TCP ARMS,WHEELS AND KNUCKLES

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

OSR
Approved Member

TCP ARMS,WHEELS AND KNUCKLES

Post by OSR »

LONG FRONT ARMS...ACTUAL vs. BOX ART. The box art,black,long arms appear to have slot machined in them. I recently purchased a TCP that had what I believed to be short front arms that were dyed black. The car also came with a set of white,short arms that were new in package. I searched all over the web for pictures of TCP long front arms like the ones one the TCP box......never found any! So I decided to compare the black arms that are on my car with the new white arms......to my surprise the black ones are longer, and have more material out at the caster block opening
atcpp (3).JPG
. So my question is do I have a car with the long front arms, and were the ones on the box prototypes that were changed to the ones included in the kit

OSR
Approved Member

Re: TCP ARMS,WHEELS AND KNUCKLES

Post by OSR »

another pic
atcpp (2).JPG
atcpp (2).JPG

OSR
Approved Member

Post by OSR »

People also claim that there are 2.2 front wheels with a TCP kit. The parts list has several wheels listed .....none of which are 2.2 fronts!? My final question is which steering knuckles does a TCP manual tell you to use with the short arms , and which with the long. The TCP parts list has the original trx1 knuckles think 2737 white, and it also has the black ones listed that came with the SRT. Any help clearing these thing s up would be appreciated
atcpp (1).JPG

OSR
Approved Member

Post by OSR »

Anybody??

OSR
Approved Member

Post by OSR »

anyone?

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

bueller.......bueller........bueller :mrgreen:

gonna have to give these guys some time. There are a few traxxas fans that can pry answer your questions but they don't drop in everyday. Combine that with the slow time of year for vintage with the nice weather and start of getting into the racing season it sometimes gets kinda slow around the traxxas section here.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

The TRX-3 runs the short arms and the 27 series knuckles. Not sure if the short arms got longer or what but the long arms are "skeletonized" I've only seen photo copies of scans from pictures of pictures of them though. As far as the wheels go.....I thought the TCP came with 2.2 rears as an option but the fronts have always been 2.1.

I would love to see a documented unboxing of a NIB TCP.

Absolutely no help! You're welcome,

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

OSR
Approved Member

Post by OSR »

Since I have the trx-3 arms a.k.a. "short", and also have a pair of black ones that are longer, I suspect that I have the long arms. They are definetly not SRT arms, already compared them to those. I think the ones on the box are prototypes.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Since this thread started I've gone thru some of my stuff I've accumulated over the years and have found one white arm that I would assume be the same as your white arms dyed black. Side by side comparison to the trx3 arms look to be approx. the same differences in length. Looks to have a few scratches on it but would almost guarantee that they were replaced with the stock trx3 arms when they broke one side since I don't have any others the same size sitting on the shelf.

I doubt prototypes but never know.

and to quote from above...
TRX-1-3 wrote:Absolutely no help! You're welcome,
Todd

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Not sure if the short arms got longer or what but the long arms are "skeletonized" I've only seen photo copies of scans from pictures of pictures of them though.
I'm not gonna be much help here, but here is an old pic of my runner with the optional "long" arms:

They were solid like the short arms. Only way I could tell the difference was to set them side by side to see which was longer. Found those arms on ebay when I was building the buggy. I recall them being listed for several months. After I bought them, I never saw another pair since.

IIRC, the casters and knuckles were SRT. Not 100% sure about that, but seems right.

Emaxx2.0
Approved Member

Post by Emaxx2.0 »

I luckily can help you out. I own a running TCP and a NIB TCP. There was never a 2.2 front wheel option by traxxas. I believe the Bandit received the 2.2 later on(they do not share the same wheels as the TCP). The A-arms you have are legit. The white (also available in black) ones are the original shorter TRX3 arms and the black ones are the longer TCP arms and come in the kit as a solid design (I believe the box art designs were prototypes). The TCP came with 2 different size front shocks. The shorter shocks were for the shorter arms and the longer shocks were for the longer arms. You can use the long shocks with the shorter arms but in the manual it stated should be used by experienced racers only. Last but not least . The TRX3 and TCP came were different types of steering knuckles. The TRX3 version had a option to adjust the the axle height but were uses with the shorter arms. The TCP version are the same ones used on the SRT and did not have a option to adjust the axle height (same setting as the TRX3 middle option) and are used with the longer arms without using a longer length turnbuckle. Steering turn is about the same and you can use either setup on both arms as long as use have the right length turnbuckle. The nicest setup is the long arms with long shocks and trx3 steering knuckles. Hope this helps answer your questions!
Traxxas SRT and TCP. Keeping a dying breed alive.

OSR
Approved Member

Post by OSR »

Emaxx2.0 wrote:I luckily can help you out. I own a running TCP and a NIB TCP. There was never a 2.2 front wheel option by traxxas. I believe the Bandit received the 2.2 later on(they do not share the same wheels as the TCP). The A-arms you have are legit. The white (also available in black) ones are the original shorter TRX3 arms and the black ones are the longer TCP arms and come in the kit as a solid design (I believe the box art designs were prototypes). The TCP came with 2 different size front shocks. The shorter shocks were for the shorter arms and the longer shocks were for the longer arms. You can use the long shocks with the shorter arms but in the manual it stated should be used by experienced racers only. Last but not least . The TRX3 and TCP came were different types of steering knuckles. The TRX3 version had a option to adjust the the axle height but were uses with the shorter arms. The TCP version are the same ones used on the SRT and did not have a option to adjust the axle height (same setting as the TRX3 middle option) and are used with the longer arms without using a longer length turnbuckle. Steering turn is about the same and you can use either setup on both arms as long as use have the right length turnbuckle. The nicest setup is the long arms with long shocks and trx3 steering knuckles. Hope this helps answer your questions!
Thank you very much. I that NIB TCP ever gets in your way I'll take her off your hands.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

OSR wrote:I that NIB TCP ever gets in your way I'll take her off your hands.
:lol: you'll have to get to the back of the line for that one...and I have a feeling that the line won't be moving :lol:

Todd