Race Rustler build

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

85Edinger
Approved Member

Re: Race Rustler build

Post by 85Edinger »

I've barely touched it all winter, and the few times it came out was just for driving with friends. It needs new rear shock fluid along with other basic maintenance. It currently could use a new steering bellcrank as the original one has developed lots of slop. I'm thinking about getting a Hot Racing one. I also think the ribbed front tires need to be replaced before I do any racing, because I was too cheap to get separate front tires for bashing and now they are worn. I might use the ones from my Hawk 2 (sold it at the VONATS) as replacements.
I'm about to glue up four new Badland 2.8's on Desperados as bashing tires (Trenchers were nice but ridiculously heavy).
In related news, I got a used Slash 4x4 late last year with Losi Ten-SCTE shocks, an STRC LCG chassis, and a Castle 1410/ Mamba Max system last year. It needed a little work, but it was an awesome deal and I had it whipped into shape in no time. It's been an awesome basher and I think it will make a good track car, 4x4 SCT is big at my local track.
Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been on here much. Scr8p was right last year when he predicted real cars would take over.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Jester_The_RC_Guy
Approved Member

Post by Jester_The_RC_Guy »

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Got some updates to my rustler. I went full bullet-proof mod. Started with my vintage bandit roller, and dressed it up with proline 66 ford f100 stampede body, proline pro-trac arms, strc c-hubs, strc hinge-pins, strc knuckles, rpm front shock tower, mip x-duty drive-shafts, kyosho rb5 front wheel shafts, kyosho lazer zx-5 steering bellcrank conversion, 3-racing shocks, velienon esc and motor and traxxas 2.4 radio, vxl turnbuckles, traxxas wheelie bar, 32 pitch slipper-less spur set-up, custom aluminum bar bumper, repurposed roll bar from nikko scorpion.

In the end I have two ruslers, one bone stock and one modded monster truck. future upgrades include strc front bulkhead and rear hubs and new rims. I tried the proline protrac steering system but was extremely disappointed with it as it was like rubber and flexed horribly.

Jester_The_RC_Guy
Approved Member

Post by Jester_The_RC_Guy »

nice! doing up my bandit for racing, glad to see you (kinda) are as well!

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Nice body!
I ended up drilling holes in the bottoms of the caster blocks, and tapping them for screws. Now I put screws in those holes to pin the caster blocks to the hinge pins. It got rid of the slop from the aluminum wearing.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

I drilled tiny holes perpendicular to the hingepin so that i could insert my syringe oiler and lube from inside out and flush them out. So far it works great, i just lube up each pack and have no slop develop yet. Did this on bulkheads as well. I just use 3in1 generously and wipe away excess.