A bit off topic but Slash 2wd for a friends kid

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

A bit off topic but Slash 2wd for a friends kid

Post by RC10th »

As said in another post I'm going to be building up a 2wd LCG slash for a friends kid. He cracked a dummy last week as it's starting to fall apart due to lack of maintenance over the last 4 years. He must have had a good run as he's worn out the pinion gear. I'm going to sit down with him for a couple of hours and show him how to build, fix and maintain his slash. He should have a pretty tidy and decent truck that he can play with and possibly race if he desires.

He will be getting an LCG conversion, big bore shock set, and some new electronics. I'll be donating an old Spektrum radio, receiver, and a good 10.5T motor so a better ESC can be purchased for him (Hobbywing sensored V2.1 120a).

Those familiar with Traxxas what is a good shock oil to start out with? I think the big bores come standard with 30wt oil, I used 35/30 in my stock slash and thought it still felt too light. What is a good known combination as I don't have the time to completely test and tune his truck?

I've read up a lot about filling the diff with 50k -300, but that they aren't sealed diffs. I want to build the truck and have it last a while even if he doesn't maintain it, fill it with heavy grease instead for reliability? Nothing would be worse then giving it to him, him using it a few times and having oil seeping out the tranny case (as I've seen with many gear diff vehicles)

He should be happy with it when done, a massive improvement over his stock worn out Slash with hobbyking radio.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

mAdMan

Re: A bit off topic but Slash 2wd LCG set up advice ?

Post by mAdMan »

For a kid to bash the LCG kit might not be a good upgrade. If he is looking to race it in a 10.5 class then I think it's a good start with the chassis and shocks. My slash was 4WD but I think I can help. I've adjusted the shock weights down a tad because the 4x4 is much front end and overall heavier.

Bash: Stiff springs, 50wt rear/40wt front in stock shocks, 40wt rear/30wt front in big bores, aluminum chassis and arms, proline beadlocks, proline 2.2x3.0 badlands, set shocks: l l more vertical for jumping. Let it sail!

Race: medium(ish) springs, 35wt rear/30wt front stock shocks, 30wt rear/30 front big bores, LCG chassis, carbon parts, light light light, drill the body, add an underbody lexan sheet, set shocks: /-\ in more for handling.

Good luck! 2WD Slash's are pretty crude I'm sure you can dial it in for him. 8)

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Thanks for the tips. I think the LCG chassis will be good for him as the stock slash is pretty tippy and unstable. At least it will handle and drive better, he's not into doing massive jumps (probably due to fear of breaking it)

His electronics are all ready to go, just waiting on his parts to arrive.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I have a what used to be a 4x4 Ultimate Slash, which has so many aftermarket parts on it that it's maybe 30% Slash now.

Anyways, I used to run 40 wt oil, but went down to 30wt not long ago. Handles much better. I have the big bore GTR shocks.

The LCG chassis will make a heck of a difference. I have mine so it sits with the a-arms parallel to the table.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I finally tore into this truck, finding the time to meet up was difficult so his mother just dropped it off to me. I was hoping to sit down with the kid and tear it apart together so I could show him what to look out for and how to maintain it. Also, I was also hoping that if he was involved he'd see the time and effort that went into it and respect it a bit more. Hopefully he doesn't just trash it. So far I've spent an hour tearing it to pieces and 2 hours cleaning said pieces, oiling bearings, straightening hinge pins etc getting it ready for assembly. I'm estimating assembly will take a couple of hours too.

With all the upgrades he's getting the only let down will be the fairly worn stock tires. I thought about getting him a new set of performance tires and some wide offset rims. I don't really want to outlay for a full set of tires out of my pocket, so I may just get him wide offset rims. Then he or his mom can decide if they want to outlay for tires.