VW bus

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gumbajv
Approved Member

VW bus

Post by gumbajv »

I was hoping to use a M-02 or 04 chassis to build this, but no luck. So I made the chassis and used left over M05 parts and a combination of Yeah Racing & 3Racing M-05 parts. I made the chassis as narrow as possible.
The dif & pinion gear are the large & small gears that fit inside the dif spur gear. The axles were shortened and I used a spacer w/super gel glue to hold them together. There are 2 pick points on the front suspension using the 3Racing adjustable camber kit. The front & rear suspensions are self contained on the aluminum center blocks, which are held in place with 2 screws. The wheel base is adjustable. Widened HPI Fuchs on the rear, and narrowed HPI Fuchs on the front. Full lock to lock steering, and the back tires clear the inside of the body. With a 2:1 gear ratio I went with a 85T crawler motor, HobbyKing esc ($10.00) and 2S lipo.

integra22t
Approved Member

Re: VW bus

Post by integra22t »

that looks cool .. i wanted to do a vw bettle body on my m05 but got side tracked by other cars

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice, that looks like a quarter-mile magic bus! I love seeing stuff like this...modding a chassis to custom-fit a particular body and making it look right is quite an undertaking. Great work. 8)

The best part? You've built an RC that's unlike any other; nobody else has a car quite like that one.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

That is awesome! Will you build me one? Seriously!
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Man this is truly one of kind! I love it! You did a really nice job on all the custom bits and good tip for shortening dog bones. Where were you a week ago when I was customizing a TL-01 chassis to fit a General Lee body? :mrgreen: :lol:

Nice job! 8)
Jeff

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

This is killer mate congratulations,love the Fuchs wheels... A discrete powered by Porsche badge would be sweet..

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Very cool!! 8)

gumbajv
Approved Member

Post by gumbajv »

Glad to see some bus fans.
The bus build was part of a Bonneville Salt Flats tribute, and goes with this build done last year. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33754. I have a soft spot for car haulers.
SFC K: I've been sliding the bus around on hardwood floors, the Super Glue gel is still holding the axles together. The second option was to put a couple of set screws through the spacer into the axles.
Bully: The bus is similar to my '68 VW Crewcab running a modified 911 3.2.
mk-Zero: 231hp in a bug must be a blast.
thanks.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Love it! :D

Nice build!
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...