j-sou's many SRB projects

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

j-sou
Approved Member

j-sou's many SRB projects

Post by j-sou »

Thought I'd make a general thread for my SRB projects instead of a dozen slow threads. Then add them to my showroom as they are completed. As you're about to see there's a bunch of them and they are everywhere from almost complete to a pile of parts. I'll keep updating this thread as I make progress with them.

Here's a few of them to start to start:

Here's a couple old pics of the rough Team Pitstop Taipan that got me hooked. Chassis was cracked and it had a lot of wear. It came with a ton of other SRB stuff too.
And here it is now. I've about got everything collected for the rebuild, I just need to polish the cage and a few other parts. It will be all black, polished, and brass/copper when done. I even managed to find a black hardcase Tamiya style battery!
It's almost there! I can see the light at the end of the Taipan tunnel :lol: gomachv repoped the chassis for me in black!
Need to find a couple more of these CRP springs to finish off the look I was going for with the shocks

Next up is another car that's mostly aftermarket parts. Since the Taipan will be all black, I thought I would build this one all white. Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper. :lol:
I've got the CRP street tires on there now, but will probably switch over to the pictured White Dots and use the street set up on another car.
I've got to get the shocks sorted out for this one. I started repoping an aluminum mono rocker for the rear but hope to find an original one sometime. It may end up with front and rear sway bars too. There's some extra's around here somewhere.

This one isn't lacking too much to be complete. I got some new nerfs and rear cage for it. I'll probably polish that stuff up to match the chassis and install it this week.
I've got to figure out some coils for the front shocks though. This one will be 70's sand style with a fenderless Blitzer Beetle body. Black with gold trim.

Here's a pile of parts! MIP front end, MIP trailing arm rear suspension, MIP trans, etc. I've got another rear cage to use for this one. The pictured cage is a little rough.
Sadly no 4X kit :( but I'll find one some day!

Next I'd like you to meet Old Dirty Bastard! :lol: This one I've been building from all the beat up crappy left over parts. It should be pretty fun to run, and I won't have to worry about it getting dirty or damaged! I'm rebuilding the rear shocks and then need to add some equally as crappy electronics.

This is the buggy I picked up a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty cool! Homemade lexan tub, old MRP Mears body, coil overs, steel rear cage, etc. The chassis plate is aluminum. Not sure of CRP or anyone made an aluminum one, or if it's home made. Looks pretty good for home made, if that's the case!
It didn't come with any tires and wheels. I stuck some waffles on there for now. Need to find another set of 1.75 rear wheels to finish up the set I'll mount on it later.

That was a lot to start with... :lol: I'll post more later, and some updates as I make progress!
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

tiger1
Approved Member

Re: j-sou's many SRB projects

Post by tiger1 »

a great collection there :)

cooltoys
Approved Member

Post by cooltoys »

Lots of cool srb's there... Looking forward to more stuff... :D
Rc10 newbie...
Turbo ultima
Turbo optima project
Srb projects

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Holy cow - that´s a lot of extraordinary cool SRB´s
Gone fishing

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Interesting projects! I have some questions -

1. For the front suspension - I noticed that on a couple you have the shock tower extensions so you can use different shocks. Is this a fabricated part or can you buy it somewhere (like ebay)? I've seen this on many SRB's

2. For front steering linkages, I know most guys connect a couple of turnbuckles directly to the servo. I would like to do this but want to keep the stock radio box as intact as possible. Are there other solutions?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Sweeeeeeet! :D SRB heaven.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

RC104ever wrote:Interesting projects! I have some questions -

1. For the front suspension - I noticed that on a couple you have the shock tower extensions so you can use different shocks. Is this a fabricated part or can you buy it somewhere (like ebay)? I've seen this on many SRB's

2. For front steering linkages, I know most guys connect a couple of turnbuckles directly to the servo. I would like to do this but want to keep the stock radio box as intact as possible. Are there other solutions?
I think CRP and RCH both made shock extensions bitd. There were some with a slot cut in them that fit around the structural rib on the back of the stock shock tower too, if you weren't running the nylon towers. No one makes them now that I know of, but they wouldn't be hard to make.

For the servo, I have seen people mount them in the very front of the radio box (where the receiver normally sits) and drill a hole for the servo horn to stick through. You do have to drill the one hole though... The pic below isn't mine, but shows what I'm talking about. Some one on this board bought the pictured car iirc

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Wow! Lots of great SRB projects there. The MIP car is going to turn out killer. I love those old first generation transmissions

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

j-sou wrote:
RC104ever wrote:Interesting projects! I have some questions -

I think CRP and RCH both made shock extensions bitd. There were some with a slot cut in them that fit around the structural rib on the back of the stock shock tower too, if you weren't running the nylon towers. No one makes them now that I know of, but they wouldn't be hard to make. PM me if you need a template.

For the servo, I have seen people mount them in the very front of the radio box (where the receiver normally sits) and drill a hole for the servo horn to stick through. You do have to drill the one hole though... The pic below isn't mine, but shows what I'm talking about. Some one on this board bought the pictured car iirc
Awesome, thanks! I actually ended up using some RC10 shocks in the front and drilling holes in the roll bar to mount RC10 shocks in the rear. Works okay, a bit bouncy as the damping and springs are too stiff but who cares, its hella fun! As for the servo, I had thought of exactly the setup you pictured here, I just was a bit loathe to drill a hole in the box but I've already done one for the ESC wires so what's one more, lol.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Still love SRB all the time :)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

j-sou wrote: I think CRP and RCH both made shock extensions bitd. There were some with a slot cut in them that fit around the structural rib on the back of the stock shock tower too, if you weren't running the nylon towers. No one makes them now that I know of, but they wouldn't be hard to make
Here are the tower extensions J-sou is talking about. These were produced by CRP. CRP and RCH shared a few parts that were identical but I've never seen these in an RCH packaging

I would love to find a front bumper like the one pictured above. Looks similar to one I have made by Race Prep.

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Making a little progress. Fabbing some parts. There's a skid plate, new chassis and stiffener for my 2010, repop mono rocker, repop cantilever, and repop front shock extenders. One of those Race Prep cantilever sets recently sold on epay for $100 :lol: no thanks, I'll just make my own... :mrgreen:
The skid plate (lower left) is drilled, brushed, and ready for ano. The other parts still need to be cleaned up, holes drilled, etc. I got some parts cut for other non-SRB projects too.

I'll post up my MK1 now I guess! I have an MK2 I was going to restore, but then found this! Mostly assembled, but never finished, never driven. Complete with box, paperwork, sales receipt, and everything. It's amazing! I'll finish the assembly and box art the body at some point.

Anyone from Indianapolis remember Indy R/C Sales? Here's the receipt. 105 bucks in 1980! :shock:

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

...and here's my 2010 so far. It's got all the RC Channel crap installed on it. I'm making a new chassis and some other parts for it, and then will detail the body. Gotta decide on a paint scheme for this one!

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

ok, I need some help! How screwed am I here? I need a coil over set up on the front of this one, but am using the re-re shocks ano'd gold, not the stock 8mm. The re-re's are 9.5mm. Does anyone know of an aluminum collar, spring, and seat that will fit these shocks?? All I ever see are ones that fit the 8mm shocks (like to the left of the pic). :?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

How thick will your waterjet cut? It may be easier to just cut out clamps, either associated style with ears or delta type with the setscrew. I would imagine it would be a pretty simple cut either way....then we can always anno them if needed

Might even be able to get with a 3d printer and make some realistic looking upsize units.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website