Welcome to the new home of ClodTalk!

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Forum rules
Keep it all things Clod!
MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

BORIS 6x6x6 Bullhead/Clodbuster project

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I'm not normally one to post projects or progress shots, as I tend to get projects put together pretty quickly. This one is definitely different. I've wanted to make a 6x6x6 Clod/Bullhead for years. I happened to have 3 complete Clod gearboxes in my stash, then I happened upon a Sassy Chassis (as I later found out, an unauthorized Sassy Chassis knockoff) on eBay and the project began. First the chassis, this is a very nice chassis, although I don't think it's a genuine Sassy. The aluminum is slightly thicker than any Sassy Clod chassis I've owned, but for a project like this I didn't mind it being a knock-off, as the beefier aluminum is a good thing. I decided to four link the whole thing, and put 4 Associated shocks on each axle. I'm still deciding on motors, it will either be 3 Tamiya Sport Tuned motors or 3 silver cans. Nothing too crazy, I'm not looking to make a land missile with this one, although gearing will be taller than stock to give it some go. All three axles have Tactic HD/MG servos. I also have a PDI Turbo Zeta that I want to use in this, as they are kind of the ultimate old school Clod upgrade. Plus, I can run two six cell packs no problem. Eventually I plan to have extra bells and whistles on this thing, working lights, maybe a horn, who knows. It's going to be controlled by an 8 channel Airtronics surface radio, so I kind of want to go crazy using up those channels with cool stuff. I'm still debating on what to do with the rear of the truck. I'm definitely going to use the Bullhead body up front, but I'm not sure what to do with the rear. Leave it plain, make a roll back flat bed, make it into a semi-wrecker. Right now I'm leaning towards a roll-back as I think it would look cool and also be a fun way to play around with it and my other r/c cars and trucks.

I've decided to name it BORIS. Since it's based on a Tamiya Bullhead and Bullhead is the name of one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands (Melvins), and Boris is the opening track to that album. A song so good that another band named themselves after it. It's a massive song, this is a massive truck. :twisted:

IMG_4554.JPG
How I plan to lay out the electronics. Mmmm... Turbo Zeta. 8)
IMG_4555.JPG
Mattzilla bumper/servo mounts front and rear.
IMG_4556.JPG
I found the trickiest part of a truck like this is figuring out the center axle's steering. Even with stock length suspension arms, the front (or back) of the axle nearly scrapes the 3 axle's chassis mount. Putting another bumper/servo mount there was not an option. I might have been able to put a servo in the center of the front suspension mount of the lower chassis and run a rod like on the stock truck, but I was worried about the arm hitting the chassis when the suspension was fully compressed. Once I got the axle on, I realized that wasn't going to be a concern because there was ZERO room out front for anything, the clearance is about 1/16 of an inch. I want 4 shocks on each axle, so that makes conventional behind the axle servo set ups out of the question. So, I made a mount out of two pieces of angle aluminum and some plastic servo mounts. It attaches to two of the screws that connect the axle tube to the gear case. It requires major surgery to mount, but the servo is nicely tucked behind the motor and out of the way of the shocks and suspension links. I haven't hooked up the connecting link and servo saver yet, but I'm confident that this will work nicely. I wish I had gotten a better shot of it before I mounted it and buried it behind all the other parts. Oh well.
IMG_4558.JPG

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: BORIS 6x6x6 Bullhead/Clodbuster project

Post by SFC K »

Looking good so far! I am impressed with you trying the steering on all three axles with this rig. Can't wait to see a video of it in action.
Jeff

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I believe that chassis (sassy repop of sorts) was made by a clodtalk member...cant remember who but someone will chime in. cool truck
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

I believe the member you are thinking of is sicNme.

http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26057&start=525
Jeff

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

that a whole lotta truck right there!

8)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: BORIS 6x6x6 Bullhead/Clodbuster project updated 9/7/14

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Ok, it's been a while and I've made some serious progress. The truck up and running! It is still controlled by the Super Rooster, I haven't had time to tinker with the Turbo Zeta, but I hope to have that old beast powering this big beast when it's all said and done. It's running off a single 6 cell pack. I've made some mounts to hold two AE battery cups and run the battery through the hole in the center lower chassis. There are a still a few minor adjustments to make, but it's about 95% there.

I decided to go with a plain bed. I can always make something if the urge strikes. I did make a platform to hold a JBL bluetooth speaker to crank out some tunes though! I still need to figure out some tie downs for it. I've been thinking maybe a small 8 beer can cooler for the bed maybe, then I can drive it around the backyard and deliver beers to people. :lol: The cab was chopped a bit to lower it on the chassis. I'm not a fan of high sitting bodies. The bed was made from sheet styrene.

Anyway, I love this thing. It's 6 wheel drive, 6 wheel steering. The two rear axles steer together, independent of the front axle. It can steer with just the front axle, or get them all going for tight turns. It can also crab walk.

On to the pics:
Boris-1.jpg
Boris-2.jpg
Boris-3.jpg

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I've got my Zeta apart. I think they sealed them with silicone. I've even got a replacement battery. I'm just not sure about soldering to it. The one that is in there has some tabs between the wire and the battery. Will I need those, or can I just solder directly to the battery?

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Why not solder some wires to the current battery holder, run the wires out of the case, and buy one of those simple battery holders for button cells (available at your local electronics shop, hopefully)? Attach the wires to the battery holder and put the battery holder in a small case, which is doublesided to the ESC case.

Then replacing the battery is much easier, especially considering those batteries like to die every few years.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I like Boris 8)
Gone fishing

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Very cool, nice work! 8)
Would love to see a video of it running!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Hmm, interesting battery ideas. I like that idea of the external battery, yet I'd like to keep it as original as possible and there are only 4 screws to remove to get to the battery. Not sure what to do yet.

mk-Zero, I definitely plan to make some videos of the truck running and showing off its features. Might be a little bit, but I'll get some up on youtube.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »