Sassy Chassis Tamiya KingCab "Complete 03/18/12"

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nvxwax
Approved Member

Sassy Chassis Tamiya KingCab "Complete 03/18/12"

Post by nvxwax »

Ok i just got this from the bay... I think it was a good price... Question is? Is it a Tamiya KingCab, It looks like one with a sassy chassy. Also does the wheel look like aluminum (tarnished) or plastic? Im hoping aloy tarnished, by the looks of the shocks its been in a moist place lol.

Thanks, Ill know more when it arrives :)

Finished restore :)

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya KingCab ? I think

Post by Incredible_Serious »

I was a little sceptical, looking at the arms..... but looking at the manual, they look like stock arms, just chromed. The chassis does indeed look professional, maybe a Sassy or similar.... doesn't look like a lot of standard parts on there, considering the chassis, arms, shocks, and wheels..... could be a (tarnished) nice pickup!

Look forward to seeing pics once it arrives....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Yes it's a king cab for sure. I use to have a set of purple chromed wheels like those so I'm sorry but it looks plastic to me... I hope for you I'm wrong.

Let me know if you need parts for this one I have quite a bit of NIB ones that fit this truck I think...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I don't know what you paid for it but if I saw it you would of had some bidding competition. Very nice score indeed. :)

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Thanks guys, I found a King Cab on the TC site that has sees alloy wheels, they look a lot like the wheels on this truck, I will keep my fingers crossed lol, even if they are not alloy i still think i did ok,

TC King Cab
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=8738&id=1145

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

very interesting - how did he get the arms "chromed"? Can you please post some kind of assessement when you have your hands on it? Thanks!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

The arms are CCP brand.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Lowgear wrote:The arms are CCP brand.

oh - are the arms alloy then??? CCP only works on metal afaik.... assuming we talk about that Ohio company that does chroming for full-size cars :)

thanks!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Lonestar wrote:

oh - are the arms alloy then??? CCP only works on metal afaik.... assuming we talk about that Ohio company that does chroming for full-size cars :)

thanks!

Paul
Plastic can be plated, Not sure who does it but it is done,

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Wow, that is one awesome King Cab! It almost looks like it could be a project truck from RCCA back in the day. It's totally loaded! I'm gonna say those are alloy wheels, specifically Sees wheels. They should clean up very nicely.

Lowgear is right, those arms are likely CCP arms. That was pretty much their whole business, taking stock Tamiya parts and chrome plating them and then reselling them as CCP parts. I'm pretty sure the company is long out of business, unless they moved on to non-r/c stuff.

I love that body. Heck, I love everything about that truck. I hope you don't change a thing on it. Just clean it up and you'll have one of the baddest King Cabs ever.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

nvxwax wrote:
Lonestar wrote:

thanks!

Paul
Plastic can be plated, Not sure who does it but it is done,
Exactly, plastic is plated all the time. Chrome & gold-plated plastic is everywhere, not to mention color-chrome-plated plastic. The temperature range of the chrome bath solution is around 45 to 50 degrees Celsius (113 - 122 * F) so that's not hot enough to melt the plastic, it's not even close to boiling temperature.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Wow, that is one awesome King Cab! It almost looks like it could be a project truck from RCCA back in the day. It's totally loaded! I'm gonna say those are alloy wheels, specifically Sees wheels. They should clean up very nicely.

Lowgear is right, those arms are likely CCP arms. That was pretty much their whole business, taking stock Tamiya parts and chrome plating them and then reselling them as CCP parts. I'm pretty sure the company is long out of business, unless they moved on to non-r/c stuff.

I love that body. Heck, I love everything about that truck. I hope you don't change a thing on it. Just clean it up and you'll have one of the baddest King Cabs ever.
Thanks, No plans of changing a thing other then maybe the shock springs (Not sure if that much rust will come off lol) I plan on cleaning it up and blocking it up on the shelf.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

What, you don't want to og rust? :lol:

Seriously though, yeah, some new springs, maybe a couple new screws if it needs them, some new shock oil, some Nevr-Dull and elbow grease on those wheels and that thing is gonna be ridiculous. I keep coming back to look at the photos, that truck is a totally loaded time capsule. One of the best finds I've seen in quite a while. Congrats! 8)

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

I have been racking my brain to figure out what brand shocks are on it, i thought kyosho or duratrax at first but the lower cartridges don't resemble anything that i know of.

The wait is going to kill me lol

nvxwax
Approved Member

Re: Sassy Chassis Tamiya KingCab

Post by nvxwax »

Well Got the truck today,

The wheels are aluminum Sees units :mrgreen: They need a lot of cleaning but their was no damage or road rash on them :)

The body is a Candy apple red color, looks to be a candy red backed with gold, All the details are painted with the exception of the trim around the windows. The back right corner has a tare in the body, The only decals on the body are the Nissan logo and the small decals stating "Custom painted by Motion Graphics" so i did what anybody else would do and clicked open a google window :mrgreen: I found this info
Motion Graphics - Richard Muise is the great grand daddy of R/C painting and the first to prove painting R/C car bodies is a full time legitimate business. It's no wonder too, if you look through the many pages of his gallery, you'll find body after body that have appeared in R/C car magazines and paint company ads through his 14 years in the business. In fact, many of the R/C paint styles popular not only today but through out the years were invented by Richard.
Now i cant say this is one of his painted body's but the detail is amazing. Maybe someone on here knows a little more or were to look or ask.

The truck is in really good shape, It does show some signs of use, all the chrome parts look to be CCP, The chassis is a Sassy, I have never seen shocks like this, im sure someone on here will know what they are.

My plan it to do a complete tare down and rebuild, Im not going to replace anything other than the rusted springs and screws if needed. I hate rebuilding old Tamiya's lol, the plast can get very brittle :cry:

Here are some pics before the rebuild (Notice the spider cocoon near the front shock lol, It has been sitting a long time)