TL01 General Lee project

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: TL01 General Lee project

Post by SFC K »

Well, I got some more work done. I used M03 front arms for the front and HPI touring shocks all around. I had to use internal springs for the fronts. The stock springs were kind of getting in the way and provided to much spring raising the front more than I wanted. I hope they work out on my first test run.

Body is all mounted up now. Was very easy to do via the stock plastic body mounting studs from the body. Fab up so make shift mounts and they seem to work pretty good.

I still have to work on the Vector wheels. Easy off was not working to strip the paint off so I'm just going to buy new wheels. I mounted some vintage wheels from HPI for the time being to see what it would look like.

I do like the stance of it but the real wheels need to be tucked in a bit more. I'm going to get some 31mm HPI Stock car wheels with 0 offset for the rear and 26mm wheels for the front. with 0 offset as well.

Mocked up wheel

Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Coming along nicely! You've got the front end looking just about perfect. The rear tires stick out too much, true...but sucking those in might prove to be a bigger challenge than what you faced with the wheelbase. I had that issue with CYANide; you might have to look at shorter control arms, rear hubs that don't stick out so much (Lazer ZX-5 rear hubs can be had for cheap, no idea if they'll fit your control arms, though), but then that requires shorter CVD bones or dogbones...for me, narrowing the track width was the most challenging part of that build. :?

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I LIKE it! :D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Thanks guys! It's been a fun project so far.

@ Coel Your CYANide build is awesome by the way. 8) I will be looking at what I can do to get the rear wheels tucked under. I just need the wheels to get here first so I can see how much needs to be changed. I have some ideas, but need the wheels first. :wink:
Jeff

backlash
Approved Member

Post by backlash »

Can you still get the same wheel base if you fit the M03 rear arms as well?

Use M03 dog bones or CVD/Uni's to replace the TL01 bones..

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

@ Backlash, I tried and I think the wheels will be tucked in too far. I am going to try it on one side just to validate it. I have HPI RS4 dog bones in it now due to the angle.

Well, I got my new wheels in. I really like them but now I have to find a new ring for the center. These are 1mm off-set HPI wheels. The diameter of the other white rings I had is too small. So now I will have to scour the earth to find something that will work.

Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's gettin' there...looking pretty good!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Coelacanth wrote:That's gettin' there...looking pretty good!
Thank you!

I went ahead an tried the rear arm from the M01 and they will work great. Now I need to find some dog bones that are between 30mm and 34mm long. I have one dog bone from a TLT that is 36mm pin to pin but just a tad to long. I think TT-01's at 30mm will work. Now I just need to find two.

Going with the shorter arms, mounting the shocks is going to be another issue but I want to make sure I can get the right length bones first before I go modifying it again.
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

SFC K wrote:
Now I need to find some dog bones that are between 30mm and 34mm long. I have one dog bone from a TLT that is 36mm pin to pin but just a tad to long. I think TT-01's at 30mm will work. Now I just need to find two.
Before you buy anything, let me check what I have tomorrow night. In my attempts to find CVDs & bones to work with the AYK Buffalo and CYANide cars, I gathered a few that were pretty short and might fit the bill. I'll let you know on the weekend.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Looks great! I would love to know if the chrome on that Charger is painted, or plated. Is the front bumper molded with the body?

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Coelacanth wrote:
SFC K wrote:
Now I need to find some dog bones that are between 30mm and 34mm long. I have one dog bone from a TLT that is 36mm pin to pin but just a tad to long. I think TT-01's at 30mm will work. Now I just need to find two.
Before you buy anything, let me check what I have tomorrow night. In my attempts to find CVDs & bones to work with the AYK Buffalo and CYANide cars, I gathered a few that were pretty short and might fit the bill. I'll let you know on the weekend.
Thanks! That would be great! 8) I have drill this weekend so I won't be doing much with it at all.
marlo wrote:Looks great! I would love to know if the chrome on that Charger is painted, or plated. Is the front bumper molded with the body?
The Chrome is painted around the windows but the front and rear bumper are plated. The front Bumper and grill area are separate pieces. I hope that helps.
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

SFC K wrote:
Hi again, SFC K...I checked my stash of CVD/U-joint & dogbone parts and unfortunately, my shortest one is a CVD bone that's 36mm from the crosspin to the crosspin-hole in the cup end. I thought I had some shorter ones...sorry!

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

No worries and I appreciate you looking for me. I'm just going to order some then.

Thanks again!
Jeff

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Just a suggestion, but maybe some orange on the wheels somewhere to offset the look? Or some white lettering on the rubber to break it up abit?

ratrod63

Post by ratrod63 »

That looks really cool. Now you need to build Rosco's police car.