TRX1: my 2015 project

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

peuge73
Approved Member

Re: TRX1: my 2015 project

Post by peuge73 »

My decision is not done today, and I see that using the truck tranny will not be easy, with certiainly some specific prototype part(s) to manufacture. But it would be a great story.
The actual issue for TRX1 is that my trans case is used and my trans plate is also bent and blue is quite gone.

I have a great eagle LS runner quite modernized I am very satisfied with, and I have also enought parts to built an other nice one.

As you see, the time is not the priority on this project. the only target is to have a nice runner buggy from Traxxas.

Anyway, I made some small progress today on the rear side:
Battery cups and rear bulhead from another car purchased for parts. The rest is new. Fiberlyte shock mount, +1° arm mount, 1,5° caster shim.

Missing the shocks, a tranny, wheels, body and electronics.
local club president, but also family team manager - mecanic - official sponsor, and some times cruising my RC cars......YES!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.bmvrc.com/

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

Shock work today. I'm not so proud of it, as I did not rebuilt it. Only out of the dirt, new collars and cups, new balls, and springs out of an eagle car. I will know more in a few days about the leakage...

Not top level work so, but happy to see it going on. May be I will come back on the shocks lately.
local club president, but also family team manager - mecanic - official sponsor, and some times cruising my RC cars......YES!!!!!!!!!!

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

TRX-1-3, you have a PM...

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

peuge73 wrote:TRX-1-3, you have a PM...
Thx to this great guy, I have recieved parts to improve my built:
These trans case in black and motor plate are a little bit reworked,but for me they are bettter than my old white dirty and undyeable case, and my more used motor plate.
I am surprised regarding the metal plate, it seems to have some differences from my original blue one:
If someone have any information about that...

No problem for me, I go on building my car:
Notice that metal diff outdrives are very shiny!!!
still got the A&L clutch, but I spent a little time to realise this item were US style screws.

And now with some pink power on it:

It starts to be good!

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Hugues,

Looking good. The TRX3 trans lashes right up to the TRX1 chassis. Glad it's working out. Keep us posted.

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

Got an issue with the front wheel axles: the diameter is not OK on the whole length, so the bearings cannot be assembled correctly on the new parts.
I don't think that it is usefull to make a complain to Traxxas for a 20 years old part...
Anyway, I took one good part from an old stock. I allow me to go on with new rims and tires.

- Wooooow, it looks like a car!
- Yes, you are right: it's got wheels on !

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

peuge73 wrote:Got an issue with the front wheel axles: the diameter is not OK on the whole length, so the bearings cannot be assembled correctly on the new parts.
I don't think that it is usefull to make a complain to Traxxas for a 20 years old part...
Anyway, I took one good part from an old stock. I allow me to go on with new rims and tires.

- Wooooow, it looks like a car!
- Yes, you are right: it's got wheels on !
Hugues,

I have noticed the front axle issue that you have. Just past the axle threads, where the outer bearing sits, there are tooling streaks / shallow gouging that reduces the diameter of the axle there. This leads to the front wheel wobble and is really annoying. I get around this by using (if they are not damaged or worn badly) the older front axles. They are machined correctly. I do not know when the faulty axle production started or stopped or if it continues........Another option I was thinking about was using (finding first) some Traxxas Nitro Buggy axles. I think the only difference is they are steel. Maybe the steel axles are machined correctly.

Or converting to Bandit hubs/axles.

Looking good.

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

TRX-1-3 wrote: I have noticed the front axle issue that you have. Just past the axle threads, where the outer bearing sits, there are tooling streaks / shallow gouging that reduces the diameter of the axle there. This leads to the front wheel wobble and is really annoying. I get around this by using (if they are not damaged or worn badly) the older front axles. They are machined correctly. I do not know when the faulty axle production started or stopped or if it continues........Another option I was thinking about was using (finding first) some Traxxas Nitro Buggy axles. I think the only difference is they are steel. Maybe the steel axles are machined correctly.
Exactly, it is a machining issue out of the box. As I told, I have taken used parts to fit well.
I would ask people at my job if they are able to rework the new parts.
I have also parts from nitro rustler, but did not succeed to put the axle out of the plastic part, may be they are overmoulded ?
anyway, everything is fine about this on the car now. Just have to think about for spares (I always like to have spares eeven for vintage).

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Very nice.

Ne le vends pas :wink:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

Je sais que tu as raison. Il roulera cette année, Paul, mais la crise de foi n'est jamais très loin et il faut être fort...

Some pleasure this eevening adjusting the wing.
I kept it unpainted, with repro labels that an old friend done for me, he is a professional.

I have to look for what TBG can do for me...

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

peuge73 wrote:Shock work today. I'm not so proud of it, as I did not rebuilt it. Only out of the dirt, new collars and cups, new balls, and springs out of an eagle car. I will know more in a few days about the leakage...

I keep coming back to these shock pics and finally had to ask: What's with the O-rings sitting there on the shock shafts, outside the shock bodies? :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

used as up stop cushions. At full compression, it prevents the piston or lower rod end/cup from hammering the cap(piston) or shock seal(rod end/cup).

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

jwscab wrote:used as up stop cushions. At full compression, it prevents the piston or lower rod end/cup from hammering the cap(piston) or shock seal(rod end/cup).
Shock bumpers...that's what I was thinking. With my cars, the chassis bottoms out before the shocks reach full compression.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

You could still bottom the shock above where the chassis lays due to ruts and uneven surface. However nowadays you will not likely see that type of surface haha.

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

the external o-ring is shown on the manual. I usually see this on old shocks where the seals are put by the outside: Traxxas, schumacher top cat / cougar 1, etc.
Nowadays, the rod end is facing the metal side of the body shock, not the sealing hardware.