Kyosho turbo optima 14x

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Shiftykapone22

Kyosho turbo optima 14x

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

Hey everyone, I have been looking at countless photos and read countless posts but can't find any information or similarities of the buggies I see posted to the Optima 14x. I found one on ebay for what seems to be a good price but the bottom side doesn't have a pan like most I see on here but rather a plastic what appears to me battery cover for AAs? I have searched 14x and seems nothing comes up so I figured I would ask the experts. Sorry if I missed something or didn't search correctly

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho turbo optima 14x

Post by Coelacanth »

What's a Turbo Optima 14x? Never heard of that...or I'm misunderstanding something.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Shiftykapone22

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hmm, I found this...a 1:14 scale RTR car that doesn't bear any relation to 1:10 Kyosho Optima series. It looks like a plastic toy-grade car. It's not even a kit.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78082-kyosho-turbo-optima-14x-rtr-like-tamiya-qd-any-interest/

The one in the link sold for $42. A decent Turbo Optima would probably pull $150 to $200+.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Shiftykapone22

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

Yeah I saw that one, but like you said it seems like a cheap knock off or something so I was curious it this was maybe the first edition before they improved the quality or if its just some cheap Kmart version sellout. Can't find anything really substantial on it. Thanks for the help!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Found this, too...the Kyosho Sky Bomber. Looks like the same chassis.

https://www.todocoleccion.net/radio-control-coches-motos/coche-radio-control-electrico-kyosho-sky-bomber-14x-escala-1-14-fa-series-1988~x66195922

It's not much more than a Radio Shack-style toy-grade RC, from the looks of things.

Shiftykapone22

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

Haha so your saying stay away from it! Well I am glad I asked then before I got too excited. I am very new to all this and I appreciate the help, so again thanks!!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Yeah, unless you want it as an oddity in your collection, I'd stay away. I wonder if Kyosho even made those toys, or if they just put their name on it. If you're looking to get into the hobby, get a vintage aluminum 1:10-scale car that came as a kit, not a ready-made plastic toy. Good luck, with patience and determination, you'll find something better...MUCH better. Lots of Optimas and Ultimas can be had, just make sure they have an aluminum frame chassis, or even a carbon fiber/graphite upgrade chassis plate, not a plastic tub.

That Sky Bomber really is Da Bomb...

Not. :lol:

Shiftykapone22

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

Haha!! Thanks for the advice, as much as I like odd rc cars I dont think this will make the collection. As you said I will stick to the kits, just never seeing one like that I figured I better ask so I don't miss something special. Honestly thought I was gonna get my head bit off for not knowing what it was, glad you guys are understanding and helpful!! Thanks!!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

they were made by Kyosho, and sold as entry level toys for young brother to start out with. They offered bearings and oil shocks, I think you could also buy different tires. Parts were also available, FC was the prefix
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Shiftykapone22 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:23 pmHonestly thought I was gonna get my head bit off for not knowing what it was, glad you guys are understanding and helpful!! Thanks!!
No worries, I clearly had no idea what it was, either. :mrgreen:

Shiftykapone22

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:27 pm they were made by Kyosho, and sold as entry level toys for young brother to start out with. They offered bearings and oil shocks, I think you could also buy different tires. Parts were also available, FC was the prefix
So there really isn't any collector value to them? It is missing the remote but they were asking 25$. Seems in good shape but if there is no rarity or value I may pass

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

People collect stamps and bottle caps. There is probably a collector out there that has a few of em. If your buying because it's cool, $25 is a good price. If your buying as an investment, well...I can't really say
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Shiftykapone22

Post by Shiftykapone22 »

Haha OK point taken. Obviously rc cars are a hobby and probably a risky investment unless your buying for pennies on the dollar. I know very little of Kyosho so like I said right away just was curious to see if there was any collector value to these in a more mainstream aspect. Obviously there are the niche collectors that may want one but looking for more of the rare or high end products. Thanks for the info!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

No problem. We don't really do the values thing here, but asking rarity isn't really a big deal. Problem is that rarity doesn't follow desirability. These are pretty rare really, you don't see them very often. However they also don't bring much when they are sold. They are a lot like the Tamiya QD series.
Factory Works website