Anyone have a Tamiya King Cab?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

quickltd

Anyone have a Tamiya King Cab?

Post by quickltd »

I have an old King Cab in perfect working condition. I need to rebody it (or make it a project vehicle) and was wondering if anyone has done anything with one of these? It is just used for driving around the yard.

Thank's Dean

cyberfox
Approved Member

Re: Anyone have a Tamiya King Cab?

Post by cyberfox »

Hi,

My english is ... very frenchy :lol: I don't really understand what you want ?

I have a King Cab beeing restored (still only have to remove old paint on a body and repaint it), I loved it in the 90's when I was young ( :mrgreen: ).
The one I'm restoring won't run, I will keep it as new 8)

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

I'm pretty sure Team Blue Groove makes a reproduction body for it (search ebay). And tires are standard 2.2" truck tires still in use today. Wheels from the Tamiya Stadium Blitzer should bolt right on. Other than that, I would suggest keeping the power low. I've heard nothing but horror stories about the diff in that truck, but with a simple 540, it should survive OK.

I missed out on one of these just yesterday on our local Craigslist. Some guy was selling one for $60. Was going to call him this morning, but the listing is gone now. Always liked it, but then I'm a big fan of Nissan pickup trucks, especially the D21 series.

cyberfox
Approved Member

Post by cyberfox »

markbt73 wrote:I'm pretty sure Team Blue Groove makes a reproduction body for it
yes, he makes one, but it's less detailed than Tamiya original body. I got one, but sold it without never using it, it's good for a runner, but not enough detailed for a restored model, to my mind :(

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

everything about that truck is cool except the diff. the diff is a joke so dont run larger then stock tires and dont run anything faster then a stock brushed motor. my friend had one all stock and he got a bunch of runs out of it just using it on a flat yard and street. i had 2 i got used , both had diff issues. as for a body id get the stock copy Blue Groove body. i always find it best to use stock bodies with the kind of body mounts the king cab has.

billetproofcustoms
Approved Member

Post by billetproofcustoms »

I have several of these, i raced one back in 1990, actually won a trophy with it. love those trucks. here is a pic of one of my latest builds using the blue groove body. BG body is ok, but as others have said, its not detailed enough, but it is much stronger than the originals.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I had a mint one missing body only, and sold it to some guy looking for vintage stuff on a local forum. WAY before I was into collecting. I met the guy at a local coffee shop to sell and met Paul (rc10eh) and have been friends ever since.

Kinda miss that truck :lol: :lol:
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

A little history... When the King Cab came out, it was the first dedicated racing truck. Truck racing which started with the Big Bear classes quickly became dominated by Blackfoots when they hit the scene. In a way, the 'foot was the first conversion truck-in-a-box as it originally was a Frog. When JG came out with their RC10 truck conversion, a lot of Blackfoots had trouble keeping up with them. The King Cab was designed from the ground up as a racing truck and proved successful against conversions for a short while. Car Action even listed it in their Top Ten issue. Next Losi came to the party with the JR-XT which was little more than a JR-X2 + truck conversion in one box. It became the truck to run and the King Cab and Hilux Monster Racer sibling faded into the background. Its still a great truck. The diff is dodgy as others mentioned but with that nice long travel suspension, it loves to jump.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

I've got a couple of them. I also have a Toyota Hi-Lux Monster Racer (basically the same kit but with a different body and tires). One of the trucks even has a Sassy Chassis kit on it. They were (and still are) very fun trucks.
Something clever goes here...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

As of this post I have one. I've had it for a few years now. It's the second one I've owned. They are pretty cool and Tamiya's first stadium truck.

Like everyone knows, the Achilles' heel of these trucks is the trans. I've come up with an awesome solution to it but don't have the means to release it as a product. :(

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Lowgear wrote:As of this post I have one. I've had it for a few years now. It's the second one I've owned. They are pretty cool and Tamiya's first stadium truck.

Like everyone knows, the Achilles' heel of these trucks is the trans. I've come up with an awesome solution to it but don't have the means to release it as a product. :(
crazy glue the diff!!!! :lol: :lol: all joking aside if they gave that truck a spool it would be great

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I just picked one up and I am looking for some information about the truck. A friend had it and sold it to me cheap cheap!

Found this thread, (old I know) so I had to post. What can anyone tell me about the King Cab?

The only other Tamiya truck I have is the Clodbuster, so I am not to familiar with with Tamiya stadium trucks or Tamiya for that matter.

Wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by Wahrsuul »

I've still got mine. I have the original unpainted body too. I didn't think I could paint it well enough at the time, so I picked up a stadium truck body for it. Never raced it, heck I hardly ran it around the yard. It's on the short list to go when I start thinning the herd.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I thank you both for the info, I don't think I will run this as I have many other Stadium trucks that get used.

I think a good cleaning and to make sure all the parts are there. I have the original body and tires on it. The decals and paint on it are very poor.

The tires are long spikes and I doubt they have been run.