Decals lifting

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

beyondthepack

Decals lifting

Post by beyondthepack »

Hey guys got a Hornet for Christmas from My wife,. Finishing the build, and when I put the decals on the body all is good, but in a few days they begin to lift. Is there any suggestion for sealing to the body?

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Decals lifting

Post by shodog »

There is no way to seal a lexan body. It's important that your hands and body are oil free when applying decals. Your best bet is to wash the body with dawn soap, even under the lifting decals. This will remove the oils but won't wash the adhesive away. Let it dry, then rub down the decals. If that doesn't work, then get another set of decals and start over.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... A lot of guys over at Tamiyabase with clear-coat their bodies after applying the decals. This helps. If mine lift after time I simple add a very small dab of C/A to hold it back down.
102 RC vehicles and counting...

Champ85
Approved Member

Post by Champ85 »

Sometimes using a hair dryer helps activate the adhesive. Especially helpful for decals going around corners/bends.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

clear coat only works on the hardbody's (styrene).

retrorobot
Approved Member

Post by retrorobot »

I heard there is 3M spray adhesive that some people have used to make stickers sticky again. I never tried it myself you could give a try. I wouldn't advise using CA glue because they you just renion the body if you ever want to remove the decal but i guess in your case since you want to seal the decals it doesn't matter.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

retrorobot wrote:I heard there is 3M spray adhesive that some people have used to make stickers sticky again.
That's definitely tacky stuff, I used it when restoring my Charger's heater box, you use it to glue all the foams & gaskets to the metal (painted steel in this case). It really works well for spongy, foamy stuff, but not sure how it would work for vinyl stickers, but it might be worth a try.
Attachments
HeaterBoxDone2.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

I use a cigarette lighter and move the flame quickly over the decals after it has been applied. Works particularly well on curved sections.