Opinions wanted on Blackfoot Extreme

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hondaman
Approved Member

Re: Opinions wanted on Blackfoot Extreme

Post by hondaman »

Looking good.. Body looks like a nice blank canvas..

Shawn

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

justinspeed79 wrote:I'm not sure what I am going to do to the chassis. I will probably just start with basic mods for now, and see where it goes. At first I wanted to do everything, but then the initial excitement passed and now I am thinking i don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Will definitely get bearings and better shocks, and I am going to have to do something about the battery compartment to make my batteries fit.
Shocks alone will make a huge difference...I put some buggy shocks on mine and it really helped...Friction dampers should be outlawed...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I finally made up my mind on the direction I wanted to go with this, and I had some down time at work yesterday, so I got started on my chassis. Still a lot of work to do, but it's a good start.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Ooooooo... I like where this is heading.. The chassis looks like a great start.. Polished up would look great along with some poloshed suspension parts would set it off.. looking forward to seeing this build..

Shawn

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That looks like some thick, heavy aluminum there...are you planning on cutting out sections, ladder-style, to cut down weight? Something along the lines of how an AYK Radiant aluminum frame looks, for example...

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

The chassis will have a lot of material cut out eventually. That's why I went with the heavier aluminum, so I could cut more out. I just want to get it all setup before I decide what to cut out. And it will be polished. 8)

I'm building it as a two wheel drive for now, but it will be four wheel drive ready, which means room for two big Lipos. Eventually when I get the parts I will do the four wheel drive conversion. For now it will stay mostly stock, but when money allows I would like to get some of those nice aluminum parts for it.

Going to start working on the shock setup now. I extended the ends of the chassis so I can mount the tops of the shocks to a small bracket (yet to be made) on the chassis plate. I completely eliminated the shock towers.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Found my center plate and battery trays.

Decided against the idea of mounting the shocks directly to the chassis. It probably would have been fine that way, but I decided I wanted longer shocks, so now I need to make some new shock towers too.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Well, was going to hold of on this, but....

My buddy came over last night asking me about buying one of my RC's for a Christmas present for his son. We struck a deal on one of my 10T's and he bought it. So, unexpected disposable income. I had a few twin daggers on my watch list, wasn't planning on buying any of them, just watching to see what they were going for. I was weighing my options, buying the parts new vs. buying a parts truck. Well, after my buddy left I sat down to check eBay, with a pocket full of fresh cash, and wouldn't you know it, this one was just about to end. Got it for $90 shipped. Seller said it is barely used. Going to wait to go any further with the chassis until I get this.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Got the Twin Detonator today. The seller wasn't lying, looks like it barely been used. Feels like it already has bearings too. 8)

Probably won't get back to work on this until after Christmas at this point. I have to have my buddies son's truck ready for Christmas first. I'm building him an RC10T Call Of Duty/Army truck. :lol: :D

67CamaroSS
Approved Member

Post by 67CamaroSS »

Better shocks were the first thing i put on mine, actually used some gold associated front shocks all around, made a big difference. Lots of sellers on ebay for decent prices on other brands too.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

67CamaroSS wrote:Better shocks were the first thing i put on mine, actually used some gold associated front shocks all around, made a big difference. Lots of sellers on ebay for decent prices on other brands too.
I will definitely be using Associated shocks. Right now I am undecided between 1.02 and 1.32. Still working out exactly how I want to mount them to the chassis on top. I haven't done anything to this lately, but I am going to try to get back on it soon.