what to get

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rfoxloon20

what to get

Post by rfoxloon20 »

Im getting back into rc after a 20 year absence, got married had 3 kids, put myself through college, got a good job, got seperated from wife had to move back home etc. After my best friend gave me a kyosho triumph that was a basket case and I revamped it and got it going the rc bug has bitten me, hard. I pulled the trigger on a trf 201 and got that assembled(nice kit btw) now im gathering electronics for it. Anyway Ive always had a weakness for tamiyas, so I am getting 2 of my kids rc cars for christmas. Im going to go with tamiyas and Ive decided on a neo scorcher for my 18 year old boy, up in the air as to what to get my 10 year old daughter. I want to keep it simple but want something that is not a piece of junk either. Im thinking al8ng the lines of a sand viper or a simple buggy kit. Id l7ke to keep it around the 130 price range and there a loads of tamiyas on amazon for that or less as I need to get electonics for her car as well. Ive not really heard anything good about the dt02, dt03, or the wheelie kits which doesnt leave many to choose from. I dont want to buy something that will discourage her but really like the dt02 type chassis. I then thought about some of the shaft drive road/rally type cars that are around the 130 range. I also considered the grasshopper and hornet along with the rising fighter, desert gator, holiday buggy, frog, lunch box, sand rover, pumpkin and super fighter. I really like the hornet price range as I need to get her a flysky gt2b, servo and battery so the cheaper the better but dont want to get bitten inthe rearend by skimping. Ive also really considered an m05, m06 or tt01 car as well but they are a little more. I went with the neo scorcher for the boy because it seemed to be the best value I.e. 4wd, decent chassis, easily upgradable etc. I could just go the easy route and get them a kyosho axxe or a next or one of the 120 dollar rtr packages on amazon but really look forward to building it with them, keeping mostly the same brand and l
ike the parts availability and upgrade selection of the tamiya line. Everyone first rc should be a tamiya, right?
Sorry for the long post just wanted to give some perspective on what I am looking for and why, any suggestions and critisism are welcome. Thank you for your time.

dsmith
Approved Member

Re: what to get

Post by dsmith »

this was my daughter's fav.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11IZLtz6x9w

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

My first RC was The Frog. I wouldn't do it the same if I had a do-over. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

you'll get the most fun out of a Midnight Pumpkin or wild willy2

bxlt
Approved Member

Post by bxlt »

shodog wrote:you'll get the most fun out of a Midnight Pumpkin or wild willy2
X2 on that or the Lunchbox (same as the Midnight Pumpkin) I bought one for my 4 year old and forgot how much fun they are to drive, as I don't drive any of my cars anymore

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I would go with a 4wd rally car like the porsche cayenne, or one of the df03 buggies. Might be a little over buget, but Fast, durable, and not really collectable so it dosent hurt to run em hard!

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

I have decided to stick with the neo scorcher for the boy as there are many upgrades available and it comes with the tble02 esc and a torque tuned motor I think, I will hook him up with some bearings when we build it. For my daughter I think I am going to get the lunchbox and upgrade it as she learns I.e. bearings, oil shocks, 5th shock mod, shock tower braces, crp front end kit etc.(I love working on these things). Thank you for the replies!

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

Well, I got my daughter a lunchbox and ballrace kit and the boy a neo scorcher with ballrace kit and the upper arm/tie rod turnbuckle kit. Its a start.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Word of warning about the tamiya kit supplied esc. They are weak! Dont let water any where near it, not even a drop, and dont push it too hard with faster motors. They are built to a bare minimum,, and will smoke with the slightest provocation.

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

I am aware of the subpar kit supplied esc tamiya unloads on the general public, I think the lunchbox now has the tble 02s brushless esc and the scorcher has the 105bk if not the tble02s as well, but I am prepared to be corrected. The kits are wrapped and sitting in front of me now I dont want to give my kids unsealed kits to satisfy my urge to find out. Anyway I am fully prepared to upgrade the esc as necessary, thank you.

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I like the Tamiya ESC's very much - I have had no problems with them.

I use several (101BK, 104BK, 103BK (dual motor),
I use silver-can or black-can (Sport Tuned) motors, and 2s LiPo batteries.
I have had no issues with excessive heat or any other issues.

I also use a TBLE-01 Brushless ESC w/TBLM 12-turn motor - no issues at all.
-dldiaz

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I havent tried the brushless ESC yet. I have fried the brushed ESCs though. Its hard to tell a kid " dont go through a puddle" WHen thats the funnest and most exciting thing in site.

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

dldiaz wrote:I like the Tamiya ESC's very much - I have had no problems with them.

I use several (101BK, 104BK, 103BK (dual motor),
I use silver-can or black-can (Sport Tuned) motors, and 2s LiPo batteries.
I have had no issues with excessive heat or any other issues.

I also use a TBLE-01 Brushless ESC w/TBLM 12-turn motor - no issues at all.
I am sure that they are ok units I just cannot believe that until very recently they were still supplying esc units that needed a bec circuit or your reciever might fry.
is anyone aware if they are now including the tble 02s as standard speed controlers now thst the 101bk are no longer being produced? If so I am going to swap out my daughters lunchbox esc with a 120a brushed unit so I can install it in my trf 201, the wait is hard I want to try this buggy out and im sure a regular esc will be fine in the lunchbox until we go brushless. I have a neewer 120a esc in my kyosho triumph and it handles the super stock lemans 34 no problem.