Jamie Booth Egress picture

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Jamie Booth Egress picture

Post by GoMachV »

I think he was speaking of the suspension arms, the ball ends are factory Egress parts. They do look just like the Super Clod ends
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

o sorry :lol:

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

wydraz wrote:Did you know Jamie beat Masami in 2 of the 3 A-finals in 1987?

Also, Masami TQ'd the 1st qualifier with no shock oil in the shocks of the CAT XL that was given to him. Legend.
Yes, I did :lol: 8)

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

Ok so here goes :)

As some of you may know, Jamie and I have been talking over the past few months, mainly about the iconicrc revival race which took place on 27th July (it was fantastic) but also about the only remnant (ie car) that Jamie has left from his shining racing career, his 1990 Egress which is the subject of this thread.
This car has been discussed on TamiyaClub and RC10talk but hasn't seen the light of day until now.....Jamie found it in his garage and has kindly entrusted me with the task of rebuilding it into something he can display and remind him of them good ol' days - he handed me a red plastic box of bits complete with what I'm sure were cobwebs.....

Many of the parts are bespoke 1-off items which were custom made by Tamiya Japan for Jamie to test. The eagle eyed will spot the blue wishbones and alloy hangers together with the red knuckles shared with other models (Hotshot/2/Top Force)......unfortunately in a rare lapse of concentration Jamie smacked the car into a post and snapped it in 2....so far I've fitted a new lower chassis and have fitted what I have remaining from the top deck but will need another.......I was thinking of cleaning all parts but I think it's nicer to preserve the 'just raced' look and feel for this car.

I'd really appreciate all your input to get this buggy back to life. Does anyone have this issue of Radio Race Car from August 1990 that you can post in higher resolution? You can see the car in the bottom right of the magazine article in below pic. 1st Booth, 2nd Drescher, 3rd Moore.

I've sourced a propshaft from Jon Cryer (iconicrc) and have already bought some new wheels, he was using Schumacher full spikes so I can get some of those too (only need the narrow fronts, same as commonly used on CAT XLS). It also needs a wing wire and mount hardware. Terry I'm sure will chip in :)

Can any of you help the project with the following?:

Top Deck
Wing wire
Wing mount (clamp for wing with screws etc)
I'll buy a new shell/tray and wing and get them painted as per original car

I think that is all I need - I had a few transmission parts which I have used in my Tamiya box.

Cheers and enjoy this piece of Tamiya/TRF history which Jamie may well race again next year.

Dan

[email protected]

Next to my 1989 Egress:

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

Darren Styles told me there were 3 prototypes given to the UK drivers to test but this car of Jamie's was the only one with independant wishbones all round - and it proved to be the best on track.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

If you have a broken upper to copy I can knock that out for you
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

This?

It also has the sway bar link I see you're missing. Its yours for postage if you want it. You may have to dirty it up a bit to match the car though! :lol:

"It's not broken, it's British!"

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

i should have that rrc scanned in high resolution. Wait a few days and i can post them here or to Your email.

i can also check Masaaki www-pages if there is some pics more.

jirka

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I just noticed the alloy rear spring cups. :shock: Very cool.

And the front springs are the same as on my Egress. I have been looking for the correct bronze ones to replace them for a dogs age. Not going to bother now that I know they are a period correct spring. Thanks for that! :mrgreen:

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

Thanks all!

Jeff I have about 70% of the top deck, I'll try and trace the dimensions and send a sketch.

Jirka, a hi-res scan would be great thanks a lot and if you do find any other pics of the car please let me know - it had a plain white body and clear wing with only decals applied - Nosram, RCM, KO, Tamiya and 'Awesome' plus some Japanses on rear wing.

8rad that's it! Do you have the countersunk cone washers and screws/nuts for the wing too?

Many thanks!

Dan

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

wydraz wrote:Thanks all!

Jeff I have about 70% of the top deck, I'll try and trace the dimensions and send a sketch.
The only problem is that the router needs that edge, I can't trace a tracing :( if you could get me the pieces and a drawing of the missing portion I could make that work, or even a tracing in wood or plastic, something with an edge. Do you know how thick the material is? The stuff I have is probably too thick but I will donate my time, material and shipping to help the cause if you need me
Factory Works website

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

gomachv wrote:
wydraz wrote:Thanks all!

The only problem is that the router needs that edge, I can't trace a tracing :( if you could get me the pieces and a drawing of the missing portion I could make that work, or even a tracing in wood or plastic, something with an edge. Do you know how thick the material is? The stuff I have is probably too thick but I will donate my time, material and shipping to help the cause if you need me
Really appreciate that - I'll check when I get home but I'm sure it's standard Egress material thickness, I'll confirm later.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

8rad that's it! Do you have the countersunk cone washers and screws/nuts for the wing too?
I will have a look.
I see a complete upper deck in the pictures. Couldnt you use that one or use that for cutting a new one?

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

I've had a very unproductive evening even though I spent 2 hours on the car.

My donor egress arrived today so I set to work robbing the parts I needed and even removed the chassis and top deck to fit onto Jamies car...... not a 2 minute job to do in a tidy way.

I assembled it all and then realised not only is the chassis with Jamies car longer than the standard Egress but also has factory drilled and countersunk holes for the rear pivot blocks.... These are not found on normal Egress chassis. The included top deck is standard length and I do not have all the parts from the broken top deck.

So the only option now is to get a new lwb top deck made (gomachv :) )

One other hurdle is the propshaft which is about 15mm too short. ... is another longer one available?

Thanks,

Dan

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

just get me the pieces you can, and a drawing of the rest- i can get it pretty close! If you have an intact stock one to loan, I might be able to use it to fill in the gaps on the broken pieces and keep it looking like Tamiya made it. I do that a lot, by combining parts to make similar yet stock appearing variants

Ill send you a PM with my mailing address, no hurry but then you'll have it when your ready.
Factory Works website