least till I get impatient) now. Rattle can is perfect as this sucker will see some action.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice...I *do* love me some Plum Crazy! Of all the wild colors of the late 60's and early 70's--Panther Pink, SubLime, Go Mango, Hemi Orange...I think I liked Plum Crazy best of all. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I agree. Plum Crazy Xtreme call it what you want, it suits the Brute.

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

It's awesome to see another surviving Big Brute, especially one with original tires that aren't flat and cracked!!!

Keep vintage Kyosho alive!!!

I'm been tempted more than once to pick up a 'Brute or Double Dare...

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

There's a guy on Ebay right now selling a bunch of his Kyosho crusher collection clearly. I have no connection but I am tempted. Of all the cars I had as a kid my fondest memories are of the Brute. I tore up the yard, took it on vacations, he got around. They had a reputation for breaking but I was lucky, I beat the heck out of it for years. It helps that I worked at a Hobby Shop in Il and spoke to Great Planes distributing regularly for parts at the time.

You're right about the tires, I got this one close to ten years ago and they were like new, still holding up well as it rarely gets driven. I couldn't wait to paint.
pur brute.jpg

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Curious if anyone ever fitted oil filled shocks. I am sure I can adapt a gazillion different kinds but anyone have direct experience. To best of my knowledge there was never a hop up offered, and if there was good luck finding one today. They measure 90mm hole to hole. Looks like I can just grab some Ebay special 90mm "big bore" schocks.

These are close and the right color, for a whopping $15 I'll roll the dice. If they fit poorly and are sloppy they will go perfectly with the slop driving experience that is Big Brute :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Racing-08001-Aluminum-Cap-95mm-Shocks-Volcano-EPX-SCX10-RC4WD-Crawler-/182703712774?epid=2120959568&hash=item2a89fd6a06:g:A9UAAOSw1DtXIs4Z

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

20170903_100836.jpg
20170903_100819.jpg
Punk 2.jpg
Punk 1.jpg
20170903_101925.jpg
I have Thorp dogbones in there now, will be converting gears too. I have a Lemans Monster Mash motor ready to go. Also aluminum servo mounts and need to find aluminum Shock Towers. If I recall they were branded under maxtrax.

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

RCveteran wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:50 pm Curious if anyone ever fitted oil filled shocks. I am sure I can adapt a gazillion different kinds but anyone have direct experience. To best of my knowledge there was never a hop up offered, and if there was good luck finding one today. They measure 90mm hole to hole. Looks like I can just grab some Ebay special 90mm "big bore" schocks.

These are close and the right color, for a whopping $15 I'll roll the dice. If they fit poorly and are sloppy they will go perfectly with the slop driving experience that is Big Brute :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Racing-08001-Aluminum-Cap-95mm-Shocks-Volcano-EPX-SCX10-RC4WD-Crawler-/182703712774?epid=2120959568&hash=item2a89fd6a06:g:A9UAAOSw1DtXIs4Z
BITD, Duratrax gold shocks fit perfect. I had them on mine along with the complete Thorp drive line and ball diff. Still have it, thought about restoring it several times but get discouraged when I look at how beat it is.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

Basher67
Approved Member

Post by Basher67 »

I bought a couple sets of those cheap ebay anodized shocks last year for my sledgehammer and I've been very happy with them. Springs were too stiff so I put the stock springs on the new shocks. They may not perform as good as new proline big bores but they are ton better than any shocks that came on an eighties monster truck and at that price they are hard to beat.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I also bought a couple sets of the 3Racing shocks and found them to be surprisingly good for the price ($29.99 for a set of four). I used them on an Optima and a Marui Galaxy. I found the shocks to be quite stiff, but a combination of lighter weight shock oil and opening up the holes slightly in the plastic shock pistons got me the desired dampening feel. I think the sets I bought came with 3 sets of springs, too. At the end of the day, they were working almost as well as Kyosho Golds...so not too shabby for a $30 set of shocks!

Problem is, the set was for the Lazer ZX-5, and I believe they were discontinued...I cannot find them anywhere, anymore. I would've liked to buy a couple more sets. I'm sure 3Racing makes sets for more current cars, but I'd need to confirm exact measurements before buying some.

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3