Kit #58002 Martini Porsche 935 Turbo

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cooltoys
Approved Member

Re: Kit #58002 Martini Porsche 935 Turbo

Post by cooltoys »

mk-Zero wrote:Photographed by me in the Stuttgart Porsche museum. As usual, Tamiya did an excellent job in capturing the derails of the car.

Tamiya really did good on the details. They actually take the real car to their factory to copy it. :D I have some photos of the cars they have in the Tamiya factory in Shizuoka somewhere..
Rc10 newbie...
Turbo ultima
Turbo optima project
Srb projects

NWarty
Approved Member

Post by NWarty »

tamiyadan wrote:Go to a model show and have a talk to the people that put 200 hours into a project and see what they say.
I stopped counting at 750 hours on my 1/350 CVN-68 Nimitz build :shock: :lol:
A bit different

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

NWarty
Approved Member

Post by NWarty »

That is absolutely gorgeous Dan :shock: :shock: :shock: And the Frog too :lol:

My father built my sister's dollhouse around 1987 or so from a kit also which they still have to this day. The amount of work that must be is unreal.

But dat furniture 8)
A bit different

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

The doll's house is very nice :shock: and I can fully believe it takes 100's of hours to complete, but you're missing my point. Although a whole 1/12 scale model can indeed take you 100's of hours (but this is a choice), the body itself likely won't (maybe on a bad resin model...), especially not on a R/C car meant for running. Note that I don't count paint drying time as time spent building a model, because I'm not watching paint dry - literally. If I did, any of my models, even the really simple ones (single piece resin), would have 100's of hours building time...

For example, I'm currently working on a cute super deformed car. I must have about 10 hours work on it, including the little diorama I scratch-build over the weekend. If I were to count soaking the resin bits in dishwashing liquid addled water and primer and paint drying time, then I can happily add about 10 x 24 hours - but that isn't literally time I spent working on the kit (I used that time for other, more important things).

It also all depends on your model building philosophy.
You can be anal about all of the details of your kit and take 1-2 years or more for a model, finishing it perfectly (often more 'perfectly' than the real thing), and after a while you'll get burnt out on model building because the model is never perfect enough.
Or you can go to the point where the model is good enough, where fixing its flaws does not become not a frustrating enterprise, and call it a day and continue with the next step or model.

Personally, I went through the first thing. It sucks - anytime you want to start another model you begin to hate the mere thought of the type of work you'll have to do to make it 'look good'. Models are never finished, and many end up shelved because you just can't get 'em 'right'. It's depressing.
Now I do my models using the other way. Not only I am getting a lot of models done, my skills are also improving at a much higher rate than before. And I realize it is not about fixing all of the flaws, it is about making the errors in places no one will ever see. 8)

So, to get back to the Porsche 935 Turbo body, I see the following steps: Basic clean-up and filling the greater defects => let it dry => wet-sand => dry => apply primer => dry => repeat last four steps as needed until you're happy with the result (2-3 times ought to do it) => paint => check for defects (fix if necessary) => decals => glosscoat (not if stickers instead of decals) => buff it up. I would not go the whole way of building it as a real scale model, because running it once would trash the perfect finish - mishaps happen after all, and that would make a lot of work a waste of time.
Now, of the steps I've mentioned, for the average person who is not a scale model builder, most could be ignored, as such people won't notice the defects in the finishing anyway. At least, so is my experience with non-modellers who see my models. I see a lot of flaws, they think they're great. 8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sweet! But where's Barbie & Ken? :P
tamiyadan wrote:this took me 6 months of endless construction
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »