new LS-II build

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

harry697
Approved Member

Re: new LS-II build

Post by harry697 »

BMKTW2 wrote:
I've always used the medium spacers on those rear turnbuckles. It gives more clearance with the gear cover. Might be causing the cover to egg shape and go into the outdrive iono
Cool build so far!

I don't think there is any interference there, but it sure makes it difficult to install/remove the gear cover. I might have to try the medium spacers you mentioned. That's another odd observation with this kit. Seems as though every other bag has aluminum spacers in it. :lol: Only place I recall them being used was with the rear camber link-to-bulkhead and on the steering rack stand-offs. The shorter ones go with the steering rack IIRC and the longer ones went with the rear camber links. There must be at least 4 or 5 pairs of these aluminum spacers scattered throughout the kit. :lol:

Matter of fact, I've been wondering why there were spacers in this bag:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Traxxas-Rear-Battery-Box-Connector-for-LS-II-SRT-TRX-3-/171088367570?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d5a94fd2

My kit has the exact same sealed bag in it, but I don't know why the spacers are in there. There is no mention of them in that part of the manual, nor have I ever seen them used with that piece on any vehicle.

As for the gear cover, I tried another one I had and the same thing. After messing with it a little, it appears that just the heads of the out drive set screws are rubbing. Maybe they just need to be tightened down a hair more, but I don't want to over tighten them and risk stripping the plastic yokes. Perhaps I just need slightly shorter set screws.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Very nice build so far harry. 8) Makes me realize how lucky I am to have one of these very rare trucks!

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

This explains why Traxxas stopped selling kits.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

85Edinger wrote:This explains why Traxxas stopped selling kits.

:lol: That's a good possibility! :lol:

Last new kit I built was the Blue Eagle back around 1990 and I didn't have any problems like this. :roll:

Hopefully I'll have a chance to do more assembly this weekend!

3trxvintage wrote:Very nice build so far harry. 8) Makes me realize how lucky I am to have one of these very rare trucks!
Thanks! Although the LS-II was never my favorite truck, it does seem to be one of the rarer Traxxas trucks. Seems like it was a very limited run between the LS and the release of the SRT.

I picked up a well used LS-II back in 2008. It was the first electric r/c I had owned in years after taking a long break from the hobby. The brushless revolution had a lot to do with my return to the hobby. Did a rebuild on the truck and threw in a VXL system. That truck was lots of fun, but fell way short on performance compared to the SRT I bought soon after. I still think it's a cool truck and the fact that you see so few of them nowadays compared to the Blue Eagle and SRT makes it even a cooler find IMO.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Made some more progress this week. Happy to report that the rest of this build has gone much smoother than the first part. Hope to get some pics up tonight, but Daytona Supercross is about to start, so it may have to wait til tomorrow. 8)

BMKTW2
Approved Member

Post by BMKTW2 »

harry697 wrote:Made some more progress this week. Happy to report that the rest of this build has gone much smoother than the first part. Hope to get some pics up tonight, but Daytona Supercross is about to start, so it may have to wait til tomorrow. 8)
pix? :?:

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Made some progress tonight. Should I revive this thread? 8)

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Since I dug up a 2+ year old thread, I should at least give you guys something. Here is what it looked like when it went back in storage in 2014.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

And here is what brought it out of storage finally. Found a good deal on front and rear shocks (missing from kit). Also picked up a set of blue caps. Kit springs were still sealed in the box and I just so happened to have all new white shock hardware.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Those shocks look smooth.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Thanks! The anodizing is slightly darker on the bodies and caps than the originals, but they're all the correct parts. It really helps that I have all new white hardware to go with them.

I got the shocks almost installed. Apparently, I used all my inventory of 3mm flange and lock nuts on other projects. More are on the way.

Looks like everything is there to finally complete the build except for a pair of steering links. I could swear I bought them when I purchased all the camber links. Oh well, shouldn't be more than a few bucks for another pair if I can't find them here.

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

You gotta get some graphite shock towers or something. Woven would keep in line with the original Eagle towers, I wonder if FybreLyte has the front tower? They have the rear. Just an Idea, this truck is sweet. Yeah I hear you with the shocks. The older blue was more turquoisy blue and the hard anno was a lighter gray.

Glad to have you back in the mix.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

TRX-1-3 wrote:You gotta get some graphite shock towers or something. Woven would keep in line with the original Eagle towers, I wonder if FybreLyte has the front tower? They have the rear. Just an Idea, this truck is sweet. Yeah I hear you with the shocks. The older blue was more turquoisy blue and the hard anno was a lighter gray.

Glad to have you back in the mix.
Thanks! Hopefully now that winter is coming and it's dark outside by the time I leave work, hopefully I'll be able to spend more time with these little indoor projects.

I do have a pair of graphite LS towers. Think I'll keep this truck original since it's a box build. 8)

Think I figured out why the steering links are missing. Just looked in the manual today and the part number is listed as 2324. Searched the Internet and no sign of that part number. Maybe it's a mis-print? Should be easy enough to figure out once I get home and have a few minutes to research. Plenty of free time at work today, but horrible Internet service. :lol:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

is the steering the same as bullet? I think it might be.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Bell cranks are similar geometry. Front arms are much longer than bullet. Bell cranks are actually same as srt and trx-3.

Can most likely use a pair of camber links as a substitute if need be. I'm still thinking it's a bad part number though.