Tamiya 801XT build plus electric conversion

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya 801XT build plus electric conversion

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

That being said, I never was a fan of aluminum arms... they seem to cause more problems when the issue is usually driver error. No offence
In general, I agree with you. But it is a necessary upgrade on these trucks. If I had the ability to deal in high strength glass reinforced nylon, I would do that instead. But I do not have $200K+ for the requisite injection molding equipment, so I just have to make do with a little bench top mill.

Also, these are not your usual chinese cast & machined parts or 5,000 & 6000 series CNC bits that bend & break with relative ease. 7075-T6 is the good stuff.

You will quickly find that 2 extra kits worth of arms doesn't last very long if you actually drive the thing. All it takes is one bad landing, you'll break the arms at the forward inner hinge just as I did with a dozen of them. May not be driver error; another kit hits you during take off or in the air, a gust of wind, whatever. Crashes are gonna happen, and broken arms as a result is a known problem area on these trucks.
The E801XT is an animal with 6S battery!
It's an animal on 4S with a 2150KV can & 16T pinion. With a top speed around 45 MPH and the ability to do rolling wheelies even with a center diff, I have not yet felt the need to run 5S or 6S. Similarly, I've no desire to run anything hotter than 20% in the nitro; all it will do is cause more spin-outs. As it is, I'm having to dial it back with restrictors most places I drive it.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

BMKTW2
Approved Member

Post by BMKTW2 »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote: It's an animal on 4S with a 2150KV can & 16T pinion. As it is, I'm having to dial it back with restrictors most places I drive it.
I use a 1550kv motor, 13T pinion with 6S battery and it rox

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Got my rear carriers milled today

Damn drill bits kept walking on me, so the camber link mounting holes are all off by a few thousandths, but oh well. At least there'll be no more of this:

Think I'll hold off on doing the rear arms for now. I will make a brace for rear bulkheads, though.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

WhoKnowsWho
Approved Member

Post by WhoKnowsWho »

So why aren't you selling this stuff?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

So why aren't you selling this stuff?
I don't have CNC capability, so virtually no capacity for production. These parts are done one at a time on a little bench top mill, and each one is ever so slightly different from the next. Those arms take 4-5 hours each. About 2-1/2 hours on each hub carrier, that front bumper was about 3 hours. At the prices this stuff would actually sell for, when you account for material and tooling cost, I'd make less than minimum wage.

You can actually buy alloy rear carriers from Tamiya. I just didn't wanna spend $80 on them when I have everything here to make my own in my down time. And I just like to build stuff.

Oozzee
Approved Member

Post by Oozzee »

The parts and the machine work looks fantastic, good work and great skills
The Dreaded 7 - 10 Split

BMKTW2
Approved Member

Post by BMKTW2 »

Oozzee wrote:The parts and the machine work looks fantastic, good work and great skills
I agree, you do have a great talent there in making parts!
Did you make your own electric conversion kit?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Yeah, did it kinda different, too. Motor mount uses the stock nitro mount points, and is a pretty hefty piece that supports the motor on 3 sides and uses 4 screws. Battery tray I milled from polyethylene, it holds a 4S pack vertically. I just lobbed off the servo mount behind the steering servo.

On my 801X buggy to short course conversion, I did a more conventional motor mount (didn't have another really thick piece of 7075 at the time), but stuck with the same style of battery tray.

It no longer has the Turnigy electronics, though. Now a HW SC8WP ESC with an Excelorin 1700KV motor.

BMKTW2
Approved Member

Post by BMKTW2 »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:

Dang looks thick! Its a tight fit for the grub screw on the gear :P

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Dang looks thick! Its a tight fit for the grub screw on the gear
Yeah, it's 3/8". I don't want to need to replace it. Ever.

Instead, we just saw the top two screws shear off on that Turnigy motor. lol. I pulled it apart, clocked the front plate and drilled/tapped it to 3mm, but that motor is just hanging out now. I don't understand why they'd use just four tiny 1.6mm screws to secure that big ass can to the front plate, but I guess that's why they're cheap. Not a bad running motor, though. The ESC that came in that combo, OTOH, is not suitable for 40mm+ motors. Works great with 540 or shorter 550 cans (70mm or less), but had no punch running the 2100 KV 42mm motor it was paired with.

I did end up milling a small slot to give better access to the set screw; Hex keys kept getting wedged in.

BMKTW2
Approved Member

Post by BMKTW2 »

Got the car running great with all the bugs worked out. Runs flawless. Tons of power! Put the tamiya heavy spring up front.
This project is complete.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, time finally came to replace the body on the etruggy. Went with the Proline D8T Bulldog. Pretty good fit, stuck with the same color scheme. I like it.

BMKTW2
Approved Member

Post by BMKTW2 »

I like the way the factory body conforms to the chassis, it holds the dirt out 8)

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

i just ordered two of these kits, as tamiya usa is just giving them away, anyone have a retrofit for driveshafts for short arms, i got sets of xray d8t arms comming and been hunting to no end for driveshafts to fit... 135mm is the magic number, pin to pin...

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Just a heads up, I decided to mill one more pair of front arms for these truggies, nicest set I've done so far, and I'm selling them. Probably won't do any more, as the profit margin sucks considering that it's about $15 worth of aluminum, they take me 11 or 12 hours/pair with the, and just a couple of broken cutters really takes a bite out of what is already a paltry wage.....

They're on eBay at $114, but if an RC10talk member wants them, I'll do them for $100 shipped either Paypal friends & family, mailed money order, or you can call me and I'll process your card through my business (please do not PM me with card info, violates my PCC compliance agreement to have electronically stored CC info that is not secure). Yes, I know that's a lot for a pair of arms, but as I said, I have a tremendous time investment in these, and unless one already has the set-up to make their own, they'd be a whole lot more than $100 to have custom machined.