Tamiya 801XT build plus electric conversion

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya 801XT build plus electric conversion

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, the arms sold very quickly on flea bay. I'll keep the community here posted if I decide to mill more or possibly even contract a few sets to be CNC'd by a local guy.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

nuts! just missed this thread, i got xray arms but im stuck finding driveshafts to fit the shorter length, make more arms!!! hundred dollar kit, plus hundred dollar front arms = best deal on a bullet proof race kit....

still shocked on how long this truck has been out and people are still into it

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

make more arms!!!
I probably will at some point, but it's a huge pain. I'm working a deal on a bigger & better machine; as of right now, everything is coming off of this:

It's just slow going with these smaller machines.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

i always envy you guys with the space to have a real garage!... ive entertained the idea of a small press and table in my apt but mill chips flying everywhere only to be found in the form of a splinter would get me nights on the sofa for sure... patience i guess, as i hope to become one of the suburbanites with space...house hunting sucks!! you can fix / build anything with a small mill, a lathe, bench grinder and a vice!!! well, than theres the welder, tube bender, sheetmetal break... wait, im sorry this is a rc car forum!

i ordered some st-rr universals that are 3mm shorter than the short arm driveshafts, hoping that the xray xt8 arms and the kyosho shafts wont leave the bone at the end of the diff...the guy who used the xray arms said the tamiya short shafts were a bit long, so in theory, this might be the perfect combo... waiting on theoretical parts is the worst, "will it fit???? did i just waste that much cash???" fingers crossed

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

you can fix / build anything with a small mill, a lathe, bench grinder and a vice!!! well, than theres the welder, tube bender, sheetmetal break
Here, here! Can never have too many tools

Rest of the work bench:

And the whole garage:

250 amp 100% duty cycle MIG, 50 amp plasma cutter, 200 amp TIG/Arc, Oxy-Acetylene torch, 20 ton press, among many other things, some of which aren't visible. I really need a bigger shop. 16x36 just ain't enough.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

YES!!!!! that a garage!... well done, nicer than the shop i work at!

the home im looking at has a 24 by 16, two car with a bit of extra and a side door.... when that runs out, ill have 5 other acres to put the "shed" on... haaaaaa!!! my neighbors are gonna love me... wait... what neighbors!!!! woooooooh!!!!

totally off topic from the 801 but obviously your a car guy, you working from home or just a happy place to play with some 1/1 toys?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Nice RACK! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

but seriously....nice shop!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

interesting use of the lift, with the overhead cable crossover up above the sheetrock. Do you work on any pickup trucks on it? I'm on the fence about what kind of lift I want. I'm thinking 4 post so I can roll it outside should I need something full height. Or add to the shop with a 12' ceiling bay. ugh...just $$$$

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I would love to have that Mill, I have everything else. :lol: even a lift and full size paint booth in my shop
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

sdrob
Approved Member

Post by sdrob »

ok then guys so where do i find these kits??? what shops are selling them?? i'm guessing postage to australia will kill it either way...

in terms of the milling machine.. are there any draw backs to a combination lathe milling machine??? looking into a small mini lathe at the moment..

cheers for any advice..

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

totally off topic from the 801 but obviously your a car guy, you working from home or just a happy place to play with some 1/1 toys?
Yeah, I run a business out of the house. Kinda tough sometimes with only one bay, but I've made it work for 4 years now.

interesting use of the lift, with the overhead cable crossover up above the sheetrock. Do you work on any pickup trucks on it? I'm on the fence about what kind of lift I want. I'm thinking 4 post so I can roll it outside should I need something full height. Or add to the shop with a 12' ceiling bay. ugh...just $$$$
It's a floor plate model; the leveling cables run under the diamond plate cover between the towers. They're into the ceiling about an inch is all. As for capacity, I can work on any car or light truck-including crew cab long bed diesels. Limited on height, but I don't mind working on rolly chairs. I did have to build a custom tranny jack for the lower clearance, though.

Worth equipment is the manufacturer, and I highly recommend them. This lift was $2850, it's 9K rated. Nice thing is, if you have thin floors, the tower bases are much larger than other makes'. Turns out my garage pad is 7" thick, but I didn't know that going in.
ok then guys so where do i find these kits??? what shops are selling them?? i'm guessing postage to australia will kill it either way...
TamiyaUSA.com, but I think you have to have a US shipping address to order from them. There are eBay sellers offering them internationally, but they seem to be about $230 shipped to AU. Still a good deal, though.
are there any draw backs to a combination lathe milling machine??? looking into a small mini lathe at the moment..
As with any combination machine, you give up a little versus dedicated machines. But if limited on space and/or funds, they're a good option. One nice thing about them, though, is you can run the lathe at low speed under a milling cutter just as you would a rotary table; can be nice for certain things, like model engine crankshafts. Of course, a powered indexable rotary table on a dedicated mill is better still.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

that's good to know about the foot size. It's hard to see the plates in the photo. we have a 9k lift at my parents shop, that bay has a 12' ceiling, so I'm spoiled by that. want to get something similar at my shop, but I'm stuck with a 8ft ceiling at the moment.

Brocklee
Approved Member

Post by Brocklee »

Awesome build, thanks to this thread I ended up getting one of these, it's my first truggy but not my first nitro. So far in the build it all seems to be pretty decent quality, I haven't had any problems stripping out screws yet but the screw head socket is shallow and if you had a loose fitting tool I could see how it would strip easily.
Cars: kyosho raider, rc10 ce, kyosho ultima pro xl, lazer zx, inferno mp s, losi xxt, xx4we, rc10t3, kyosho zx5 sp, rb6, zx6, rb7ss, zx7, mp10e, crc xl, rc18r, tamiya trf 801xt.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

so i stumbled on a combo of front end parts that require no real modifications, (no hogging out parts) and uses the STOCK long driveshafts...

i bought a 801 buggy roller for some choice parts a while back and decided to run the rear tower and shocks up front, i bought some st-rr universals, they fit, needed dremeling of the c-hubs (i was trying to use the buggy knuckles) and at full suspension compression the dogbone end would pop out of the diff... this is trying to use the xray truggy arms

pissed i spent 70 something dollars on driveshafts that didnt fit, i decided to look for other hubs and knuckles... on a whim, i was thinking if i used kyosho pieces, they would offset the Universals and would give the correct spacing into the outdrives... i got a complete set of what i think are MP9 readyset hubs, complete front and rear, bearings, and all hardware... studying the hubs in hand, they seemed exactly the same, minus a few camber placements and no second hingepin hole... you can adjust the caster in the kyosho hubs via a spacer that was included... so with no real scientific method it just looked like the hubs kicked out the wheelbase enough, threw in the kit cvd in and voila...
frontarm.jpg
the arms arent too expensive and pretty beefy (you need the xray caster bushings too), combined with the kyosho hubs, is a near no modification fit, i drilled the xray bushings so i could use the stock threaded hingepin, or just get the xray captured pins, you might want to file the back of the arm slightly as with the combo of buggy shocks and tower, the knuckle rubs against it at full extension, but still has full lock to lock steering throw, best part, it took all the work out of finding the correct driveshafts!!!!!