TL01 General Lee project

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: TL01 General Lee project

Post by SFC K »

Diamond Dave wrote:Just a suggestion, but maybe some orange on the wheels somewhere to offset the look? Or some white lettering on the rubber to break it up abit?
Dave, I'm going to be modifying these wheels to look like these. I just need to find some center rings and then I can start making the fins. :D
ratrod63 wrote:That looks really cool. Now you need to build Rosco's police car.
Thanks! I need to finish this one first. :wink:
Attachments
General-Lee-Custom-Wheels2a-e1367208056267.jpg
Jeff

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Thatd be as close as you could get UNless made the mold yourself to have them made. :lol: 8) DON

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

THUNDERSTRIKE1 wrote:Thatd be as close as you could get UNless made the mold yourself to have them made. :lol: 8) DON

If I had the mold, I would make a bunch of them! :lol: In all seriousness, These wheels are really going to be tedious work to get them to look right.
Jeff

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Tedious for sure, if you follow some of the ideas in the picture I am sure you will get it.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Well, I ordered some TT-01 dog bones and well, they are the right length, but they are double the thickness and are not even close to fitting in the drive cups. Back to the drawing board I guess. Anyone here have any other ideas on a dog bone that would work with the TL-01?

Stock TL-01 dog bone is on the left. I need between 30-34mm to make it work.

Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Jeff, I was going through my Optima dogbones and found this one, it's about 34.5mm from the center of crosspin-to-crosspin. The ball is a bit smaller though, as you can see compared to an Optima stock dogbone. It's yours for the cost of shipping. The only problem is, I only have one. :? I don't know how I ended up with only one, but my guess is this dogbone might be for the narrow front end of the Kyosho EP/GP-10 series of on-road cars, basically on-road versions of the Optima chassis. Maybe somebody else can hook you up with a second one, or happens to know what car or part number belongs to this dogbone?
Attachments
ShortDogbone.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Thanks for looking for me! :wink: I think I found what I need after hours of searching last night. I ordered part number 9805583 Dog Bone set for M chassis cars. It took me forever to find the length but it turns out that these are 31mm. I hope it is right, if not I will take you up on your one. :wink: I hope this is the last hurdle for this build.
Jeff

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Well, the 31mm bones did not work, too short. They measurements on them were actually 30mm pin to pin. Man, I’m going back to the drawing board on this. I need 34mm bones to make this work but can’t find specs on all the different types out there.

I have some spare axle carries from my Sprint that I am going to retro fit onto the arms but will be going back to the longer arms in the rear to make up the difference. I want this to be perfect so I won’t stop until it is. :)

Coelacanth, I would take you up on your offer, but trying to find another one will be difficult and is so close to 36mm, it might not work. I'm tired of buying bones that won't work... :evil:
Jeff

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Well, success! I mounted up the HPI Axle carriers (had to take 2mm off to fit the M03 arms) from my RS4 3 SS, with the use of the axles as well, and I can use the 30mm dog bones I got and all fit with no issues. I will post picture later on... :wink:

I just need to run to the HS and replace the parts I stole from my nitro now. :lol:
Jeff

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Awesome! There's nothing like discovering a solution or upgrade to modernize a vintage car and have everything fit properly. 8) It's kind of a "Eureka moment" when you discover a modern, high-strength part that'll swap in for a problematic vintage part.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

No kidding and I have been trying all kinds of different parts to get it right. At first I thought it worked, until I tried to mount a wheel. :shock: Well, your going to like what I had to do next. Read on... :wink:

I finally have the rear where I want it now as for width. I ended up going back to the TL-01 axle carriers. The HPI units worked but because they lowered the axle somewhat, the wheels did not fit. I ended up using the HPI axle with a 2mm 5x10x2mm oilite bearing so the hex pin was against the bearing face. Worked great and with the extra length on the cup side the 30mm dog bones worked perfect.

I also lowered the body in the rear to tuck the rear wheels in the rear wheel wheels. I had some Endless wheel covers laying around and mounted them onto the HPI Stock car wheels. I was going to cut out ever other spoke to see how it looked, but I tried removing some on another pair I had and they did not turn out well at all. I think these look ok, for now. I still need to finish all the wheels which is going to be a tedious process.

Jeff

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Now that is looking proper buddy! I really like the stance now. Going to get some video of it next time the car gets an outdoor test?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Excellent work! Necessity is the mother of invention, eh? 8)

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

I want to see it in action.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

As an owner of a General Lee I always love these types threads. I built an RC General Lee on a DS platform but like seeing what other people come up with.

Good work.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !