New to me TRX-1

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Momo5
Approved Member

New to me TRX-1

Post by Momo5 »

I always knew I'd be adding the TRX-1 to my RC family, but I didnt expect to get one now. My neighbor got this in trade, and hes not interested in vintage RC so I traded him a few things for it...

Although its in good condition, its got some work that needs to be done. It pains me that some of the plastics are dyed an aweful blue. I cant decide if I want to dye everything black, or spend the money to turn it back to its natural white color.

I'm fairly familier with this buggy because I've been slowly working on my Blue Eagle LS, but I'm not sure about rebuilding these shocks. Is there a rebuild kit I can buy that will work with these shocks? Also spring size...what springs will work with them?

farmer
Approved Member

Re: New to me TRX-1

Post by farmer »

I think it looks cool with the
Blue ,, it has a modern retro look about it
It's a clean looking buggy
And the body has a cool
Paint job to
Farmer
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

Great find!

I could be wrong, but I thought all of the old 'bottom load' traxxas shocks used the same seals.

Take a look at tower part LXJJ17 and see if it'll work for you. Horizon has it listed as TRA2362.

You could also measure the inner and outer diameters to see if they are the same size as those used in other shocks (AE, Losi, etc).

O-rings are fairly standard and should be relatively easy to source once you know the OD and ID measurements.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

looks like a great start and everything is there.

this is the shock rebuild:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJ17&P=ML

blue or dyed black, that is your call, I might leave blue but redye really dark to even out some of the variation. even moving to white, most parts easy to track down except for gear cover and battery boxes. wheels might be tough to track down too, but you could use standard white dish wheels also.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

farmer wrote:it has a modern retro look about it
"Modern retro look"? :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

oh, i think standard losi springs will fit also. They are a smidge larger in diameter than associated springs, just like the losi ones.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

If that was my car, and I had a magic wand, I would wave it around, say the magic words, and un-dye those parts back to white. That being said, I also think that the blue looks pretty cool. That's probably what I would have done to it bitd. Either way, cool car! 8)

Emaxx2.0
Approved Member

Post by Emaxx2.0 »

IDK I actually love the way that buggy looks. Trust me I hate it i see a blue or green Traxxas bandit/Rustler haha. I'll keep it the way it is and run it.
Traxxas SRT and TCP. Keeping a dying breed alive.

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

I think I have a plan for this buggy now, but I cant shake the idea that I read in the past that there was a TRX-1 Pro released by traxxas. If I am not mistaken, can someone tell me the difference between the TRX1 and TRX1 Pro?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

well...there was the TRX-1 followed very shortly by the 'worlds' version, the gold round sticker on the box. There is info here in the forum somewhere, but bottom line it was pretty much just the shocks were changed, you have the 'worlds' ones, hard anodized vs the light blue of the original release.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

OK, I might have some useful insight on this one. The blue plastics are really one of those six in one, half dozen in the other type deals. They were obviously white at one time, so chances are they're brittle to the point that you can't really use them as a runner. I've had several Traxxas vehicles with original white plastics and they will shatter under the slightest jolt. Best bet is to go with the newer black components if you intend to run it. If you're looking for a shelfer, start the search for new white parts and put on a pot of coffee because it's not gonna happen overnight.

For springs, Associated are the best fit. Just a hair smaller in diameter, but will fit nicely with minor effort. Losi springs fit Traxxas big bores nicely, but are a little too big on the pro-series shocks on the TRX-1. Oh and you'll need truck fronts because AE buggy fronts are way too short. And as posted above, the main difference between the standard TRX-1 and the Worlds kit are the y gray hard-anodized shock bodies and the front tires. Original TRX-1 came with blue shock bodies like the Blue Eagle.

Shock rebuild kits are the same as the newer 2362 kits for Ultra and big bore shocks. The bladders are a little bigger on the new kits, but will work. Seals and e-clips are the same though.

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Good info..thanks guys. There is a diff rebuild kit for the Blue Eagle LS on ebay right now. Will it work for this TRX1? If so Id rather buy the kit instead of having to hunt down all the items I need.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the blue eagle diff rebuild is probably all the same parts except diff rings. I believe stealth rings(and diff gear) are the same or will fit.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

harry697 wrote:OK, I might have some useful insight on this one.
Thanx Sam 8)

I've had several Traxxas vehicles with original white plastics and they will shatter under the slightest jolt.Thanx Sam :cry:
:lol:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Momo5 wrote:Good info..thanks guys. There is a diff rebuild kit for the Blue Eagle LS on ebay right now. Will it work for this TRX1? If so Id rather buy the kit instead of having to hunt down all the items I need.

The Blue Eagle diff rebuild (#4630) has quite a few parts in common with the Pro-diff rebuild (2730). I do know for sure that the Blue Eagle diff uses 1/8" diff balls while the Pro-diff (what is used in the TRX-1) uses 3/32" balls. You'll be better off looking for the 2730 rebuild kit. Or even better yet, the 2730x kit which comes with carbide diff balls.

I checked on buytraxxas and it looks like the rebuild kit for the pro-diff isn't available. I've found them at hobby shops and ebay before though. Good luck with your search!