restoring Original TA02T chassis

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

p.phresh

restoring Original TA02T chassis

Post by p.phresh »

Hey guys, I have dug out my old Tamiya Ford F-150 Baja and have decided to restore it and get it running again.

I originally got it back in 1995 when it was originally released, and over the years of bashing it, and salvaging it for parts for other kits, it was tossed aside with broken bits and missing parts.

Now I'm going to try and rebuild it so I can run it again with my daughter and hopefully she and I can get some fun out of it. My wife said I couldn't buy a new one, so I'm restoring an old one! But at this point it probably would have been cheaper to buy a new re-re of the same kit!

So much has changed in nearly 20 years. I can't believe how easy it is to find parts and how cheap and accessible it has all become.

I have several parts on order, including new wheels and tires, aluminum shock towers, aluminum motor mount, and drive shaft as well as some stock replacement parts.

I also picked up a TBG repro F150 body, and I'm trying to source out some decals. I also ordered the TBG Prerunner body, and now I'm contemplating an Original Tamiya Stadium Blitzer body with decals i found on Ebay.

Anyways, I have a few questions I couldn't google answers to...

Does anyone know if the Stadium Blitzer body will fit the TA02 Chassis and work with the large offroad tires the TA02T comes with (the BFGoodrich tires... 96mm I believe).

My motor and motor mount were missing from the chassis when I pulled it out, I am replacing the motor mount and the motor, and going from the manual there's also a motor plate that sits between the mount and the motor, what is the purpose of this plate? What is the material it's made from? I've seen aftermarket aluminum motor plates for sale, but is this really necessary? Could I just make a new using material around the house?

Also, the original kit came with a spacer to put in place so you could mount the pinion gear at the correct position. I don't have this spacer anymore, can someone tell me how far that pinion gear should be from the motor mount?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

67CamaroSS
Approved Member

Re: restoring Original TA02T chassis

Post by 67CamaroSS »

I believe the stadium blitzer is a direct fit on the chassis and the body mounts since its the same body (or at least very similiar) as the Toyota Prerunner which was the first TA02 Truck.

The paper spacer on the motor I think was to keep dirt out and I dont think its necessary.

As for the spacer on the pinion, I think i just did trial and error but I'm sure i have a TA02 with a motor in it at home that I could measure for you.

Hope this helps.

p.phresh

Post by p.phresh »

Thanks, it is much appreciated.

Once my extra parts start rolling in, I'll post up pictures of the old car.

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

It wa re-released and all the parts are available. I need to pick up another actually.

I love my Baja, I run it with an Aveox mild brushless and it hauls. I left the tires unglued to act as a slipper, sort of. With the brushless and LiPo the instant torque is quite a lot if you get trigger happy.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Ta01-02 are my favorite Tamiya. Perfect beater design. Id like to do up a hummer.