Welcome to the new home of ClodTalk!

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Forum rules
Keep it all things Clod!
m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Re: Bigfoot! Powers Clodbuster

Post by m2fit4u2 »

A USA-1 would be awesome to see and may have some potential in the right hands with the full independent suspension.

I have an old RC magazine that tests both Clodbuster and USA-1 and the USA-1 scored higher than the Clod in the handling and jumping department. This of course is comparing stock for stock, the Powers chassis would be another story; cool none the less :-)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, I bought a USA-1 back in the day because of that article. What a mistake. That truck was junk. The steering setup was garbage, the dog bones were made of plastic, it was just a huge disappointment. I never trusted RCCA after that. I suppose a properly modified USA-1 could hold it's own against a Clod, but I'm not going to be the one to go through the trouble to make it happen.

Puffdogg
Approved Member

Post by Puffdogg »

Nice truck.Looks like a lot of fun.

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

I agree the Clod is a more usable RC right from the kit. the Clod also has steering issues in stock form IMO; it is difficult to make simple adjustments to all the linkages going to the center single servo and the plastic arms attached to the servo savers in each axle break easily along with the anti rotation brackets that have been replaced by aluminum ones on mine. Also a single high torque servo's life is not very long do to all the stress by the all wheel steering setup; I feel Tamiya should have designed the kit using a 1/4 scale servo for improved reliability but I know cost is always a restricting factor. I have scene first hand the dog bone issue, up here in Michigan were parts get brittle during the winter, my friends A-1 would break them all the time. Consequently he ended up selling it because he never found a set of the aluminum ones that are floating around. Either way, I always wanted an A-1 when I was a kid and still do. Unfortunately there was never a big aftermarket scene for the A-1 which makes me less enthused about building one at this time. I am sure you know all about everything I have stated, I just like conversing about the two kits; maybe I should be doing that on Clodtalk and not RC10Talk ? lol

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the usa-1 had potential and the nitro version was a good truck for what it was.
but a modded clod would rip a usa-1 or high roller in half. there's just no contest.

now kyosho does make a sick solid axle, the mad force ve, it's got a 1/8 brushless system in it and is balls fast.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yep, I had a brushless Twin Force and it was awesome. I had to upgrade the diffs to Inferno units and put some beefer drive shafts on it to handle the power of the brushless. i wish I had held on to that truck, it was awesome. I didn't realize Kyosho was selling a brushless version of the Mad Force now, I might have to look into one. That brushless Twin Force was one of the most awesome trucks I've ever owned.

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

Anything can be fast with todays electronics. My twin brushless Powers Clod is too fast IMO and I keep it turned down to 80% on the transmitter for controllability. I still would like to see the A-1's out there with the Clods, to my knowledge it was the Clodbusters only competitor at the time.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

my clod is now ready for the vonats. :twisted:

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I've got a Clod with the Clodzilla II ladder chassis and a homemade 4 link suspension to mimic the Clodzilla setup. I also have the single floating shock kit that compresses the shock from both ends with anti-sway bars mounted front and rear, wheel widening kit and separate servos for the front and rear steering. I've got full ball bearings and twin Venom 4200 brushless motors and 80A ESCs. The truck is fun and has plenty of speed, but really lacks control-ability. I'd love to have that realistic monster truck suspension and keep the 4-wheel steering but I would prefer to have better control over the crazy thing. My Clod would never be competitive as is, even against other Clods. Could anyone offer up some suggestions on where to start or what to add/delete from my current setup? I really like the apparent performance of this Bigfoot Powers Clod! Very impressive. I have never checked out the Clod Talk site before and may end up venturing that way, but RC10Talk covers such a variety that its just so much more appealing!
Attachments
Clodzilla II.jpg
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

get rid of 4 wheel steering. that will help keep it going straight.
get the best servo you can afford, the tougher it is the better it will hold zero.
you can grind off the nubs on the front steering blocks to regain a little more steering.

tighten everything up, the less slop the better.

what pinion? if stock then get mounts and go up to 16tooth. top end will increase but it will be more controlable down low.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

all this mod clod talk makes me think why has tamiya not done a mod clod? txts are cool but the no drive shaft set up of the clod is great

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

kaiser wrote:get rid of 4 wheel steering. that will help keep it going straight.
get the best servo you can afford, the tougher it is the better it will hold zero.
you can grind off the nubs on the front steering blocks to regain a little more steering.

tighten everything up, the less slop the better.

what pinion? if stock then get mounts and go up to 16tooth. top end will increase but it will be more controlable down low.
Thanks for the initial tips. If I can remember correctly, I wore out the stock pinion gears, but replaced them with the same tooth size. I've got everything tight currently, or at least snugged up to minimize slop. I do need to fab my new steering linkages though. There is an ever increasing amount of slop in my original red Tamiya ball ends. I have just been in the mind set of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Any new pics or video of running the Powers chassis Clod? I see you have changed locations MA. Something new in the works at the new place?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

Diamond Dave wrote: I see you have changed locations MA. Something new in the works at the new place?
i just noticed that. is that for real MA? i just can't see you in iowa. lol

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Oh yeah, I'm really in Iowa now. Des Moines, Iowa, the biggest city. I grew up in Dubuque Iowa and went to school at Iowa State. I was out east for 14 years. I was just looking for a little more mellow pace of life, lower cost of living, better quality of life, etc. No regrets so far.

No new videos yet. I've had it out running, but I need to adjust the rear end, the pinion is too tight on the spur I believe, it's making a heck of a racket back there. Nothing new in the works yet, just trying to get the truck running its best. I added a Novak Lipo alarm thingy to my Super Rooster so I don't accidentally light the truck on fire. :idea: :lol:

I'm am debating whether or not I should pull the JPS gear boxes off my Boyer tuber and put them on the Powers chassis and have an "indestructible" Clod basher. I'm not sure if I should or not, in case it is destructible, that would be a nasty and expensive break if something did give. At least with the plastic gear boxes, if something breaks it's cheap and sort of easy to replace. One advantage the JPS boxes have is, with that bumper mounted servo, that truck steers considerably better. Maybe I'll just get the Powers a new bumper and call it a day.