Tamiya King Cab with Stealth transmission conversion

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderator: shodog

durb69
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: tamiya king cab

Tamiya King Cab with Stealth transmission conversion

Post by durb69 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Ok So I've been on the site for a long time but have never posted anything about my King Cabs. I have a few of them. I recently got sick of the diff slipping constantly on my sons truck so I went for it and made some custom parts for it so I could run a AE stealth trans in it instead. I must say it has been awesome! My son and I have beat the crud out of this thing and it just keeps on ripping! I'm going to include some pictures and a Youtube video of it. I hope you enjoy them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4LEMik2Uc

Headling
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Tamiya Monster Beetle

Re: Tamiya King Cab with Stealth transmission conversion

Post by Headling » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Great idea!! Now to find me a king cab, always wanted one since I was a kid
If in doubt go flat out!

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Post by tamiyadan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 pm

nice :)

the stock trans was always the weakest link on the king cab. this was because they took the original madcap design which was marginal at best
and turned it into a truck. for the astute(hi end madcap) it was so bad tamiya came out with the TTC, but that hopup was impossible to find so everyone beefed up the trans using Thorp internals and external braces.

the amount of times a king cab or a hilux had a diff gear melt down at the track(before stadium truck class) was always.

Wahrsuul
What was your first real rc car?: Tamya Hornet

Post by Wahrsuul » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Huh, can't say as I've ever had a problem with mine, but then it's been run maybe a dozen times or so in it's life. Whats the big fiberglass plate for?

durb69
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: tamiya king cab

Post by durb69 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:02 pm

I kept having to adjust the diff because it would keep coming loose. I am also running a 13.5 brushless novak setup in the truck. The Stealth upgrade really made this thing come alive! The fiberglass plate replaces the lower rear plate of the truck. This is the only option to make a stealth trans fit. All new mounting holes for everything. With this setup the wheel base had to be changed so that you could use the stock dog bones and to allow clearance for the transmission. The tires now sit slightly further back and are moved inwards slightly.

sandbar782
What was your first real rc car?: Grasshopper 2

Post by sandbar782 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

Awesome conversation/upgrade Derrick! Huge improvement.

Lowgear
Site Admin
What was your first real rc car?: Kyosho Nitro Thrasher

Post by Lowgear » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 am

Eight years ago I figured out that a Stealth trans could fit right in place of the King Cab/Hi-Lux stock trans with very little modification. I've touched on the subject here before if I recall. All you have to do to mount a Stealth yourself are three things. Attach it to the stock chassis plate by making a very simple adapter plate, and trim some of the Stealth's motor mount, and it slides right in like it was made for it. Then you have to fabricate another simple piece to connect the top of the Stealth to the bottom of the stock chassis for support, and that's it. I planned on eventually releasing my own kit called something like the 'King Cab STC' for Stealth Trans Conversion. Unfortunately between having zero means at the time to design and manufacture kits, and life getting in the way, it never happened. I still even have the truck I was using for development.

I'm glad you realized this was possible yourself, and were able to act on it. I'm sure all the kits you produce will sell like hot cakes as this fixes the Achilles heel of these trucks!

Return to “Tamiya Forum”