Willy's Monster Vette

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Willy's Monster Vette

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Not a lot of time for RC lately, so I wanted something I could sit in the garage with and bash around with so when I saw the hot deal on the Lunchbox, I was on it. Always wanted one so this was right on time. I built it up with full bearings, and some like-new Duratrax gold shocks I've had for almost 20 years. I added the better Tamiya ballcups and dyed the front knuckles black. I had also tried to dye the wheels, (seen it done on TC) but had the heat up to high and melted the rims! I knew this about Tamiya wheels from a past experience but somehow, I lost the wheels. $14 more to Tamiya and I had the black ordered.

I was to this point, about to wet sand the body when I turned around and saw this 1/12 Greenwood Corvette body I got from Mrlexan a couple years ago. I had roughly cut it out, but never did anything with it. I set it on top and I instantly am over the Lunchbox van body I had planned out. Ooohhh... Kyosho Hi Rider Vette crosses my mind then an old 80's Stomper commercial with the Vette comin thru, followed by a Bubbalicious one set in the Wild West... Cause that's what was on durring Saturday cartoons back in the day and that's where this project is taking me.

So then I'm sitting there like, it needs a driver. So I pull out my Willy. He was gonna go in my Kyosho Blizzard but I never got around t it. And he fits just like he should. Like he's in a cartoon.

Remember War Games? Dude had the Tamiya Subaru Brat with the drivers head that would turn when he steered. I always wanted that... Now, I'm bout to do it. Willy's hollow backside is just enough room for a micro servo so Willy's head will be turning when I steer. Still undecided on color but its gonna be a solid color that was seen on a Corvette C3 with a few sponsor decals. This is gonna be sweet.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Re: Willy's Monster Vette

Post by LTO_Dave »

I'm really enjoying this build! It reminds me a lot of the Monster Vette I watched crushing cars as a kid.

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

That is simply awesome. Bravo, good sir!
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Thanks fellas. I'm excited about this one. I've got a matching short Duratrax gold shock for the 5th shock mod going on soon. I also replaced the stock pistons with Kyosho velvet shock pistons. I think the black dyed knuckles look a lot better than the plain nylon.

View from the rear. I'm not going brushless. I have a ton of old school brushed motors I'll be running in this. Gives me a chance to play with my Cobra lathe.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

LTO_Dave wrote:I'm really enjoying this build! It reminds me a lot of the Monster Vette I watched crushing cars as a kid.

thats what i thought of when i saw this.. great build cant wait to see it done

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

The curves go really well with those big wheels. A motor from a toy car sticking out the hood would look good

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Awesome project. I like that you're not going brushless and sticking with an old Monster Horsepower motor!
I've been considering doing a Corvette monster myself.

Anybody remember Kyosho's monster vette?
hirider1.jpg

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Awesome project. I like that you're not going brushless and sticking with an old Monster Horsepower motor!
I've been considering doing a Corvette monster myself.

Anybody remember Kyosho's monster vette?
The attachment hirider1.jpg is no longer available
i like all the old kyosho "big brute" trucks .. i like the ultima trucks more. remember the high rider 2 ? that reminds me i always wanted to get a kyosho tracker and make the body look like the kyosho usa1 , oh well maybe one day...
Attachments
hirider2.jpg

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Futaba micro servo fits easily in Willy's back. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount the head directly to the servo. I was thinking of using a threaded rod to connect the two but Willy's head has a 3M nut inside for a 3M screw but the servo uses a much smaller screw for the horn.

Any suggestions?

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

cool reminds me of this [youtube]hZ6YUMG7Yjs[/youtube] id screw on a 4 point servo piece, the one that looks like a x then glue that to the head.. you will have to gut the body out more and id cut off servo horns

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Yes, I remember those. Might have even had one... Had a bunch of Tycos and Nikkos back in the day.

I thought about gluing the servo horn on. I might try that. Got something else in mind now too...

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Here's an idea.... bear with me, no pictures means you have to use your imagination....

1. Screw a servo horn on to the servo, with enough space either side of the screw hole to mount a pair of screws facing up.
2. Screw a flat plate the same size as the servo horn into Willy's head, with a spacer for Willy's 'neck'.
3. Screw the servo horn to the flat spacer.

Not easy to imagine, but doable.... and similar to how Kyosho do their servo horns for the Raider.

I'm no artist, nor engineer or draftsman..... but this pic will give you the idea...
Willy.JPG
Willy.JPG (10.97 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
Willy.JPG
Willy.JPG (10.97 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

I get exactly what you're saying. That's a excellent idea. The illustration was perfect too, thanks.

pastimesteve
Approved Member

Post by pastimesteve »

Another extremely cool project from you! Great job so far.

Steve

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Thanks fellas.
Slow motion. I've been working on the Vette here and there. I made a heavy-duty strut brace for it. Between the two towers was extremely flimsy. The body has been fitted and painted, will debut soon.