Help with TamTech GB-01 Fox Slipper / Brushless / Lipo

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

huminski
Approved Member

Help with TamTech GB-01 Fox Slipper / Brushless / Lipo

Post by huminski »

Running a 1/18th scale TamTech Fox (GB01 Chassis) with a newly installed Turnigy 5800kv system on 2S.

Melted the diff after about 3 packs, I assumed the slipper was what was slipping but I was obviously mistaken.

I ordered the last two diffs that Tower had left in their stock (sorry anyone else lol) and have been running the first replacement for a few packs now. Have it just about locked, but not quite, and it has been working great. Does not slip at all but I still get differential action.

My problem is now the slipper. I could not get it to slip, so I took it apart and found that the slipper plates were fused to the spur. There are no friction pads in these cars, just plastic on plastic for the slipper. With the pathetic stock brushed motor that's fine, but as soon as it slips under brushless power it melts the entire assembly together, locking it.

Anyone else running relatively high power in one of these GB-01 cars (Fox, Frog, Hornet, etc) have any suggestions? It runs fine with everything in lock-up mode, but I am obviously worried about the longevity of the transmission parts. Not sure if I have the clearance required to install custom cut slipper pads and still have everything fir together right.

Thanks!!

huminski
Approved Member

Re: Help with TamTech GB-01 Fox Slipper / Brushless / Lipo

Post by huminski »

Bumpety Bump, ideas?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

5800 kV is a LOT of RPM in a 1/18-scale chassis...nearly 50,000 RPM on 8.4V. The fastest brushed motors of the 80's barely exceeded 30,000 RPM back in the day...and that's 1/10-scale. The question is: Why are you surprised? 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Lol, I'm not surprised :) :) :)

Right now I'm running her a bit gently in lockup mode, was just wondering if someone else who might have experience with these chassis might know of either a way to fabricate a slipper that will fit, or of a drop in part from another vehicle that may work.